any tricks or tips for a firmer, shorter shift?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what i can do to get a better, shorter shift out of my 4 speed?

A shorter handle will shorten the throws.

Make sure all the linkage is in good condition, loose sloppy linkage makes for a soggy shifter.

Some of the hurst shifters have a rubber insert where the chrome handle attaches the the shifter. This can cause sloppiness.

If it is a comp plus shifter you can replace bushings in the linkage.

If you are really creative you could try and move the holes on the transmission closer to the pivot point. This would require welding or brazing up the old holes and redrilling new ones. I haven't tried this but it should work.

But in the end, no matter what you doto it, it is not going to shifter like a modern internal rail shifter.

hi, take the shift arms off the trans. they are very hard tempered. heat the end red hot, let it cool slowly. now its softer and can drill a new hole.
measure and see if there is room for a lower hole. then drill a new hole. after drilling and make sure rod fits. then heat arm to red hot and quench in water. this will make it hard again. on a hurst super shifter 3, shortened travel from 4+" to right at 3". doesn't sound like much, but it sure shifts fast. also, be sure shifter is not wore out and sloppy.

I had a 73 Challenger with a 4 speed in it. The shifter arms had 2 sets of holes, the bottom holes were closer to the pivits. I read that all 72 - 74 E Body 4 speed cars had those arms, and the purpose was for shorter shifts.

thanks guys for all your help, also does anyone have a e body pistol grip in there early A? mines in route just wondering how it fits? thanks

I am putting one in mine in a few weeks,as soon as the engine is painted and the headers and new clutch arrives. Looks like it is going to fit pretty good. But there may be a couple of surprises. Surprises don't bother me much anymore it just stimulates my creative thinking to come up with a logical solution to the surprise. LOL I will take some pics of mine when done but that will probably be TOO LATE. And being TOO LATE is another story in itself for me or about me! You can make just about anything work properly and look good If you have to! All it requires is some QUALITY thinking and PLANNING , GOOD tools, CREATIVE engineering and then you are almost done.

I have a slickshift with jerico gears in it. complete aluminum case trans has been polished will NOT downshift on street, race only, set up for bb went 8.30s before liberty gears broke $2000 takes it, and it all fresh and guaranted

-
Back