Any pics of 66 Darts with Racing Stripes?

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of a 66 Dart with a set of racing stripes that go over the trunk, top and hood. I am hopefully going to paint my 66 Dart sometime in the next 2 months and was wondering if it would look ok with stripes. I dont recall seeing any with them. If you have any please post them.
Thanks Rod

found this one

Hemi under glass.jpg

Would like to see some too. Mine will be ready for paint in a couple of months also..

My mistake I was thinking barracuda for some reason. LOL

Thanks Mike,
Ive never seen one with the old school dual stripe that is in the middle. I saw a pic of a member here with stripes on his 68 Barracuda. I think it works because of the bright White paint. I am also going with a Bright GM white paint and was thinking maybe a set of black stripes with a 1/8" outline stripe around each stripe and then doing the scoop in black as well.
Heres a pic of mine 66 Dart with the scoop sitting in place.
DSCN0479.JPG

Heres a pic of SGBARRACUDA's 68 with White paint and a cool set of stripes. He was kind enough to send me pics so I could think this over. (Thanks Roy)
barracuda stripe1.jpg

I just dont know if the Dart could pull off the cool look this cuda has!

Had a guy on the early A group on face book posted this pic tonight for me,
65dart stripe.jpg

Its the closest one Ive seen so far. I was thinking a set of wider stripes, maybe even outline them with a thin black pinstripe. Then go with black bumpers and hood scoop. I may make some black stripes out of plastic and lay them on the hood to get a better idea. Anyone else have any luck with finding any? And why did Dodge use stripes on the 65 & 66 Barracuda's and not on Darts?
Thanks Rod

Here's my 67 cuda in white with maroon metallic stripes I just finished painting.
Lon

IMG_20180517_222134.jpg

IMG_20180518_123222.jpg

And why did Dodge use stripes on the 65 & 66 Barracuda's and not on Darts?
Thanks Rod

Probably because Barracudas were Plymouths! and they had separate styling departments.

Why don't you use black construction paper and black electrical tape and lay some out on your hood. Then you could step back, squint, and mad just until you think it looks good to you?

Kosmickuda
You read my mind, later tonight I plan on covering the hood with the white body paper and then drawing or painting stripes on it.
Rod

Ok, here are some really quick layout pics of the concept I am considering. Take a look them and please let me know what you think of them. Be honest as You wont hurt my feelings and I want to know what people are going to think if they see it.

Started by laying out a pair of 10" stripes, not sure if they should be wider or narrower.
20180522_231426.jpg
20180522_231444.jpg

Now where I put the inside of the stripe is actually in the center body line area so Im wondering should I move the inside of the stripe out of that body line area? There is 1" more of that groove before it turns flat and I worry that the between area grows to wide. Also it would move the stripes towards the edge of the rest of car another inch as well. On the 1st pic you can see my pencil line where the stripe is now if you look close.

20180522_231955.jpg
20180522_232015.jpg

And here are some pics of the painted stripes on paper and the paper wrinkled some. I am thinking at the front of the scoop I would need to round the stripes some. I left a 3/4" white stripe around the scoop to highlight it a little more. The scoop will be black to match the stripes. And Im not happy with the area just behind the scoop as Im thinking maybe to the rear of the hood should go back to full width stripe?
20180522_234948.jpg
20180522_234940.jpg
20180522_234601.jpg
20180522_234514.jpg
20180522_234503.jpg
20180522_234649.jpg

One last thought Im having is should the stripes and scoop be red to match the dash and door interiors.
These stripes would be on the roof and trunk deck as well. Then paint the bumpers the same black.
If I were to go with red I think the bumpers would have to stay chromed?
Thanks for following and I do look forward to hearing your opinions!
Thanks Rod

That looks good Rod.. How about RED like the interior of the car? I am planning on doing a RED right on the middle of the hood all the way to the back about 12 inches wide.

Kosmickuda
Going to painting the body white and Im pretty sure the stripe and scoop will be black. Still not sure about the bumpers being chrome or black.
Rod

I'm kind of partial to the way they painted some of the 66 Darts back in the day. I'd go this way with the narrow paint stripe between the body lines on the hood and then widen it out around the scoop like you have it. Then up and over the top. There were quite a few D/Darts with this color scheme racing back in the day -- Coronet Dodge, Inc, Sam Brown Dodge, Suburban Dodge Boys, and the Ferris Miles-Westlake Dodge Trans Am car. This is the Politician as it was raced in the early 70's.

DSC04958-for-web.jpg

Does anyone have any pics of a 66 Dart with a set of racing stripes that go over the trunk, top and hood. I am hopefully going to paint my 66 Dart sometime in the next 2 months and was wondering if it would look ok with stripes. I dont recall seeing any with them. If you have any please post them.
Thanks Rod
Here is a picture of a '65 Dart with a Go Go stripe. Might look good on a '66 also.
I just noticed it has a 1966 plate on it!
FB_IMG_1527472509299[1].jpg

Don't ya love it when they didn't have a '66 in time for the broacher deadline and figured no one would notice . After all it was in the accessory broacher for '66.

I have a black cat with racing stripes....

Skunk.jpg

Wait, nevermind, that's not a cat.... :rolleyes:

Had a guy on the early A group on face book posted this pic tonight for me,
View attachment 1715178454
Its the closest one Ive seen so far. I was thinking a set of wider stripes, maybe even outline them with a thin black pinstripe. Then go with black bumpers and hood scoop. I may make some black stripes out of plastic and lay them on the hood to get a better idea. Anyone else have any luck with finding any? And why did Dodge use stripes on the 65 & 66 Barracuda's and not on Darts?
Thanks Rod
I can see these stripes too, like said, maybe a little wider and with 1/4 inch penstripes besides them. Scoop for me would be maybe a low profile max wedge style, JUST to ley some cool air in and hot air out!!!!

-
Back