Any thoughts on this engine issue

-
crackedback said:
run a wire directly from the battery + to the ballast.

What he said, lol :thumbup:

DartGarth made a good point as well, had to go back & watch the video again, & yes, the timing light IS skipping.

#1 when you had the #1 @ TDC did you check/Mark the balancer?
#2 either something is wrong with your timing light or there is an ignition problem. The light SHOULD NOT skip like that try another light - if the same there is definatly an ignition problem.

XS2

the skipping of the timing light is a misfire.

i counted 3 times the light skipped and it was not the video. if it is doing that on other cylinders then the would account for all the shaking, or maybe even one cylinder would be enough

there was a time or two that #1 missed a couple times in a row

Well, with the idle set at 1000 rpm, it sounds and seems like an intermittent electrical arcing/grounding that I had to chase in one of my former cars. I waited until dark and then started it up and observed the light show of faulty plug wires which were brand new at the time. I replaced those and then saw one of my coil leads would arc near the intake manifold. It turned out that the wire had dried out and developed a crack. Just remembered that this was on a big block and so the coil wires run along the head from the firewall, which is not the same layout as a small block.

But you say that you have replaced the wire harness from the bulkhead connector on the firewall.

Dang! This is puzzling.

Hey Al -- Maybe we should try running it with all the lights off in the garage and see if it puts on an arching light show... Its worth a shot.

lol, I kinda have the same motto. I used to live near Pittsburg, too bad I'm not still in the area, I would gladly drop by to lend a hand. We just moved here a little under a year ago, I was there when all the flooding happened, talk about terrible. I helped get quite a few vehicles dried out & running again.

I'm with 73Abodee on this one now. Good idea to go ahead & find a good dash harness just because of possible corrosion issues.

It may sound odd as you don't have any miles on that motor, though I have watched this happen while breaking a cam in, but the very last thing I would rule out is a flat lobe on the cam. Very unlikely, but have seen it happen a few times with a new cam.

That aside, I will agree on bypassing everything & hot wiring the ignition to see what happens. Let me do some review before telling you how to Hotwire it, I'd hate to tell you how to fry your ignition lol

DFX brought up a good idea too that I didn't think about. Fire it up, then turn all the lights out to see if anything is arcing anywhere maybe

We are trying to rule out everything else before we crack the engine open just to do exploratory surgery on it... We are still hopefully to find something in the electrical / ignition side that fixes the problem...

I am going to try what DFX suggest next time I am up there... unless Al tries it before I get up there next week.

I agree, seems that it would be an arcing issue causing the miss, &/or bad or poorly grounded ignition box, &/or bad coil, &/or short in the wires going in between every one of these components along with the distributer

run a wire directly from the battery + to the ballast.

Me and Al will try this next week. Might be tough to do since the battery is in the trunk.... Can I pull the red wire off of the starter relay and hook that to the ceramic ballast?? Which side of the ceramic ballast does it get hooked to?

demon34071 said:
We are trying to rule out everything else before we crack the engine open just to do exploratory surgery on it... We are still hopefully to find something in the electrical / ignition side that fixes the problem...

I am going to try what DFX suggest next time I am up there... unless Al tries it before I get up there next week.

I don't blame ya one bit, I wouldn't want to tear it apart either if I don't have to. Watching the timing light in the video again, I am going to rule out the cam lobe & go with the 73Abodee, DartGarth, & DFX on an ignition/wiring issue

I read through the entire thread but have lost track of what you have done.
#1 when you had the #1 @ TDC did you check/Mark the balancer?
#2 either something is wrong with your timing light or there is an ignition problem. The light SHOULD NOT skip like that try another light - if the same there is definatly an ignition problem.
3# do you have the vacuum advance hooked up to the ported vacuum on the side of the car? If so get rid of it for now.
#4 Make sure your ignition Box has an EXCELENT ground - the box case should be grounded - clean off the paint behind one of the bolts.
#5 if you think it could be a mechanical distributor problem you can drill some holes in the top of the cap @ #1 terminal - big ones - then you use your timing light to watch the position of the ignition rotor - this assumes you get a nice steady flash from the timing light.

