Any info on installing tapered axles in a 64 8 3/4?

-

Sixpack_Sid

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 75 duster and I'm putting in a 440 with a 727 trans and the rear is a 7 1/4. I just picked up a 8 3/4 from a 64 polara with tapered axles for free. I plan on doing the conversion where you separate the drum from the hub for easier brake work. I got the axles out and plan on changing the center chunk gasket due to a leak. I can't find any info on how they go back together or what gaskets go in the housing. I tried a manual I found online but it didn't get into any detail. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Dan

Service Manuals – MyMopar

towards the bottom 64 chrysler

Screenshot_20221208-171024.png

The tapered axle rear end is archaic for sure, but if you have a complete one and you can get it apart without tearing it all to hell, they are certainly usable.

I replaced my 64 Sure-Grip with 65 drums and new studs.

What's the downfall once the drums come off and on with ease?

I replaced my 64 Sure-Grip with 65 drums and new studs.

What's the downfall once the drums come off and on with ease?
Nothing, as long as you never have to go in it ever. For sure doing the deal to be able to just remove the drums make brake work lots easier.

I used the old holesaw over the wheel stud trick to get the drums off my 64. After a little more grinding/drilling the new drums just slide on.

Hi guys, I took the axles out and removed the bearing. I was able to get the #s off the old seals. I don't see any shims. Check pics,

2428FBD7-3F48-4C3D-8B44-F7CC65A3679C.jpeg

6592C0BD-3758-434A-B424-97C1D8082861.jpeg

6286C1E1-EA07-4991-8398-6A0401316FB4.jpeg

Do you have to press in the race over the axle bearing as you put the axle in? Is that what holds the axle in place?

Isn't that diff 3 inches wider than an A body diff?

The differential is exactly the same. A "diff" is just the 3rd member, even using the slang it's not the whole axle.

The axle housing on a '64 B-body should be 55 5/8", so yeah, the housing would be 3" wider. It gets worst than that though, because the wheel mounting surface measurements are even wider. Factory A-body 8 3/4 with SBP axles is only 57 1/8" wms-wms, the '64 Polara 8 3/4 should be 60 7/8" wms-wms, so that's more like 3 3/4" that the wheels will actually be moving.

Dusters/Demons/Dart Sports are a full 1" wider in the rear bodywork compared to a Dart/Valiant/Scamp, but that Polara axle will be pushing it depending on the wheel choices. I run a 68-70 B-body 8 3/4 rear axle in my '74 Duster, it's 60-1/8" wms-wms and I'm running 7" of backspace on 18x10" wide wheels with a 1/2" spring offset to make that work. If 17/18" wheels are the goal then there will be options that have enough backspacing for wider tires in the back. If 15's are the plan, you won't find anything off the shelf with enough backspace to run a tire much wider than a 225.

I ran 225/60/15's on 15x7's with 4.25" backspace on my Duster for a bit with the 68-70 B rear, they barely cleared the quarters. The Polara axle if it matches the dimensions in the sticky will be an extra 3/8" per side wider, so factory wheels would be a no-go. You'd need a significant positive offset to run any kind of wider tires in the back, and there just isn't much in the way of big positive offsets for 15" wheels without going custom.

If it were me, while I was moving the axle perches to match the A-body dimensions (or a 1/2" offset, might as well, gotta move the perches anyway) I'd be inclined to shorten that housing, weld on new housing ends and get rid of the tapered axles and brake drums and make it a more manageable width all at the same time.

The differential is exactly the same. A "diff" is just the 3rd member, even using the slang it's not the whole axle.

Serious mansplaining there. I think we know that lol

..... I'd be inclined to shorten that housing, weld on new housing ends and get rid of the tapered axles and brake drums and make it a more manageable width all at the same time.
Me too or just find an A housing

Serious mansplaining there. I think we know that lol

Well if you knew that, you should't have said it wrong then

I thought it was pretty obvious that a diff and a rear axle are different things, but you said the diff's are different. They're not.

Has anyone seen the youtube video?

Mopar Duster 8 3/4 Rear End Trick​

Hi guys, I took the axles out and removed the bearing. I was able to get the #s off the old seals. I don't see any shims. Check pics,

Hi, How much to ship 18088 Pa? What else do I need then? Do I need different backing plates or can I use my old ones? What is the bolt size pattern?

Thank You!
Dan

Shipping runs approximately $50. You need '65 and newer Mopar brakes and backing plates. The wheel bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5".

-
Back