Any Subaru fans?

-

moparker

Reaction score
Was thinking of getting a used Subaru for a winter beater. I usually buy Toyotas but, cant find one either in my price range or one that the frame is not toast. Im lookin for a Outback or Forrester. Just lookin for opinions on the brand and what are the known issues they may have. Seems like head gaskets are a weak spot. Thanks Mike.

The advise I got from several long time subaru owners was to sell or trade in before 100k miles as the cost of up keep and repairs after 100k would have been better spent on a new subaru. 50k miles on an outback and no mechanical problems.

My understanding is there are certain model years that are prone to head gasket failure.

There is a Forester near here with that problem. It has been sitting for nearly 10 years now. I tried to talk to the owner about it so he ignored me until he told me to go away. Ok then. That was about 3 years ago now. It's still in the same spot, probably rotted from the bottom up by now.

They were known to have head gasket issues prior to 2011 I believe and also needed timing belt replacement kits at 100k up to that date. About $300 for the kit and plenty of DIY youtube vids if you're capable. The 2011 models changed to timing chains. Subaru is totally committed to the boxer engine and it's quite a good mill. They do burn some oil with higher mileage but run pretty fantastic. My youngest has a 2010 forester bought used with 140k on it. The head gaskets and timing belt kit had already been done on it so very little concerns when we picked it up. It was extremely well taken care of and they're really easy to maintain imho. Can't beat the 4/all wheel drive system. It's bumping up against 160k and the only thing we've done is brakes. So far...so good. He's 22, fresh out of school with his first real job and loves having the additional room he wouldn't get in a small car along with the maneuverability. I admit it was his mother that pushed for the suv type over an affordable good mileage getting car so after researching, this was the compromise. Not a full blown suv or explorer that gets 14mpg and not a civic or camry that gets 30 but it averages 21ish. Could probably do better if he didn't drive it like a race car. Hope this helps. There's millions of them on the road.

They were known to have head gasket issues prior to 2011 I believe and also needed timing belt replacement kits at 100k up to that date. About $300 for the kit and plenty of DIY youtube vids if you're capable. The 2011 models changed to timing chains. Subaru is totally committed to the boxer engine and it's quite a good mill. They do burn some oil with higher mileage but run pretty fantastic. My youngest has a 2010 forester bought used with 140k on it. The head gaskets and timing belt kit had already been done on it so very little concerns when we picked it up. It was extremely well taken care of and they're really easy to maintain imho. Can't beat the 4/all wheel drive system. It's bumping up against 160k and the only thing we've done is brakes. So far...so good. He's 22, fresh out of school with his first real job and loves having the additional room he wouldn't get in a small car along with the maneuverability. I admit it was his mother that pushed for the suv type over an affordable good mileage getting car so after researching, this was the compromise. Not a full blown suv or explorer that gets 14mpg and not a civic or camry that gets 30 but it averages 21ish. Could probably do better if he didn't drive it like a race car. Hope this helps. There's millions of them on the road.
Definitely helps. Thanks for the info. Toyotas are the same as far as timing belt at 100k. Missed a couple good deals. Sold before I could get to them.

Im on my 6th Subaru.

Not because they break down but because they are a safe, reliable and fun car that I can always sell for a profit. (I have never lost money on a Subaru.) I buy em cheap, fix em up, drive em until they beat to crap and re sell em.

I have owned
1985, 1987, 1991, 2002, 2007 wrx, 2017 wrx.

I would really like to find another 1987 Loyal wagon. Two speed transfer case, five speed manual trans, lay flat rear sears and unstoppable.

Head gaskets on some years like the 02 can fail but they often fail to the out side so even then its just top off the water once a week.

Timing belt. My 07 WRX i sold at 200,000 for a large profit and it had the original timing belt.

Alignment.

Rotate tires each oil change and have a plug kit. Tire shops wont sell you one tire. You gotta buy all four at once or it will damage the center dif. (This is a lie. I would not put different size tires on but changing one is ok in a pinch.)

If you do need one tire I try to buy it from a mexican tire shop and not the large chain stores as they arnt try to up sell you.

I have spent three days at Dirtfish driving school in washington. The is where Team Subaru trains their Raley drivers. It is not cheap but it will give you a true understanding of just what these cars are capable of. I HIGHLY RECOMEND it to anyone who thinks they would enjoy learning how to better handle a car at speed in adverse conditions.

One other kinda fun aspect of the wrx/sti cars is the "club" mentality. Driving a WRX or STI is like Driving a motor cycle, Jeep or old toyota truck. We all wave at each other and chat when we see another car.

My 2017 WRX

20211203_081641.jpg

oh I almost forgot. Always buy them in stock form. DO NOT BUY a modified Subaru.

We had a new 2016 outback what a great car. Got rid of it with 40k on it because we needed a truck at the time. Man was that a nice car. Never gave us any problems.

