Any smog techs here?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I got an old Mazda (yeah, I bought it) and I got a few questions an the emissions crap thats on it. No, I cant pitch it and plug the lines to get a butter smooth idle, Im in Republik of Kalifornia....Anyway: WTF is a anti-afterburn valve? It looks like it opens fresh air to intake on high vacuum deceleration only for whatever reason. The pic shows it has a metered dashpot (it is supposed to leak) but it may be hooked up to a vacuum line that can be turned off or on by an electric switch. Also there is this thing called a servo diaphragm behind the carburetor. It doesnt hold a vacuum either as well as the choke pull off on the carb (Ha, this costs 50-150 alone..FT!) Im sure the cat is gone too, kicker is that this is a 49 state Fed eral truck and I live in CA, it has no air pump...am I screwed with a fed motor in CA to get it smogged?

your not you need to go to the referee, dont know where tustin is but the ref here is like ten blocks from my house,at the community college.

The cat being gone is an immediate failure over everything else. I specifically bought my '68 because I have received almost every failure for smog imaginable on all my other cars. I even got the no-gas-cap one. If it's after 1975 and was supposed to be air pumped, it will fail immediately too. I think if you have 75 and older, they don't even look at it. I have not had anyone wishing to inspect my dart, but newer may be different. The "ref" for Cali would likely be the CHP office. They can pass off vehicles that are imported from other states, and you have to bring your car to them if your car was deemed unsafe for the streets. They just passed some new smog rules, so cars that are OBDII are now just hooked up to a computer, and that's it. No pipe test. Older cars may be changed too. As far as the motor, if the car is not brand new, and has a certain amount of miles on it (like 30k or more i think?) and the truck was SUPPOSED to have that motor, or the motor is a newer version, or the motor was available in the same car class, then it's fine, as long as the motor is not blowing foul. The class rule means no, you can not put a motor installed in a full size van, into your 2 door hatchback. That sort of thing. Has to be from the same make, and type of car.

Also, I should mention, I'm not a smog tech, but I've heard a lot of lectures on my cars failing at the smog test places...I hate smog.

Why do these states keep hammering people with 30 year old cars and which make up essentially zero percent of the problem?

Why do these states keep hammering people with 30 year old cars and which make up essentially zero percent of the problem?
its ridiculous. even here in Co springs, they ditched the whole emissions BS 11 years ago, and before that, any car 25 years or older only had to pass a smog test every 2 years with no visual inspections

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I saw something in one state, maybe AZ, that a large provider of smog testing was lobbying that reducing the years required to test would negatively effect their revenue...

Ref won't touch it,missing OE emission parts.Must be carbed, to add air,on deacceleration. Leans out the residual fuel,on throttle blades closing. Time to learn Masdanese,or ask a smoggie inclined buddy for help.

Its all there, its just seems to be leaking at all the pots....but I think 1 is supposed to bleed down and 1 is behind a electric valve. The choke pull off is definitely leaking on this carb and the same CPO doesnt leak on my TQ. There was one site that wanted $150 for it! YEah right! OK, back to the mighty-vac.....

A used smog parts place,out of Visalia,CA. Can't remember the damn name.Problem with carbed import emissions stuff. They all balance,one another. Worst,Honda. Mazda,right behind. This was in 91,92.Five year old cads,failing smog.

Thats better than 1 year old Caddy Northstars failing smog if the A/C was on, remember that? Ill check out that used smog place. Thanks.

I worked with a caddi master mecxhanic that was retired. He told me the first year of the Northstar was hell. The cars would not smog witj the A/C on, something to do with the computer that had to be reflashed, they also blew head gaskets at an alarming rate as the blocks were not holding the head bolts, consequent damage to the heads had them stacked in the corner on pallets like cordwood. They ended up laser hardening the threads in the block and that seemed to cure the problem but it was a huge issue.

-
Back