any one help me on some ignition elec. advice?

-

christineman

Reaction score
anyone give me some advice on wireing up a starter relay?? thanks

chrisitneman

anyone give me some advice on wireing up a starter relay?? thanks

chrisitneman

I trying to wire up a 440 in a street rod,, It will turn good in the start position but wont start till I quit try to start it and let the switch spring back to on position,, If I direct 12v to the resister, she fires up immediatly,, seems Im not getting 12v to the resister while the engine is turning,, I think I need to get full 12v to the coil while it is turning over... any ideas for me??? thanks in advance

christineman

im trying to wire a 440 in a street rod,, it willl turn good in the start position but wont start till i quit trying to start it and let the swith spring back to the on position.... if I direct 12v to the resister, she fires up right now... seems im not getting 12v to the resister while the engine is turning... I think i need to get full 12v to the coil while it is turning over...any ideas for me???? thanks in advance

mel

In the start position the key switch supplies 12 volts straight to the coil while in the run position it supplies the ballast resistor that supplies the coil. Basically it by-passes the resistor during start. You problem sounds like the key switch is bad. Or not wired up (in the electrical dwr it is labeled as ign 1 and ign 2) Or maybe you are using the wrong switch

ok,, so on the switch, there is a ign 1 and 2.. so,, I need a wire from 1 to the resister and a wire from 2 going where?

OK thread no two on the same subject. WHAT ARE YOU USING for an igniton switch? Chrysler switches have the ign1 and two built into the switch, Ford, GM, and AMC provide "ign 2" from the S terminal on the starter solenoid, which Chryslers don't have

IGN1 is "run", goes to one side of the resistor, the coil + on the other side of the resistor

IGN2 goes to the coil + directly, and provides "hot" 12V during start.

If you don't have a Chrysler switch, there are a couple of ways to approach the problem.

One would be to put a diode from the starter solenoid "s" terminal to the + side of the coil

Another would be to use a second relay and fire it from the starter S terminal.

Still another would be to switch to a Ford starter solenoid.

you know,,, this site is the absolute best,,, thanks so much guys,,, Im sure it was simple to you but it sure helped me out,, thanks to all of you...if you guys ever need any mopar parts, Ive got over 600 parts cars.. bad part is that most of them are 56-61 but I think there is maybe 100 of the sixties ones.... maybe I can help you find a part someday.... thanks again

christineman

christineman

-
Back