Any recommendations for building a '73 340?

-
just build it stock...with a good tune you will be pleasantly surprised in the performance.

That was actually in the back of my mind and I almost recommended it, but he said he wanted 400 HP. I would build it stock, too.

Spitfires no bueno?

If i go over a little I'll just have to pull out the plastic and make monthlies. I'm just trying not to get into the 6-10k range. 5k total or below, I think i'll be alright.

That's a good idea.

Spitfires are no longer made. They cost just as much as Dougs now because Laysons bought the right to them and they sell them exclusively now. Like everything else, their price on the headers is stupid high.

Can never go wrong with a roller cam! That said it's not the cheapest but it's worth it in my book and yes I have a full roller setup in my 340.

What is the current condition of the motor now and are you going to assemble the motor and install it yourself?

Wait until Autozone has a 20% coupon. I was able to get a pair of new D453 ceramic coated Doug's headers for $475 shipping to my door back in January. They also had free shipping on orders over $100.

I remember when you got those. That was a killer deal. It almost made me buy a set and I didn't even have an early A body at the time. lol

What is the current condition of the motor now and are you going to assemble the motor and install it yourself?

again, this is my first build, so from my newby eyes, it looks to be in good condition. No noticeable scoring in the bores, nothing broken, nothing really standing out..

Built to stock specs it would be an upgrade from where I'm at, but I've had a fast car before and I'm not going to be satisfied until this one is faster. I want to do this once, and I want to do it right. I have everything apart right now, so I figure I might as well and build it up a bit while I can.

My plan is to assemble it myself in my tiny storage garage at my complex. The space is barely big enough to build an engine, so once I get to the point where I'm ready to put it in, I don't really have the space to put it in myself. I'm gonna have to have my mechanic friend help me, which I want to get his eyes on things anyway.. as he does this for a living.

509 mopar cam 10/5 comp. 587 heads good intake headers 400 hp all day long. very streetable. litte converter stall little gear and go! put 202 intake valves in the heads. and headers.

All you need is a stock rebuild, substitue the KB pistons which are a lot lighter and better design, internally balance it and run a 318 balancer, and stick a modern cam in it. If the head rebuilding is top quality on modern equipment you will be close to your HP goal. I couldn't get it done for your budget but you might be able to if your shop is cheap, has modern equipment, and talented staff. From experience that won't be the case - but one never knows. Either way the 340 will run much harder than the 273 did. You will spend for exhaust and the factoy manifolding for the 273 may not fit with the 587 heads. I'm not certain on that but I know some have had issues with the stock manifolds and 340/360 heads. If you have the '73 340 intake you can cap the EGR if it has it, then pull out the floor jets, and plug the extra temp switch holes, and run that. It's a pretty good intake on it's own and can support 400hp if the rest of it is good. You can always change the intake later too...

Why 400hp ??
Just cause it's a round number or you actually need 400hp. Just asking cause there's a big difference in cost and streetability between a 350 ish hp and 400hp. Pretty much a stock long block with 650 4 bbl, stock or better intake, cam 270 ish (high lift comp/voodoo) & headers. 9:1 cr would be nice to.

400hp need to get cr up to 10:1, head work, 285 ish cam and 750 and airgap. plus stall speed, rear gears etc...

-
Back