Any mbarrassing stories with your mopar ? haha

-
I just had a real doozy..just rewired the Barracuda and got it running real nice and thought it was the perfect time to go cruising, gas gauge kept moving so figured it was semi accurate. Well on the way home it was reading 1/4 tank figured might as well stop. Pulled into the turn lane and it suddenly decided to run out of gas(thank god its an A body and not a b or c!)...no warning no sputtering, well 2 sputters than death (440 apparently is a much more thirsty motor than I had anticipated lol) so here I am pushing the car across 5'oclock traffic with the turn signal on. Pushed it into the gas station filled her up and murdered the crap battery waiting for the mechanical fuel pump to suck fuel back into the lines.
Got a jump from a Ford Bronco :'( 2ce! first time got it started I didn't stay in long enough bumping the throttle before the idle settled down and it would idle by itself. Second time got it started the carb's throttle shaft decided to bind up and idle wouldn't drop under 2k so had to drive the rest of the way home smoking the rear tires every time I came to a red light.

I was in high school and had just finished rebuilding my 273 in my 67 Coronet and decided to do a nice burnout coming out of the parking lot. Well just as I did a cop came up the street and lights went on. I pulled over and when I did, the engine was racing like mad and I had to shut it down as the cop got out of the car. Seems I forgot to put one nut back on one of the motor mounts and caused it to lift up and yank on the throttle cable causing the engine to race like mad. What a break as the cop just looked and said "oh it looks you broke a mount... better get it fixed as it caused you to rip out of the parking lot out of control"... well no ticket thank god.

Let me start by saying the street racing is un-cool and that this incident happened when I was young and more stupid than I am now. Also, it was 2:00 am on a barren stretch of road and nobody was around...

Back in the late 90's some ricer pulled up beside me at a stop light and started revving it up. I wouldn't usually give those guys the satisfaction of seeing my taillights, but I guess I was in a bad mood that night and I wanted to stomp some jap scrap. The light goes green and I have a commanding lead early on, but once I get near the top of first gear he starts to pull on me. About half way through second he pulled past me. By the time I get into third he's way ahead of me.

I was shocked, as I had never seen a ricer that fast. To make matters worse the guy driving the rice was a friend of my brother's.

You guys are going to laugh at me for this, but here goes anyway.
I was never a big fan of watching drag racing. But when several of my buddies and I decided to run our cars for test and tune night at the local drag strip, I figured taking my 340-S fastback 68 down the track would be a blast. For my very first run, I ended up lining up against a buddy in his twelve cylinder BMW 850i coupe (he left his 340 Barracuda fastback home that day). Neither one of us had ever drag raced before.
So, I lined up in the left lane and looked to my right to watch my buddy line up at the light. Well, I was still looking at him as the lights flashed down the Christmas tree. I missed it. But my buddy didn't move off the line either. I don't know what I was thinking. I had never done this before. I think for moment I thought they would re-start the light.
Anyway, the crowd started yelling "Go! Green means go!" So, I took off and had a fairly decent time and had no trouble beating the BMW. If it weren't for that six second long reaction time it would have been a respectable run. Sometimes six seconds can seem like an eternity. I was glad my friend's wife forgot to take the lens cap off the video camera.
Later, I asked my buddy why he didn't go on green. His answer was that he's color blind and can't tell green from red. He figured for his first run down the track he would let me go first and he would then know which light to look for on his second run.

One more. It must have been around 1985-87, due to the car involved. In my buddies 69 Dart he had put a 440 in, a real feat for two high schoolers. We came up to a stop light with a black GM type car sitting there. "Hmm, what's a GNX? "Who knows, smoke em its a GM".

Sitting at the light my buddy revs the 440, fender headers and side pipes, it was a real annoying car.

Of course the guy in the Olds was not giving us the time of day. The light turns green and there is a chirp from the GNX and its gone. We looked at each other with a gasp on our faces

If I am not mistaken the Buick GNX was the fastest production car in 1987.
The Turbo V6 was quite a sleeper. I am sure you are not the only one they surprised at a stop light.

They were quite a sleeper. I am sure you are not the only one they surprised at a stop light.

I think they were the fastest production cars out of all the cars in the '80s.=P~
And who would ever expect Buick to make it ](*,)

Nothing embarrassing with any of the Mopars I've owned. Did have an incident with my 70 Cutlass once. Was driving home late at night in the rain on a dimly lite stretch of road. Not sure if the wiper blades were toast, but I was having a hard time seeing out the windshield. Next thing a big cautionary construction sign appears in front of me in the middle of the road. I panic thinking they excavated a huge deep *** hole in the road, so I yank the steering wheel as hard as possible and end up doing donuts all the way down the road through the middle of this work site. There is construction signs and pylons flying everywhere, landing on people's lawns on roof tops of houses. Got my *** out of there was too embarrassed to be accountable for my actions. Figured if the police found out I was 100% sober they would think I was complete loser.

Another one, I guess everybody runs out of gas at least once in their lives, especialy us with Mopars and bad voltage limiters.

In my Custom 880, my fuel guage had quit working. I usually filled it every 200 miles, 23 gallon tank, 10 mpg, allowed me 3 gallons extra usually. It had worked good for a while, but i must have miscalculated or idled a bit more, i was driving down the road and the car burped, and quit.

Tried starting and it ran for 30 sec and quit, dang, out of gas. I was on a residential street, so i go to the first house, it had a car port and a few gas cans sitting on a lawn mower,

"Hi, my car ran out of gas right there, can i buy some gas from your cans or your lawnmower? "No, its out of gas too" Next house, same answer, one more house, same answer. Its a conspiracy against me.

So i walk to the gas station to buy a can and a gallon of gas. Learned my lesson.

Another time, we were cruising a long time, and got home, i was going to wait to fill it up, but was passing a gas station so i decided to stop to fill it up. 23 gallon tank, i put 22.8 gallons in, yikes.

Not quite as bad, but I had my International Scout (lot's of Mopar parts in those things) in a parade. It was lifted and looked pretty mean. Anyway, I had the roof off and the back full of clowns with balloons and such when the fuel pump ate itself. The front of the parade kind of left us (I was in the middle) while me and three clowns pushed that hog off the road to let the rest of the parade get by. It's pretty embarasing to have floats pulled by tractors loaded with childeren and clowns giving you dirty looks as they scream past at "ramming speeeeeeed".

The Turbo V6 was quite a sleeper. I am sure you are not the only one they surprised at a stop light.

Yeah those turrbo bucks ran like hell!

Most embarassing... or course in the rampage... had really bad vapor lock and probably spent a total of a couple hours either on the side of the high way or crawling at around 40 with my 4 ways on so it didnt rev so high :angry7:

-
Back