Any tips or recommendations on header install on '74 Duster

-

zig

Reaction score
I finally dropped my newly rebuild 340/904 combo yesterday. After wrestling it for a bit, I was finally in.Once I was close I tried inserting the headers in. It seemed like I could get one close, than the other wouldn't fit at all.

Any tips on installing a set of Doug's headers on a 74 Duster? Should I disconnect the tie rods? It seems like if I removed torsion bars and steering box, they would slide easier, but then I'm sure reinstalling will be a nightmare.

At this point I am looking for any guidance... I know either way it is going to be a job. This is my first build and so far it is going well. I knew reassembly was going to be challenging..

Thanks for any info...

are they long tube or shorty's??

If they are long tube, I would assume you are having trouble with the driver's side

Drop your steering column from the firewall and remove the steering shaft from the steering box. I remember having to put my centerlink thought the header, so you will have to remove some steering components to make that happen.

Hope this helps!

Just pull the steering column as mentioned above. I don't think the steering link goes through the dougs headers. So you should be able to leave all that together.

My '72 has '74 K-frame in it and I installed Doug's long tube headers quite easily. Hardest part was not marring the finish.

Jack up motor just enough to clear ears on the K, slide over to passenger side (loosening the trans isolator can help but wasn't needed for my car. The drivers' side came in from the bottom.

Lay it in there, and slide motor over to drivers side, drop it in from the top. I never even pulled the oil filter.

Hopefully this helps?

Thanks for the comments. I was looking again last night at it. No the steering linkage does not go through doug's headers.
jos51700 I will try your advice. It also looked like if I disconnected the tie rods there would be enough clearance from underneath. I will try without first...

I already scraped my headers a bit. Mostly in unseen areas, so hopefully the areas you can see will be nice and clean...

Keep them in the bags to protect them.

If you just dropped the engine in, I usually place headers in the bay and drop the engine in. No jacking it up, etc. Next time it may make things easier, especially if you have an extra pair of hands.

-
Back