Any Interchangeable 1 wire activation internal reg alternator available?

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey guys I've engine swapped some magnums into old school cars. Are there any alternators with similar measurements I can use that are internally regulated and have a 1 wire activation.
Thanks

Mopar I just bought an alternator from them, (not a one wire) and it was awesome.

Thanks I'll look up
Put a Powermaster one wire Chrysler square back style alt on my Fury. Works great.
Do you have a link to the one you purchased.
can you remember if the one wire activation was just a 12 volt wire or was it the wire that comes from the globe on the dash. Thanks

it's 175191. Just type it into the search on the Summit site. You attach one wire from the alt to the battery. You must upgrade to a larger wire. I think a #6. I used a Summit alt wiring kit. It included new wire, terminals, and a fuse.

Thanks,
I'm still using the Magnum serpentine belt system. I'll get on their website and see if they have anything.

I don't think any later Mopar alternators had an internal reg. My 1996 and 2002 minivans are just like a 1971 square-back, w/ Vreg circuit inside the PCM. Indeed, some truck guys have wired a 1970's Vreg when their built-in circuit failed (rather than change the whole engine computer). I prefer an external since easy to trouble-shoot. My 1980's M-B cars use the GM Bosch "Motorola-style" w/ internal Vreg which confuses people with its required "boot-up current" from a dash bulb. When the bulb burns out, it stops charging. Old Chevy guys understand.

I found one that's internally regulated. Just trying to work out if the measurements will be ok. Might be only be available over here in Australia though

15573707781221764661430196157044.jpg

Some caveats on your "one wire." The CHARGE wire (output) path from the alternator to the battery MUST BE oversized and in excellent shape. This is because the voltage sensing is right there at the alternator. If the wire is "typical" of OEM old Mopars, it will be about a volt-and-a-half low at "the other end." (The battery)

You want an oversized charge wire for the same reason. For a 60A I'd use at least no8 wire

i got a powermaster in my bronco
great alternator, putting out 138 amps at idle, 150 at 1500 RPM
simple conversion, but as '67 pointed out, the charge wires need to be up to the task

-
Back