Now we have a 2019 Impreza sport and a 2021 Impreza preium. Both really nice cars. They are both under 20,000 miles so no issues yet.

I have an 98 Outback wagon commuter car with a 2.2 (NON interference motor) in it. It's got 255K miles, goes thru some oil but runs good, doesn't leak, AWD, heated seats, cruise, and a good heater for Alaskan winters. It's not pretty but gets 25+ MPG and works for me.

What made me buy my Impreza is a snow storm last year. I'm digging my fwd Honda out of the driveway (driveway is 90'long) and here comes Jamie in her Impreza, backs out of the driveway like there is no snow there at all. Lol. Figured with my 40 mile trips to work I'd be better off with AWD finally. Tired of 20 years of winter without it. Lol

Rotate tires each oil change and have a plug kit. Tire shops wont sell you one tire. You gotta buy all four at once or it will damage the center dif. (This is a lie. I would not put different size tires on but changing one is ok in a pinch.)

what does the spare look like?

(the reason i ask) my AWD charger has the same issue, MUST have 4 identical tires on or it will explode and self destruct

such a big deal you cant buy 1 or even 2 tires for it

apparently not a big enough deal to include a full size spare

banghead.gif

(the reason i ask) my AWD charger has the same issue, MUST have 4 identical tires on or it will explode and self destruct

View attachment 1715830634

Why its a full size.... wait, nope, its a doughnut..

I keep a big can of "fix a flat" and a plug kit in my car as well as the doughnut spare.

I rebuild A Lot of Subaru cylinder heads, at first I hated them because of their awkward size & the sandwich cam cover usually welded on with massive sealant, then the rockers have weird magnet deals in them & spring loaded.
But now I love doing them, I even welded up a broken exhaust stud boss for a customer.
Next month I will be porting a set for a local big power Subaru guy.
I got to drive one years ago. The 2 door weird window type it was a fun car.

My 2000 Forester is an S model. S model means LSD rear end. It does very well in adverse conditions. Had some wheel bearing issues but that was from abuse. 160000 miles. Just put new timing components and water pump in it. Idler pully failed. Other than that, going strong. 5 speed gets 24 MPG. I can get 28 if I try REALLY hard. Rear wheel area can be a bugger to work on with its long rear lateral link bolt.

Why its a full size.... wait, nope, its a doughnut..

I keep a big can of "fix a flat" and a plug kit in my car as well as the doughnut spare.
On my 2012 Forester it says doughnut spare can only be used on the rear. You must disable awd at fuse panel.

In my 07 the charge light came on one day and I thought awe crap. This thing is done. It had recently lost AC and power steering and at just under 200,000 i knew she need maintance or sold. I figure i better take a look at see what the problem is.

Turns out it was a super easy fix.

The engine had eatin the serpentine belt. Thats right. NOTHING on the front was spinning. No water pump, No ac pump, no PS pump, no Alt.

I had been driving for god know how long with NO WATER PUMP.

On my 87 we were drivim up a very steep dirt fire road and the car started loosing power. Finaly she stopped dead. Get out open hood She is HOT! Smoking hot.

Let it cool off.
We got water... oooo snap... do we have oil?

Nope.. no oil on the stick.

Put in two quarts and drove that car for another few years... after she locked up tight...

They are good cars even with the "lady lover limo" stigma...

:)

My only experience with a Subaru was a 1986 XT Turbo coupe. That car was a blast to drive, surprisingly quick with the 1.8 liter motor. Rust and a failed air suspension were the cause of it's demise at 250k miles. Engine still ran great, used a small amount of oil, it was on only the second clutch, a/c was still ice cold too. It had a cracked head around 100k miles, common to that engine, and I had done the brakes 3 or 4 times, and front axles once.

View attachment 1715830634
As long it is the same diameter as the other 3 tires, or really close, the donut spares are fine. And they are the same diameter, just skinny.

I rebuild A Lot of Subaru cylinder heads, at first I hated them because of their awkward size & the sandwich cam cover usually welded on with massive sealant, then the rockers have weird magnet deals in them & spring loaded.
But now I love doing them, I even welded up a broken exhaust stud boss for a customer.
Next month I will be porting a set for a local big power Subaru guy.
I got to drive one years ago. The 2 door weird window type it was a fun car.
SVX? First one I drove was a turbo. Lag was horrible. Must have been the late 80's. I had the thing floored trying to get it to climb the 3 inch curb to the apron around my work bay.

SVX? First one I drove was a turbo. Lag was horrible. Must have been the late 80's. I had the thing floored trying to get it to climb the 3 inch curb to the apron around my work bay.
Yes, svx. It was a very low mile trade in back in 1996. I just recall it being fairly nice compared to what was out at that point. It definitely was nothing compared to the stealth r/t TT I had the pleasure of driving anytime I had to run errands for the boss.

I still think the RT stealth was what inspired the Viper concept.

Take a good hard look at them side by side and you will see it.

-
Back