Any good chassis dynos in midwest?

-

zinser72

Reaction score
later on last year i finally got my duster up and running and i have about 1000 miles on the motor but it seems sluggish with a dead spot in the throttle. the plugs look good but the car stinks pretty bad. im looking for a knowledgeable person with a chassis dyno in the midwest. i would like to stay within a couple hrs of milwaukee area just in case theres issues and i need to tow it home :sad1:

in short im looking for a good shop to take my car that knows mopars and holleys well. i have a double pumper with billet metering blocks and 4 corner idle and not the slightest clue what im doing. i really regret not tuning it before it went in the car but too late now. are there any gurus around here? thanks!

for those that might want to know here's a quick run down of the combo:

forged crank, scat i beams, arp rod bolts,kb 167's zero decked, EQ heads with 2.02/1.60 valves, hyd roller cam (forgot exact specs, pretty conservative on duration and roughly .525 lift i think) windage tray, kevko pan and pickup, lifter crossover with modified oil passages, rpm air gap, cheapo headers, and a holley 750 mech secondary (i know its probably not the best choice but i got a good deal on it) car runs great cruising at part throttle, just doesnt feel right wide open. only went past 6k once since it seems unhappy

Some tune up shops in your area might have them. Precision Tune down here used to, but they would only stand around 350 HP at the wheels. I had a friend that owned a franchise back in the early 80s and we used to go all the time. Always had to back off because the tires would smoke on the roller.

UTI trade school usually brings a chassis dyno for thier "open house" every year. They are near chicago.

im not looking for someone to tell me a number, im looking for someone to help me tune it. change jets, power valves, adjust secondaries, timing curves ect. i do have some extra dist. springs and an adjustable advance limiter plate but im looking for an old expert to help me out...i dont even know of any other mopars around here. im all alone haha thanks for the responses though!

thanks for the reply, i looked into that and also west bend dyno tuning. they both seem identical in price and experience so based off of distance alone i think im going to use west bend, ill update with results if anyones interested. im scheduled for may 19th, hopefully it holds together. i know im getting off topic now but what would you guys think redline should be? i have the rev limiter set at 7200 right now, planning to shift at 7k if the powers there...

thanks for the reply, i looked into that and also west bend dyno tuning. they both seem identical in price and experience so based off of distance alone i think im going to use west bend, ill update with results if anyones interested. im scheduled for may 19th, hopefully it holds together. i know im getting off topic now but what would you guys think redline should be? i have the rev limiter set at 7200 right now, planning to shift at 7k if the powers there...
You didn't say if you have it balanced or not my guess is you did,(I hope you did) I wouldn't run it all the time at 7000, some do some don't but the trip to the dyno will tell you more than guessing.

HECK YEA!!! Post up the numbers after the session!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes fully balanced with a fluidampr and aluminum flywheel. looking back i dont know why i skimped on pistons, that seems to be the weak link in my setup. oh well, nothing im gonna do about it now haha but i wish i could dyno it tomorrow. im really impatient now

Dropping it off tomorrow! They said theyll need it all week though so i wont have any info til next weekend. This is my first build...hope it holds together!

This must be vary hard to just be waiting!!!!! I would love to be there watching them do it if I could.

just got the car back! it put down 320whp/320wtq so considering its just a lowly 318 im pretty happy with almost 400hp at the crank! i dont know how to upload dyno sheets but peak torque is at 3900 and peak hp at 6300rpm. the curve looks nice but right after peak power it takes a nose dive and the tuner stopped pulls there. he said it looks like the valves are floating so i cant help but wonder if theres a few more horses on top. but all in all im happy and ill just enjoy it the way it is. set the limiter at 6400 and drive it!

i didnt get to see it on the dyno but it drives great now. the biggest gains are in cruising. it was at about 11afr before and 13.8 now so it feels so crisp and picks up rpm quickly.

to try to make this thread useful to someone else West Bend Dyno Tuning took really good care of me and id recommend them to anyone in the area.

just got the car back! it put down 320whp/320wtq so considering its just a lowly 318 im pretty happy with almost 400hp at the crank! i dont know how to upload dyno sheets but peak torque is at 3900 and peak hp at 6300rpm. the curve looks nice but right after peak power it takes a nose dive and the tuner stopped pulls there. he said it looks like the valves are floating so i cant help but wonder if theres a few more horses on top. but all in all im happy and ill just enjoy it the way it is. set the limiter at 6400 and drive it!

i didnt get to see it on the dyno but it drives great now. the biggest gains are in cruising. it was at about 11afr before and 13.8 now so it feels so crisp and picks up rpm quickly.

to try to make this thread useful to someone else West Bend Dyno Tuning took really good care of me and id recommend them to anyone in the area.

Do you know what all they did to it to get it set up right? And yes, what did it cost?

How much did the block get bored and do you know what the actual compression ratio was?

Do you know what all they did to it to get it set up right? And yes, what did it cost?

How much did the block get bored and do you know what the actual compression ratio was?

they tuned the 4 corner screws, added a little timing, changed primary and secondary mains, changed the power valve and i think the high and low speed air bleeds? im not exactly sure on that one though.

all in the bill was $560 and they had it 4 days. that involved tuning on the dyno and doing cold starts in the mornings and driving on the street to make sure all is well.

block is .030 over and 10:1 static and 8.6:1 dynamic IIRC
also the pulls were done in 2nd gear (OD trans and 3.55 gears. i know, ill be swapping in a close ratio one as soon as i can afford it...) the tuner said the numbers were a bit lower because of that as well. probably doesnt help that the drums are dragging too...e brake is a little sticky

-
Back