Any Reason to Cut Transmission Crossmember?

-

68BarracudaTT

Reaction score
So, I am turning my 68 Barracuda into a TT/Track day car and while fixing some sheet metal issues I noticed that someone has cut the transmission crossmember. It looks like it was done for shift rod clearance; Has anyone seen this before? I have another cross member and will cut this one out and weld in the other one. I am not sure I have the correct shift rods, but if I get new ones they should all clear the crossmember?

(Also that terrible install of the shift tunnel will be corrected)
upload_2021-11-20_15-28-15.jpeg

That is not the cross member it is part of the front frame section, the cross member is the removable piece that supports the rear of your transmission, and I would weld in the new piece you have because that is comprising the strength of your front frame section

That cut in between the two mounting holes is replicated on the removable section as well. Someone really botched the install.

I'm guessing wrong shifter/ linkage, or maybe even a long shaft gearbox

I have a long-tail in my 68 Barracuda. It is IMPOSSIBLE to use the front mount because it sits right in that window.The entire driver's side of the hoop would have to go.
I used the rear mounting pad, fabbed my own plate, installed it high and sent two custom rods straight forward to the levers, and as usual, dropped reverse under the cross-member.
I have no idea what the guy with the torch was thinking....... but I've seen worse ideas.

I didn’t know you could adapt a B-Body trans to an A-Body. However, this is a short tail shaft transmission. I did notice the rubber biscuit is completely collapsed, which could have been the beginning of the issue. It’s strange someone would cheap out on bushings and/or linkages and just cut away at stuff to get the transmission in, but put a sure grip 8 3/4 in the back.

Most A body owners hope that their torsion bar cross member isn't rusted through and then this offender cuts theirs.

I want your sure grip 8-3/4 lol, all being said weld in the new piece, download the pattern from TTI headers and modify you're removable cross member to the same curve as the driver side for your dual exhaust so it doesn't hang low if the car was a single exhaust originally, and if you have proper components all should be ok, and install sub fame connectors which you probably already are if you are gonna be taking it to the track

So, I am turning my 68 Barracuda into a TT/Track day car and while fixing some sheet metal issues I noticed that someone has cut the transmission crossmember. It looks like it was done for shift rod clearance; Has anyone seen this before? I have another cross member and will cut this one out and weld in the other one. I am not sure I have the correct shift rods, but if I get new ones they should all clear the crossmember?

(Also that terrible install of the shift tunnel will be corrected)
View attachment 1715823268
check out my thread in member restorations called I thought I would share my 65 Dart

Well, I will be building a Torsen Diff and have another housing, so this one will be for sale eventually. I will weld in the other piece I have, and thank you for the advice for the modification to the lower section. Sub frame connectors and full cage are coming. :)

I didn’t know you could adapt a B-Body trans to an A-Body. However, this is a short tail shaft transmission. I did notice the rubber biscuit is completely collapsed, which could have been the beginning of the issue. It’s strange someone would cheap out on bushings and/or linkages and just cut away at stuff to get the transmission in, but put a sure grip 8 3/4 in the back.
As evidenced from your floor tunnel cross member, you can adapt anything to anything.

-
Back