any gueses?

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
how fast do you think this combination could be and how many horsepower? will put it up on the rollers as soon as the last parts are here and it stops breaking down every now and then :wink:

Car 73 duster
Weight 3200
Gear ratio 3.91 8 1/4"
Tire diameter 25"

Engine CID 345
Heads J heads heavily ported
Valve size 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust

Cam specs at 50 270degres solid roller total lift .650 comp cams
Carb edelbrock thunderseries avs 800cfm (not calibrated yet)

Intake Manifold Type holley strip dominator
Piston Make TRW forged
Compression Ratio 11:1

Trans type torqueflite 904
Trans Mods trans go shiftkit TF2
Convertor type custom made 10" 2600rpm stall

Initial timing 10
Total timing 38
Total advance at what RPM 4000

streetcar with full interior

I think you need more gear, more converter and a better carb or less cam.

it has a bassicly stock 904 with extra friction plates and the shiftkit thats all thats done to the transmision.
ok i have to try more gear and converter starting with gears i think because the converter is a realy nice piece that has made wonders for it it doesnt slipp much and it never uses the extra "freedom" exept when i floor it!
dont realy know about swaping the carb i dont feel realy comfortable with the holley design but it may be worth a try if i cant get any further with the edelbrock design :wink:

ok it feels realy strong but is it realy that good?

Sounds good but I myself would go with more convertor first. Needs way more stall then 2600 with them gears. That short stroke 340 is not a torque monster and it will like to rev. With more stall you can get away with the 3.91's to a point with that short tire but it wont 60 ft good with that convertor. I would also go with a better carb but its not a bad combo at all I just think it needs a few changes to bring out the most in it. I am going to guess high 11's. Good luck , Ron

looks like most of this combo should work good then wich feels good! i will look at your ideas as soon as i get money enough! yeah 340s love high rpm it feels realy strong when it starts to realy breath at 4000rpm;) thanks to all of you!

Yes get a low gear set for the trans and 3500 to 4000 stall converter. Thats a good starting point.But you will need some slicks and 4.56s

will the low gearset require any other modifications to my gearbox?

All the horsepower estimaters I've ever written and used needed to know the RPM's at 1:1 in the tranny at 60 MPH.

I did Harleys and Chevys when I was doing it. But that was 10 years ago. I don't have a copy of the code, but the forumlars are easy to get.

In fact I calculated the RPM from Gear Ratio and tire diameter!

Maybe we need a new web page? :D

noppid said:
All the horsepower estimaters I've ever written and used needed to know the RPM's at 1:1 in the tranny at 60 MPH.

I did Harleys and Chevys when I was doing it. But that was 10 years ago. I don't have a copy of the code, but the forumlars are easy to get.

In fact I calculated the RPM from Gear Ratio and tire diameter!

Maybe we need a new web page? :D

Yes, performance calculators are nice to have ! :hello1:

yea i like those to but nothing beats experienced people that can help out:)

with 25" tires those 3:91's will be like a 4:30 gear!!!!....so the converter MAY work but you really should change it to something like 3800-4000

ok sounds good, i am just a little worried that a realy high stall converer would not be as nice and tight when i cruise it and do some longer trips, am i wrong?

I have 4:30 gears and a 3800 stall convertor and have no problems on the street. Except for fuel consumption :toothy7:

mikesduster said:
with 25" tires those 3:91's will be like a 4:30 gear!!!!....so the converter MAY work but you really should change it to something like 3800-4000

Thats correct but he has very little contact area on that tire. He'd be better off with a taller tire and more gear. Same over all gear ratio but a bigger contact patch.

Even if u had a tire bigger then 245/60 would be the best for the car with the 3.91's or go to a 275 with fender trim an 4.56's :burnout:

Definately needs more converter, something in the 4000 range, as well as more gears and taller tire. If you get a good quality converter it won't feel that loose under normal driving. I used to have a 4200 stall and 4.56 gears in my Duster and drove that on the streets. It didn't even feel like a had that big of a stall when I was driving around. It is easier to do in Hawaii since you don't really have far to drive anywhere.

THEWHITEZOMBIE said:
Even if u had a tire bigger then 245/60 would be the best for the car with the 3.91's or go to a 275 with fender trim an 4.56's :burnout:

i use a set of 295/50-14 tires out back right now....

-
Back