Anybody Ever Seen an NOS "Formula "S" Exhaust System?? Now With Pics!!

-
The formula-s came with either 273 hipo(commando) or 383 in 67. However you could get the 273 hipo in a regular barracuda or Dart but in Dodges its chrome air cleaner said "Charger" 273. The 383 was a formula-s only package.
And yes the Y pipe looks real funky at the union. The guy at the exhaust shop when I was getting it fitted for dual's stated it looked weird. It was later after some research I realized it was still the factory exhaust on the car.The resonator came with the car not on it. in fact most of the car came in boxes lol. Here are some pictures of the cut out, 2 of my car before and after paint, and one a friend of mine who is the original owner of his 67 Form-S car.

To clarify for us "less than Ulf" readers, was the "Formula S" the same option as "Commando" and "HiPo"? Was it a term only used for Barracudas? It sounds like the dual exhaust was only for the rare Big Block engines (race only?). Those would have had a cut-out on the passenger side of the transmission support, which people do today to fit dual exhaust (TTI can mod. yours).

The AllPar site has a photo of a car showing the unique recess in the rear panel for the rectangular resonator. Besides the fender tag, that is about the only proof a car shipped with the Commando engine. I post a drawing from a FABO post showing the Commando exhaust discussed here. That Y-pipe looks a little hillbilly. Hard to believe a factory design, but I guess for low volume it made sense. My 2bbl Y-pipe is more elegant butt-welded pipes, but that required tooling. Real interesting that a single pipe made more power. I guess I won't be cutting my cross-member.

Attachments

• IMG_0852 (800x747).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1346 (800x533).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1588.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 186
Man, that Y looks bush league! Wonder if the resto-mod guys could clean that up a little? 273 was a small motor, needed torque so they bottled up the exhaust for some needed back pressure. Throw duals on it and you would lose HP, but might behave better in a manual trans car.

"Ulf" is "65DartCharger" above of Sweden. He is the expert on the rare Dart Charger model, which had the Commando engine (all, I think). He has a list of all such cars made. He is working for factory perfection on his car, which is even harder since he lives across the pond. Many here help him in that effort.

Here's a picture of the Accurate LTD system.

IMG_0236Medium.jpg

And what it sounds like.

[ame="http://youtu.be/LVoRSqmPOk0"]302 Found[/ame]

There would be differences on the over the rear end pipe between the Dart and the Valiant/Barracuda. I know for sure that 65 was strait through but I'm not sure for 66. 65 mufflers have the in and outlet centered.

Cosgig, what is the date code on the resonator? All assembly line stuff have the pentastar.

Definately straight through and had the inlet and outlet centered on my 65 and 66. At some date, they went to a non straight through muffler but not sure when. Pretty sure by 67 though.

Steve, I still have the original factory exhaust on my Formula S. It has a muffler and resonator and yeah it is OLD. has a couple small holes on the over axle pipe. I also was reading that they did test with dual exhaust and found the design on the single made more power then with standard dual exhaust.

Don't know about more power but as soon as the Plymouth dealer used car salesman jumped in and started my first b-cuda with me standing behind, that car was SOLD!!! It was a 67 273 Commando with 4 speed and it really sounded nice.

I used to cruise around with the wheel covers off and the idle turned up a bit and all of a sudden, everybody wanted to race me from the stop lights.

-
Back