any ideas, blows fusable link

-

68 HEMI GTS

Reaction score
well i seem to have a intermittent problem on my 68 barracuda. when i got it the original fusable link was toast and bypassed. i put in a spade type 30 amp fuse. anyway it has a intermittent problem of blowing the 30 amp only when the key is in the run position only. doesn't do it on accessory. i've unhooked the alternator, voltage regulator, changed the ignition switch, i just pulled the cluster and it appears ok. the amp gauge still works. when it pops the fuse it goes all the way to discharge first. it does read normal when you turn the lights on, cigarette lighter etc. i had the car running the other night and the amp meter seemed to work normal. went to light the car back up and out the fuse went. just looking for ideas of what else to check. ive been through all the wiring under the hood, converted it to elec regulator, dual field alt. this was obviously a issue before i got the car though when everything was totally stock..

Had a blown link on a '71 Scamp. The short was in the harness that is held on the firewall by that spot welded two pronged bendable retainer. The retainer wore through the tape and wire insulation. Worth a check. Please let us know what you find. Good luck

ok thanks, i just bypassed the amp meter and its still does it. but it doens't do it if the wires power wires arn't connected. must be in the black output wire somewhere...

my quarter bet on the wiring to the starter. Got headers ?
Most of the time intermitent shorts are caused by heat and/or vibration

Check the top of the fuse block. You may have a piece of wire or other metal floating around and shorting to ground when you hit a bump. I had the same problem with my 69 cuda and I did find the problem at the fuse block.

-
Back