Any Subaru fans?

-
I still think the RT stealth was what inspired the Viper concept.

Take a good hard look at them side by side and you will see it.
From what I remember driving both the stealth was faster 0-60 by a longshot on regular roads & boy was that all wheel steering helpful for compensating torque steer.
I'd like to try out a wrx to see what those can do.

As long it is the same diameter as the other 3 tires, or really close, the donut spares are fine. And they are the same diameter, just skinny.
I dont think that is true

I'll check when I get home, because now I am curious

I DO know I got 2 sets of wheels for that car (all season and winter tires)
So naturally I decided to grab one of the wheels not in use and toss it in trunk as a spare

It would NOT fit in the spare tire well, and I am 95% sure it's because it was too narrow, not too shallow

I have 2 Legacys. '19 "R" 3.6L 6-cylinder, and a '21 XT 2.4L 4-cylinder turbo. Only complaint is the CVT on the '21 is kind of hard to get used to. They make good quality vehicles, and mostly made in Indiana. IMHO you get more for your money than any other car. Many comparable cars without AWD cost a lot more. If you can find a Suby with that 6-cylinder, snatch it up. That's a smooth-running torquey motor!

They are not affordable here. Too many yuppies hold on to them and think they are still worth a mint when they sell them. Boxer engines are alien to me, I can't offer any help unless I'm staring at it and thats probably as far as I would go. Ex girlfriend drove an 80's XT. Wasn't real thrilled with it.

No interest in them since they quit making these:
upload_2021-12-4_15-16-10.jpeg

So, it's been a while!

I'd like to try out a wrx to see what those can do.

I drive down HWY 1 along the coast with my lady and not much can keep up with my WRX in the twistys. The big V8s get me on the straights but im on their bumper all day in the turns.

Most folks will give up before the car. Not alot of folks have experience sliding an all wheel drive car and even less are willing put the power down required TO make the car slide.

I often wonder what happened to the car behind me that tries to follow me into a turn at speed. Most times i never see them again and I wonder if they are still on the road. Folks who dont know what a WRX is thunk its a honda civic and they can hit the turn at the speed im entering it at. They are wrong.

:)

I cant find one near me to save my life right now.

My wife has a 2017 Legacy. Not a bad car. The seats are uncomfortable but other than that not a bad car. Subaru offers new buyer trading on all the tech that comes in the car. Owners manual is somewhat helpful. I like the Forrester and the Outback.

About as much as I like a good bowel movement movement, real similar end result.

Im on my second and third subarus. both I have now are 09's. a forester with 180k and an outback with 128k had to do foresters head gaskets due to outside coolant leak. both good reliable cars and go great in the snow.

145/18-18 isn't a tire size. Not sure what you are trying to show me.
I guess I'm showing my age, that was supposed to be 145/80, not 145/18

Here is the new comparison, closer but still not the same

Screenshot_20211205-090306_Google.jpg

So are you saying the stock tires are 225/60-18 and the stock spare is 145/80-18? Sounds like somebody at Subaru screwed up someplace. That is certainly a big enough difference in diameter to screw up one or more differentials if driven very far.

I have owned an 89 RX, a 2004 WRX, a 2007 WRX and now have a 2018 WRX. They are great cars. Fun to drive, reliable, and all wheel drive for getting around in the winter. The only mechanical problems I had were air injection valves on both the 2004 and 2007. They are a big pain to replace. Changed the timing belts on the 2004 and 2007 at just a bit over 100,000 miles. Kind of a big job, but not bad. Got the belts from Rock Auto so the jobs weren't crazy expensive either.
My Mom drives a 2009 Forester and loves it. Zero problems. The father in-law has a 2010 Forester. He has put a ton of miles on it without a single issue. I think they are great cars.

So are you saying the stock tires are 225/60-18 and the stock spare is 145/80-18? Sounds like somebody at Subaru screwed up someplace. That is certainly a big enough difference in diameter to screw up one or more differentials if driven very far.

YES!
exactly my point

those are the stock tire and spare size
but not for a suby, for my 08 AWD charger

have had several, great little cars. kid is driving my old 2005 Impreza wagon. Dad is rolling in a 2004 forester for a beater.

Im on my 6th Subaru.

Not because they break down but because they are a safe, reliable and fun car that I can always sell for a profit. (I have never lost money on a Subaru.) I buy em cheap, fix em up, drive em until they beat to crap and re sell em.

I have owned
1985, 1987, 1991, 2002, 2007 wrx, 2017 wrx.

I would really like to find another 1987 Loyal wagon. Two speed transfer case, five speed manual trans, lay flat rear sears and unstoppable.

Head gaskets on some years like the 02 can fail but they often fail to the out side so even then its just top off the water once a week.

Timing belt. My 07 WRX i sold at 200,000 for a large profit and it had the original timing belt.

Alignment.

Rotate tires each oil change and have a plug kit. Tire shops wont sell you one tire. You gotta buy all four at once or it will damage the center dif. (This is a lie. I would not put different size tires on but changing one is ok in a pinch.)

If you do need one tire I try to buy it from a mexican tire shop and not the large chain stores as they arnt try to up sell you.

I have spent three days at Dirtfish driving school in washington. The is where Team Subaru trains their Raley drivers. It is not cheap but it will give you a true understanding of just what these cars are capable of. I HIGHLY RECOMEND it to anyone who thinks they would enjoy learning how to better handle a car at speed in adverse conditions.

One other kinda fun aspect of the wrx/sti cars is the "club" mentality. Driving a WRX or STI is like Driving a motor cycle, Jeep or old toyota truck. We all wave at each other and chat when we see another car.

My 2017 WRX

View attachment 1715830623

oh I almost forgot. Always buy them in stock form. DO NOT BUY a modified Subaru.
My wife wanted to replace her Subaru Forester with something with a little more power and it had to be a stick car. We ended up buying a used WRX Limited. She loves the car and has had it for a 3 years. I have had all wheel drive sedans and wagons made by Subaru for a long long time. I was driving an older WRX and decided I am going treat myself and bought a 2015 WRX Base model. The car has had some issues but were fixed under warranty. The biggest issue I have had is oil consumption. A new short block was installed and I still had the issue. It turned out to be valve seals and those were done also under warranty. My car has been fine ever since but it was painful for a bit. Regular oil changes, tire rotations and brakes are done by me. You cannot beat the all wheel drive in a Subaru.

YES!
exactly my point

those are the stock tire and spare size
but not for a suby, for my 08 AWD charger
Subaru has done the same thing on my '21 Legacy. Tires are 225/50-18 (Ø26.85"), but the compact spare is a 155/70-17 (Ø25.84"). In the fine print in the owners manual it says to use this spare only on the rear end, and don't go over 50 mph! That is crazy. Stupid fact is that the spare tire well will easily hold a Ø1" bigger tire. Like if it were a 155/70-18. That's what the spare should be! W.T.F. Subaru?

Subaru has done the same thing on my '21 Legacy. Tires are 225/50-18 (Ø26.85"), but the compact spare is a 155/70-17 (Ø25.84"). In the fine print in the owners manual it says to use this spare only on the rear end, and don't go over 50 mph! That is crazy. Stupid fact is that the spare tire well will easily hold a Ø1" bigger tire. Like if it were a 155/70-18. That's what the spare should be! W.T.F. Subaru?
Does it say anything about disabling awd

at least they give you the option to spend the money and replace it with a full diameter (if not width) spare

the charger's spare tire well will not fit a full size spare

-
Back