Any Parts crossover between Dart and Polara?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
going to junkyard tomorrow, they have 67 polara. Would there be any parts that would work for my 66 dart? Or are the two completely different? On that note, if anyone needs something let me know. Dont have specifics other than the polara is convertible.
My dart is L6 270, 225

That Polara is a C-body, so there's virtually nothing common between them, except for super common items like light bulbs, nuts and bolts, maybe the alternator.

I have a 65 C-body and a 65 Dart. Some interior parts appear to be the same - door handles, headlamp switches and such. Nothing in the suspension, steering or brakes would interchange except the steering gear and p.s. pump. Charging components are the same (alt, Vreg). The bulkhead connector is the same, indeed I put one for a 65 Fury (ebay) in my 64 Valiant to get the better 65 design (but not for your 66). If the same engine, then everything but the motor brackets/mounts interchange. I don't know about the throttle linkage, but "should work". My 65's are both cable throttles. I know a B-body radiator is slightly too tall for an A-body, so probably also true of C-body.

Little in the drive-line or rear would interchange. The C-body 727 tranny is longer than A-body ones. A few C's had 904 tranny's, which I don't know about. Perhaps you could shorten a C-body drive-shaft to work in an A. The tranny output side should be the same (though spline count varied over the years I think) and you can get U-joints for the rear that adapt bearing sizes.

The C-body 727 tranny is longer than A-body ones. A few C's had 904 tranny's, which I don't know about. Perhaps you could shorten a C-body drive-shaft to work in an A. The tranny output side should be the same (though spline count varied over the years I think) and you can get U-joints for the rear that adapt bearing sizes.

Not true. Any car / light truck 2wd 727 is all same length, which is same length as B / C / E pickup 4 speed. To use a727 you just throw it in there, bolt it up, and either come up with correct kickdown, use an aftermarket like Lokar, or install a manual VB, and have a new drive shaft made. The 727 must match your engine.

904 is same length as A body 4 speed

Nobody mentioned the engine, which "if you decide" to go with v8, may or may not be helpful

If the Polara has an 8 3/4 they make a great axle to have shortened. Too long to use as is (56 3/4" flange to flange), but the axles aren't tapered or stepped like other 8 3/4 axles so not only can the housing be shortened, the axles can be shortened and re-splined to match.

Given how much A-body 8 3/4's cost these days, and what most yard's charge for rear axles, it might be cost effective to have it shortened.

Not true. Any car / light truck 2wd 727 is all same length ...
I thought some 727's varied in length. I remember measuring 35"L for the rebuilt 727 to put in my 1965 Newport (383 engine), though it turned out not to work since it wasn't cable-shift and the speedo hole was larger. That was from a major rebuilder, and I told them "1965", but they said it just needed to be the longer one (wrong). I think the 35" is a big block tranny. I recall "BB" cast into the bell housing. The SB 727 (rarer) is probably the shorter one.

I don't know about difference between BB and SB I was talking "in same engine" family.

I would think they are the same, after all you can put a smallblock and 727 into a say, B body where a B / RB came out. They mount on the same crossmember mount, and take the same driveshaft.

-
Back