#1-- No need to the marks lined up when we did this.
#2-- Light is definitely good working light -- Which we all agree here it is an ignition / electrical issue for it to jump then
#3-- We did both -- No change -- you can read previous pages of how it runs when we create a deliberate vacuum leak.
#4-- It appears to be good -- maybe I will add another ground strap just to be certain
#5-- I don't think it is a dist problem since we have changed the dist a couple times.

Welcome to the great 340 shake dilemma.... much has been tried.... I think hot wiring it next is the best option to rule out the dash harness.

Me and Al will try this next week. Might be tough to do since the battery is in the trunk.... Can I pull the red wire off of the starter relay and hook that to the ceramic ballast?? Which side of the ceramic ballast does it get hooked to?

I had a problem one time where one of the connectors on the ballast was upside down causing a very weak spark and big misfire . check to make sure the ballast connectors are on correctly. they have locating pins on them. i had one that was broke and it was on upside down and the car started but wouldnt run worth a crap

I had a problem one time where one of the connectors on the ballast was upside down causing a very weak spark and big misfire . check to make sure the ballast connectors are on correctly. they have locating pins on them. i had one that was broke and it was on upside down and the car started but wouldnt run worth a crap

I will ad that to next weeks list of items to check.... I still think the weak spark issue is coming from the column to dash harness connector.... I think the dash harness is causing the drop in current which is trowing off everything else.

Hot wiring it either rule out this out or confirm it.

I don't blame ya one bit, I wouldn't want to tear it apart either if I don't have to. Watching the timing light in the video again, I am going to rule out the cam lobe & go with the 73Abodee, DartGarth, & DFX on an ignition/wiring issue

Me and Mopar Al and every the engine builder agree with everyone else that it has to be an ignition / wiring issue.....

I really think hot wiring the car will help rule out or confirm the dash harness.

demon34071 said:
Me and Mopar Al and every the engine builder agree with everyone else that it has to be an ignition / wiring issue.....

I really think hot wiring the car will help rule out or confirm the dash harness.

Completely agree, now that I remember, I had a 76 Dodge truck for a few years. It always ran decent, but after I rewired the dash & eliminated the Ammeter so the current from the alternator went directly to the battery, I found that the truck seemed to run MUCH better, so yea, I really could see it being a dash/column wiring issue here

May be emi interference causing fluctuations in the ecu. I have had it before and chased that demon for months.

Or faulty ignition components.

Or simple power and electrical short / bad circuit - feeding ignition components.

Are you running the correct resistance plug wires? These are technically needed to prevent emi which could confuse your ecu.

Correct plugs?

Is the signal wire from your distributor to your ecu running along (against) any path such as the alternator main lead or plug wires? This could cause emi and throw off your ecu.

Is your ecu grounded cleanly?

Have you replaced the ecu with a good quality stock one or fully tested your existing one on some sort of space aged 70s oscilloscope?

Have you tried another good or new coil?

Have you fully verified that your reluctor (distributor pickup) is not flaky or shorting or opening?

I would eliminate the car wiring from the ignition system by simply setting up an ecu to the coil and distributor and run it with an inline fuse off the battery (away from any car wires). This way you can be sure you have a clean working ignition system first.

Or like someone said, drop a points distributor in, which is set up correctly, to eliminate the existing ignition system, for testing and run the ignition system off the battery with an inline fuse.

Or process eliminate the components in the electronic ignition system first, either by fully testing each component the correct way, then fully verifying each component is wired clean and has good ground and power, then move to the carb.

If the motor ran properly then just got flooded with water, it is unlikely that any mechanical issue is causing it. Particularly since you have verified and double verified for consistency that the combustion chambers are sealing during cranking (compression check).

