Anybody Else Write Music?

-
I was only in 2 bands (outside of high school sanctioned stuff), and each did 1 live gig. This is back in the 80's. The 1st band did a short 45 minute concert at a local church one Friday evening. One of the songs was "Joe's Garage", by Frank Zappa. I cherish the look on the one Elder's face when I said, "And our next piece is from Frank Zappa..." PRICELESS! Of course we changed the words, "We didn't have no coke or LSD but a couple quarts of beer..." to "We didn't have no Coke or 7-Up, but a couple quarts of root beer..."

I owned the same band for over 30 years, hundreds of songs, a couple CD’s, all different styles, from Irish to bluegrass to rock and everything in between. That broke up at the start of Covid, so I started playing in a couple other bands. Didn’t know how good I had it, and found that in every other band there is what I call the “weakest link” syndrome. Myself, the drummer and the guitar player could play anything at the drop of a hat, then wait 3 months for the other 2 member to try and learn one song. Or, dudes who forget the lyrics to their own songs, even with a cheat sheet to look at. I finally gave up and haven’t been playing for about 6 months now.

I am an encyclopedia of lyrics, and have a photographic memory. As such, I was always the other members crutch when they were at a loss for the words. It’s a curse really, as I abhor anybody that uses a technical device to sing the lyrics. In my mind, if you don’t know the words, then you can’t present the song properly. I absolutely hate seeing someone on stage behind a lyric book, who then messes up the song anyway. That’s not entertainment to me. Yes, I was spoiled.
I feel ya. I had it with the drummers brother in law who talked the talk and had gear but couldn't walk the walk. I'm too old to play in front of folks and sound like a high school garage band. All I ask is that the stage show is presentable, not grown men faking it. I also walked last April and haven't been doing much, we had a gig in July but i refused to play it.

As part of my wedding ceremony, I had written a song that I serenaded by brand new wife with. I played the guitar at the wedding, but years later I recorded it, adding several more instruments:

-
Back