Any tricks to get a broken glove box lock open?

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
The glove box in my 72 Dart won't open. It has never been open since I have owned the car. The turn style lock just spins around and does not catch anything. I don't want to just pry it and bend or brake something. Are there any tricks to getting this open?

Try a coat hanger with different bends threw the gaps and unlatch the one
way door catcher, Just like a house door. I am not sure though.
Just try it and see if this works.

Is the glove box liner in good condition?

If its not, I'd just go at the latch from underneath. You could also just use a razor blade to cut an access hole in the liner, then tape it back in place once its open.

Ya, I willl check out the liner. I was just hoping there was a cool trick that pops it right open.

Just had to rip the liner out to open mine. I saw a replacement for about $13.00.

lol I was going to say BFH but anyways.Isn't there a little hole in the center of the handle to put a small object like a pick into to slide the locker out if the door.Maybe that will open it up.

if you have the key to the lock you can "bump" the key with a ball peen hammer a few times to pretty much destroy the tumblers and hopefully get it to open. Or use a key that fits and bump that key a few times. If bumping gets it open the latch should still turn but won't lock. Any key that fits will be able to open it. Do a search on "bump keys" on the internet. Its an old burglars trick but it is used in the industry by lock smiths and fire fighters, although fire fighters prefer axes!

Unfortunately, there is no key slot. I am headed up to where the car is tomorrow. There is a little hole in the center of it knob, I think am going to try the old locking gas cap trick and run a screw into it and see if that works.

If nothing else, knock on the door lightly, and ask the mice that are occupying the interior space if they will kindly open the door for you. lol

If nothing else, knock on the door lightly, and ask the mice that are occupying the interior space if they will kindly open the door for you. lol

Hahaha, one of the reasons I don't want to reach up and pull the liner out from the back. I know it would land on my head if there is one in there... usually is.

I had hoped for some treasure but there was not even a mouse or the house of a mouse :)

I am hoping for the same. The guy I got it from only had the car for about 5 years and am hoping he never opened it up also. Maybe it will have an original book in there or something. On my way to try and get it open now. Keep ya updated.

-
Back