Any Professionals have tips for installing windshields?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Today I installed a used windshield in a 65 Barracuda. It was the 4th windshield I've installed in a car with a rubber seal/gasket. I put the gooey-thick Urethane sealant on the metal window channel and weatherstrip adhesive in the groove that the glass fits into. I used a plastic stick for installing glass but it seemed that it took longer than it should.
I started by placing the gasket to the opening, then placing the glass into the bottom of the gasket. Being right handed, I started at the bottom middle and went counter-clockwise. I did the bottom followed by the right side, left side, then on to the top. It fits, the gasket isn't deformed and it does not leak. I have zero training doing this, I just jumped in and gave it a try because my local glass shops refuse to install used glass. Sometimes I'm building a cheap car to sell and I want to minimize costs. I would really appreciate any tips you guys have on this.
Thanks, Greg

I did auto glass for several years and that's pretty much how you do it. Slow and steady is what works, it would also help to set your gasket in the sun for awhile before the install to loosen it up, and I think it's much easier using two sticks.

I have used a piece of road. As you pull the rope the glass settles into place. Also having a helper outside to apply pressure made it easy, We did the back glass the same way.

Is weatherstrip adhesive necessary? I've always assumed that the gasket was a tight fit and didn't require anything extra.
I bought a new windshield gasket for my 70 dart awhile back. My windshield is hazed and foggy on one side. I'm planning on having it replaced professionally eventually. But I wouldn't mind doing it myself.

Is weatherstrip adhesive necessary? I've always assumed that the gasket was a tight fit and didn't require anything extra.
I bought a new windshield gasket for my 70 dart awhile back. My windshield is hazed and foggy on one side. I'm planning on having it replaced professionally eventually. But I wouldn't mind doing it myself.

I would say no and also hope and pray you never have to replace it That gasket is NOT reuseable any more.

Everything I have read, including tech from Mopar Action Rick Ehrenberg, says that some type of sealant is needed.
I installed a windshield in a 74 Duster using no sealant. I was not pleased when I washed it and it leaked. I pulled it and tried a second time, this time using the sealant. ZERO leaks.
The rear of the Duster/Demon/Dart Sport is the same. While these do use a locking strip to tighten the fit, the factory used a thin bead of sealant on the steel channel before setting the gasket. I've parted out numerous A bodies and seen plenty others in junkyards. Each one has shown signs of a sealant.
In most cases, the window gaskets are still in great shape and are reuseable. It may be different in hot weather states like Arizona, NM and Texas where the rubber and plastic parts on cars disintegrate quicker.

OK so thin sealer on the metal prior to gasket install and no sealer on window. It hasnt rained on my car since I installed the glass, garaged and So. Cal where it hasnt rained in 5 years.....

I was told when I bought a new gasket for my 68 dart that the first time the gasket is used no extra sealer is required but is optional. If you re-use the gasket then a sealer is required.

I installed the new gasket with no sealer and I have checked it after the few snows we have had and no leaks so far (there is no carpet in the car so I can see the floor).

After I installed it, I let it sit in the sun for a few days and settle in where its going to stay pretty much.

Cant say I have ever re-used a gasket, most used ones here are cracked and have a white crust from dry rot.

Glad this thread came up. I installed my used windshield in without sealant in my dart. I washed it the other day and no leaks that i noticed yet. No carpet and new floors. Didnt see any water. I am more concerned of it coming out under high speed.

Install gasket on window. Put a 1/4" rope in the outside gasket channel all the way around so both ends of the rope end up at the bottom in the center. Use a length of rope about twice as long as it takes to go around the channel so you will have plenty to pull on.

Soak the rope down in the channel with Dawn dish washing detergent. Now position the window and gasket into the channel on the bottom side first. You should just about be able to get the bottom side completely in the channel all the way across.

With a friend on the outside, applying firm pressure at the bottom where the rope ends come out, start pulling one end of the rope out at a 90* angle to the wind shield opening, with your friend following along applying pressure exactly opposite you on the outside, all the way around.

As the rope is pulled out, it pulls the inner lip of the gasket up and over the pinch weld, installing the windshield.

Once installed, rinse off thoroughly and then apply clear silicone based calk all the way around the outside lip between the gasket and pinch weld.

I have done literally hundreds like that both professionally and in the back yard and have never had one single leak. Ever.

My glass guy uses 3m butyl bedding compound for gasketed glass. Urethane will make removing the gasket in one piece, should the need arise, near impossible.

-
Back