Any of you girls still use CB radio?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Truckers, etc? I just found a video --- evidently the FCC is about to authorize the use of FM on CB

When I was around 10 years old my parents bought a base station and radios for each car. I installed the car radios myself. Haven't been on in decades though.

I think he's onto something with the idea to designate certain channels to stay AM only for a certain amount of time.

By the way, for all the rookie radio guys out there, AM stands for Amplitude Modulation. Which means an input signal changes the carrier waves' Amplitude, or strength.

FM, on the other hand stands for....
Freakin Magic.

Sorry, old radio guy joke.

That’s what we say at work, kinda. Someone asks how we fix it we tell them PFM. Pure freakin magic.

No, but I do have a pair of them ready to rock. Minus antenna.

Yup. I have a Realistic Navaho base and an Antron 99 and some other stuff.

If i understood correctly, your old radio is now going to pick up more interference from FM capable units??

I used to manage a fleet of fire tankers and tenders out west for a private timber company. Radios are used to keep from meeting other vehicles on steep, winding, mountain logging roads. I remember picking up HAM signals from central America on clear summer days. It was a little annoying and I guess could be dangerous, but I don't think having to buy new radios would be very popular especially if folks learn why.....seems kinda sleezy and potentially dangerous in the short term.

77 Midland and 75 RCA

40 Ch Midland was a $10 garage sale find.
23 Ch RCA came in my 73 Satellite.

I use one when I'm on a long road trip.

Also have a Midland base station I haven't set up or tried yet.

If i understood correctly, your old radio is now going to pick up more interference from FM capable units??

I used to manage a fleet of fire tankers and tenders out west for a private timber company. Radios are used to keep from meeting other vehicles on steep, winding, mountain logging roads. I remember picking up HAM signals from central America on clear summer days. It was a little annoying and I guess could be dangerous, but I don't think having to buy new radios would be very popular especially if folks learn why.....seems kinda sleezy and potentially dangerous in the short term.

The "pay for play" Motorola radios we had in the company vehicles for communication on the construction site never had an issue as long as we were in the LA Basin. Moved to a job in San Diego with much ready mix concrete involved. Mixer drivers keep hearing messages about "add 20 gallons to the load" :wtf: so they do and 15 minutes later the truck is back at the ready mix plant with a load too wet to use. Turns out there is another ready mix concrete outfit on the same frequency 300 miles to the north and right on the beach as we were in San Diego :lol:. We never heard their base station because it was nestled in a valley, but when their mixers got to the beach/Vandenberg AFB it was pretty much line of sight clear :rofl:. We made new acquaintances via long distance radio in Lompoc :lol:.

Funny, I have one in my Dart and also the factory am/cb in a 88 w150. Saves your *** in traffic still!

I do, I run a Connex 3300 HP in my Jeep, used to be in my big truck when I was still driving.

upload_2021-8-2_9-44-6.jpeg

I have a Galaxy base radio in the house, backed up by a Texas Star high drive linear.

upload_2021-8-2_9-46-23.jpeg

You didn't pick up ham (radio amateurs) on cb. You picked up illegal operators, or simply in many cases, simply "skip" from radio propagation which you cannot control. That is one of the problems with cb
1....It was created from an amateur band which IS VERY MUCH susceptible to skip
2.....For higher VHF or UHF frequencies in 1959ish when CB was created, which would NOT be affected by skip, was expensive to build IE commercial FM police/ fire/ commercial equipment.

Dam, I have t seen mine since the 70s. They were all the rage back then. Kim

My family even got t-shirts made with our call signs. We were the Bear Family (I know...original, right). I was Boo Boo Bear. Hey I was like 10 years old, lol.

-
Back