Anybody else run type F transmission fluid

-
He put it in a 86 Beater Dodge Lancer.Tranny slipped till it gave out.

probably common knowledge but a lot of the dragster guys run 10wt hydraulic or type f in the rear ends of their cars. pushes way easier and does not hurt a thing. makes a difference. been there done that.

I have heard Stocker Drag Racers run only 1 quart of 30W in the rear. Maybe ??

Ran type F in everything, Mopar, Ford and GM for decades. I don't see any reason to change now. (Sure do like the price on that bucket!).
I wonder if Tractor Supply has any deals like that?

I have heard Stocker Drag Racers run only 1 quart of 30W in the rear. Maybe ??

That could be an old timers trick, when the widely available gear oils were pretty thick.
Believe it or not, the viscosity of a grade 30 engine oil fall within the viscosity ranges specified for 80W and 85W gear oils. There are gear oils available now in a 75W-80 grade, which are thinner than SAE 30 engine oil. And they have all the extreme pressure additives engine oils don't. So if the idea is to use a small amount of thin oil in pursuit of that last .001 of ET, these might help the rear end live longer.

5 gallons for $37 is a HELL of a deal. Cheapest I found was at napa. They regularly have sales on their house brand Type F (#NOL 75205) for about $3.50/qt.

Does anybody know if the friction modifiers in type F have any adverse effect on lockup torque convertors?

Does anybody know if the friction modifiers in type F have any adverse effect on lockup torque convertors?[/QUOTE
My understanding is Type F has a better friction coefficient. Dextrin has friction modifiers to allow slippage, and softer shifts
My understanding is Type F has a better friction coefficient. Dextron has friction modifiers for softer shifts.

Does this discussion mean I can use any type ATF in my Barracuda? If so, why do manufacturers recommend specific types? I've always been very careful to use the manufacturer's recommended ATF.

Does this discussion mean I can use any type ATF in my Barracuda? If so, why do manufacturers recommend specific types? I've always been very careful to use the manufacturer's recommended ATF.
The discussion is only about using Ford type F in a torqueflite. If you want to run "any type ATF" in your Barracuda, have at it. That's on you.

On my late model stuff, and my diesels, I will probably run the recommended stuff, unless it is insanely priced.
I think you can run almost anything in a 904/727. I run type f for crisper shifts.

There's an article "somewhere" over there on Allpar that talks about a California county highway patrol, I believe it was whose requirement for a new patrol fleet was that they used the same in the transmission as in the engine. The Chrysler engineers at the time all agreed 10w30 would work and that's what they used and it worked fine. It was an older article so it may have been straight up 30 weight, but they did use engine oil in the transmissions and it worked fine. I've tried to "refind" that article with no luck. Maybe one of you fellers can find it.....

Does this discussion mean I can use any type ATF in my Barracuda?
No

If so, why do manufacturers recommend specific types?
Because they design the transmission to act a certain way. The ATF has a certain characteristics to it and it’s part of the overall design. Soft shifts for the passenger car and trucks.
I've always been very careful to use the manufacturer's recommended ATF.
Then your in good shape. Street machines and racers will use the type F for reasons described above. If you have a well hopped up engine and your looking for a firmer shift while under a WOT application, then the type F will help.
If your car is a daily cruiser that doesn’t get raced, what your using is fine.

Hey Rob, I bet you have heard of Old Guy transmission shops doing rebuilds recommend 1 quart of 30 WT non detergent motor oil. I've been doing that for 40+years.Old wives tale ?

Hey Rob, I bet you have heard of Old Guy transmission shops doing rebuilds recommend 1 quart of 30 WT non detergent motor oil. I've been doing that for 40+years.Old wives tale ?
I’ve never heard of that. I really don’t have much to add to automatic transmission discussions. But that could be! I’ve been a manual trans guy most of my life. The only automatic trans I ever did anything to was a 904 with the MP shift improved kit. I’ve had to mix transmission fluids before. No choice at the time. No issues from it ether.

A Long Island (then local to me) legendary trans builder, Freddy Brown did my 904 & told me to run type F. That’s all I need to know there! LOL!
When I had my converter for the wife’s car done by again, a then local legend, Pro Torque, they said run type F trans fluid. That’s all I need to know there again!

The car is drivable everyday, but is also designed to get some on the Hwy. & street. Still a mild performer of a car but it is respectable and fun. I’ve noticed a tighter firmer shirt with the F fluid over the others. In my performance and race cars, that’s what it gets. According to others here, it’s fine in there daily drivers.

Again, I’ve never heard of 30WT oil or the previously mentioned Hyd. fluid.

I started using Type-F back in 1973 in all my Mopars, 904's, 727's, 833's and even later in the A525 in my 2.2 Shelby. Even the lock-up Auto's got it. I did try Tractor Fluid and it shifted like Dexron II when warm.

DO NOT RUN IT IN A TRANS THAT CALLS FOR ATF+. DO NOT RUN ANY DEXRON IN THEM. USE ATF+4. Had to drive 60 miles home in Limp Home mode in my 1993 P-Body Duster 3.0L A604 after putting in 4 quarts of Dexron IV when we replaced a CV shaft.

Last edited:
Woops ! SHIRT ? Maybe on a busty babe !:poke:
OK! But I don’t want this to turn into a babe thread W/transmissions!
upload_2022-3-16_20-41-12.jpeg

-
Back