Any shops in CT that work on '50s Mopars

-

69_340_GTS

Reaction score
Good friend has a '52 Plymouth with a baby Hemi. Has a few mechaical issues that he cannot solve. Is there a repair shop in CT that is trustworthy/reliable and willing to work on this old stuff? This is not a restoration job, just some motor/mechanical work. Thanks!

I don't know of anyone in terms of a professional shop but I could probably help. I've got some experience although I'll admit it's not too much. Mostly 50s Fords and a couple mid-later 50s Chryslers. Otherwise he's probably looking at paying a resto shop depending on what it needs. What's wrong with it?

Don's speed shop (berlin turnpike just before the 175 heading towards Hartford ) has been round forever could try there. Huge array of old engine parts etc.

I don't know of anyone in terms of a professional shop but I could probably help. I've got some experience although I'll admit it's not too much. Mostly 50s Fords and a couple mid-later 50s Chryslers. Otherwise he's probably looking at paying a resto shop depending on what it needs. What's wrong with it?

Noisy lifters, it could be a wiped cam lobe. He already replaced cam and lifters once, but it still has a loud tick in it. He has been "adjusting" on the lifters, but I don't think he really knows how to do it correctly. Needs a shop he can take it to and leave it there and have them figure out whats wrong, and fix it. He says all he ever gets for answers is to pull the motor out (it's a 241 Red Ram) and get it rebuilt. But it seems to run good otherwise. Thanks!

Don's speed shop (berlin turnpike just before the 175 heading towards Hartford ) has been round forever could try there. Huge array of old engine parts etc.

Man, that place seemed like a shady operation 40 years ago! You honestly think they can be trusted? I have not been over that way in decades.

"Dirty Don's" has been around since long before me (1970). My auto tech teacher back in the 80s had stories of the original Don and he had the reputation back then. I think it's either his son or a different owner now but the reputation never improved...lol.

The "pull it and bring it in" is a good indicator of interest in these things... My issue is right now I've got a Super Bee in the bay now getting some major rust repair. I'll be on this into January. Does he have to have it "right now"?

"Dirty Don's" has been around since long before me (1970). My auto tech teacher back in the 80s had stories of the original Don and he had the reputation back then. I think it's either his son or a different owner now but the reputation never improved...lol.

The "pull it and bring it in" is a good indicator of interest in these things... My issue is right now I've got a Super Bee in the bay now getting some major rust repair. I'll be on this into January. Does he have to have it "right now"?

Yeah, Don's... I used to sort of hang out on the Berlin Turnpike back in the '70s. Bought some stuff from him but even if you were a customer, they were not too friendly.

I don't think my buddy needs the car until spring. I'd help, but I live way over on the other side of the state and I don't know anything about early Hemis. If you want, send me a PM with your contact info and I'll forward it to him.

Logistics might be difficult GMachine, but I'm certainly going to tell him about you too! Thanks.

He could contact Jacob's garage in Falls village CT.
The owner is Denny Jacobs and he knows older Hemi's very well and also has Lou Jasmin working there and he knows Hemi's very well also.

-
Back