Have you double verified that the compression checks are consistent?

It is very likely that electrical components and connectors are fried, corroded or committed suicide.

A off the wall question: what is running /charging voltage? In the old tune up classes,1 volt in,= 5,000 volts at the plug wire.Applies to point systems,non C.D box systems.Just an abbynormal thought.

UPDATE::: Spent the afternoon up at A's working on my car and also helping with a rear end swap on a 69 Dart GT... Anyway here is what I found out today:

1) Hot wired the car -- I disconnected the dash HOT from the starter relay on the fender. Then put a jumper from that same point on the starter relay to the ceramic ballast

2) Started the car -- Best it has run yet and the car never shut off on its own. I still have some shaking at lower idle. -- Pulled the #1 plug wired and it ran like crap and then conked out. -- Okay this was good news! -- This points me towards a faulty column & dash harness.

3) Just to make sure that #2 made sense -- I reconnected the ignition wire to the starter relay. Started the car, ran rougher, and then the car conked out. I started it a second time and we got it running (stiller rougher than #2) we then pulled the #1 plug wire and NO CHANGE in how it ran.

CONCLUSION::: I have a bad dash harness and or column wiring harness. -- That seems to be the only logical conclusion since HOT WIRING the car in #2 and then pulling the #1 plug wire when running created a normal effect on the engine.

Any thoughts as to whether this makes sense that its a dash / column wiring harness issue?

OK just got thru reading this thread WOW!!!

#1 You need to do the "In the dark test"

#2 Were are you hooking up your electric Chock? If its from you ign feed, aka the hot wire to the coil, Thats Your Problem (ask me how i know:D)

#3 if it is, in you dash, you don't need to replace the hole dash wiring!!!!!
With the car running check the voltage at the alt. output post(the big wire) now fallow the power wire from the starter(were you jumped it before) Keep testing that wire thru the ign sw all the way back to the ballast resister......were the voltage drops is were you need to install a new wire.

Now, Just for your own info as to why it only mist at idle......check your battery voltage at the lowest rpm it will run and then check the battery voltage aka alt. charging voltage, at 1000 rpm..........

Hoping to jog some memories on this one..... Was the issue ever solved? I have a similar problem with a 360. Just wonder what the OP figured out. Thanks

Nope still has yet to be figured out…everything suggested was tried and solved nothing nor clearly pointed me in a direction…. so after attempting to get it solved for about 6-8 months I tabled it, pulled the car in the warehouse and have not looked at it since…

Time to completely start over with the basics......................

Separate the car COMPLETELY from the fuel system

Supply fuel from an outside, known clean source, like a boat / outboard tank.

Monitor battery voltage or better yet, disable the alternator to prevent overcharge / voltage spike problems

Replace distributor and ignition. SEPARATE ignition from wiring harness, IE "hot wire" ignition to battery. You've been screwing with this since July of 012? Ridiculous

Time to completely start over with the basics......................

Separate the car COMPLETELY from the fuel system

Supply fuel from an outside, known clean source, like a boat / outboard tank.

Monitor battery voltage or better yet, disable the alternator to prevent overcharge / voltage spike problems

Replace distributor and ignition. SEPARATE ignition from wiring harness, IE "hot wire" ignition to battery. You've been screwing with this since July of 012? Ridiculous

All of your suggestions have been tried and then some... -- The Issue remained… car is now sitting in the warehouse as I don't have the time to address it….

Your air bleeds are plugged...spray some carb cleaner down all 8 idle and high speed..make sure your face isn't over top of the carb because it could spray back..use the red straw that comes with the cleaner and spray it directly in each one...that's where I'd go first before you start taking the car apart...seen this exact thing quite a few times...you owe me a $150.00 :laughing:

All of your suggestions have been tried and then some... -- The Issue remained… car is now sitting in the warehouse as I don't have the time to address it….

Damn, was hoping to see a positive outcome. If you get some free time (is there such a thing?) keep us posted.

-
Back