Any ideas why my headlights don't work? 1976 Dart Sport.

-

1967Barracuda

Reaction score
Looking to get some help on why my headlights don't work. All parts are original. The turn signals and hazards work. I've tried engaging the headlights on both low and high beam and they do not work

20240127_203031.jpg

20240127_203002.jpg

try jumping dimmer switch & see if anything comes on - either hi or lo - if they come on likely a dimmer switch. Make sure your sealed beams are good.

I can send you a used Dimmer switch, Headlight switch and 2 headlights for free. I have drawers of used switches and boxes of lights You pay the ride. Flat rate is $17.10 . Check the grounds and bulk head. Those later years are noted for wiring issues

I can send you a used Dimmer switch, Headlight switch and 2 headlights for free. I have drawers of used switches and boxes of lights You pay the ride. Flat rate is $17.10 . Check the grounds and bulk head. Those later years are noted for wiring issues
I'll let you know in the next few days. Thanks.

If the running lights are not working then my money is on the power in to the headlight switch is not connected.

This happens when the terminal gets old and looses a good connection and heats up and melts the plastic connector.

Green corrosion
Red melted connector
Screenshot_20240127-215706.png

Have a checked to see if there's power at the headlight connectors? It's not terribly uncommon to have both bulbs burn out. It happens. I would start there first and backtrack until I found power.

There is no power going to my bulk head connector on the headlight switch. I ran a randome hot wire from under the dash to some ports on the bulk head and I got running lights to turn on.

17064533311081762329080393453945.jpg

Last edited:
These old cars are old!! I do not believe in just throwing new parts at trying to fix a problem...BUT..... Many parts are cheap on Rock Auto, so every time I get a new project, I:
Soak the dimmer switch with rust penetrant and order a new one regardless, just to have.
I always get a new headlight switch, ballast resistor or two (or three), coil, horn relay, ign. solenoid, but in my stash of parts is also new distributors, carbs, and everything just to have on hand, as I want a reliable car to drive and not walk back home. I carry some of such in the trunk just in case!!

My friend you need to know what you are applying power to before you randomly apply power to things.

It looks like you have determined that the voltage feed to the headlight switch is not getting any power.

The wire has as best I can tell the characteristics of a melted wire. Red cir.

Maybe it's just the photo.
Screenshot_20240128-123948.png

You need a wiring diagram.
mymopar.com has free diagrams. If your car is not listed get the closest you can find, like if you have a 74 a 73 while not exactly correct will be very close.

Classiccarwiring.com also has some to buy which are color coded and easier to follow.

Your next task is to find out why you do not have power to the switch.

Do the rest of your accessories work? Brake lights? Radio? Wipers? Heater?

If your car is not listed get the closest you can find, like if you have a 74 a 73 while not exactly correct will be very close.
X
Nope! Not close. The main circuits are very different.

Your next task is to find out why you do not have power to the switch.

Do the rest of your accessories work? Brake lights? Radio? Wipers? Heater?
and you have to understand the '76 power feeds.

-
Back