Anybody experience this with a 46re?

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with 46re trans? Its in my 98 1500 4x4. Changes d filter and fluid awhile back. If I pull up to a stopsign, then accelerate kinda quickly, it acts like it spins the tires for a foot or so, but its not! Doesn't slip in any other gear and it pulls fine if I kick it down from a roll. Just feels like momentary tire spin from a dead stop, but its definitely not. Never had an automatic Trans act like this. Thanks

My 2001 1500 5.9 was doing crazy shifting things then the check engine light came on. Replaced the governor sensor and solenoid and all is well. Phew!!

My 2001 1500 5.9 was doing crazy shifting things then the check engine light came on. Replaced the governor sensor and solenoid and all is well. Phew!!

X2 in my 97 ram 5.9....kit on ebay for 100.00

My Dakota occasionally wants to launch in 2nd. Usually if I stop, shut it off, and restart, it will "fix." Occasionally, if you try to launch in L1 and manually shift to L2 or D, it won't come out of L1

Buddy’s right change the transducer and gov.pressure sensor

Mine was doing the same thing until it would start in second and never shift out.

Replacing the solenoid and sensor is very simple. Drop the pan, remove filter, unplug wires, unbolt gov/sol assembly, swap parts out, put
My Dakota occasionally wants to launch in 2nd. Usually if I stop, shut it off, and restart, it will "fix." Occasionally, if you try to launch in L1 and manually shift to L2 or D, it won't come out of L1
it back in and wham! Your done

What brand solenoid did you guys use? Getting pretty hard to find anybody that makes electrical components that actually work!!!! Also,when I changed the filter, the old one looked juSt like an old 727 filter with 3 screws holding it to the valve body. The new one was a plastic/tin piece that only had 2 holes for retaining screws and came with 2 different pan gaskets.

I worked at the dealership only used mopar original parts no luck with other stuff.

So is the governor pressure sensor letting the Trans slip momentarily when I take off from a dead stop? Gotta love all these solenoid and sensors!!!!

mine would not shift out of first gear at all and felt like it was slipping.....governor pressure controls upshifts on these trans

Think ill have carquest order the parts for me. That way when the new one goes bad ill have someplace to take it instead of sending it back in the mail, then waiting for a replacement. In really hoping this fixes it after seeing what a rebuild costs. When I changed the fluid a few months ago, it didn't look that bad or smell burnt. I just had no idea when it was last changed. Filled it with ATF 4 and it still looks and smells good. Just figured id check with you guys before condemning this Trans, glad I did. Ill let you know how it turns out

What brand solenoid did you guys use? Getting pretty hard to find anybody that makes electrical components that actually work!!!! Also,when I changed the filter, the old one looked juSt like an old 727 filter with 3 screws holding it to the valve body. The new one was a plastic/tin piece that only had 2 holes for retaining screws and came with 2 different pan gaskets.
The A518 series used the Dacron filter from 1990 to 1999. In 1997 Chrysler changed to the plastic body filter. 1997-1999 units can utilize either filter. You may also find that buying an after market filter kit may come with pan gaskets for not only your A518 transmission but also for the A500 series. Both series of transmissions use the same filters.

I worked at the dealership only used mopar original parts no luck with other stuff.
I worked for a transmission aftermarket parts supplier. We sold lots of the Borg Warner electrical transmission parts and never had an issue with them. If my memory serves me right, the Borg Solenoids were on back order once and to fulfill orders, we brought some OEM parts from the local dealer and I believe they were Borg Warner parts in the Chrysler Box. Like the time when I worked in a GM parts department and my customer absolutely demanded GM pistons for his HP 350. Boy was he surprised when he opened one of the boxes and found they were TRW pistons. Lots of stuff in OEM boxes that are not made by the factory, but by a trusted outside source. It's an eyeopener to see what, despite the factory packaging, what isn't made by the vehicle maker but by other companies.

My transmission will shift from 1st to second but after that you have to let off the gas and it will change. Downshifts fine. Changed the fluid and filter. Ordered the parts off eBay to change the governor and all but parts are different from what I have.
Transmission shop wants 2500 to rebuild. My 96 ram 1500 isn't worth that much.

I have 2001 ram 1500 sport with the off road package. 180,000 miles original. Trans was shifting all over the place. Changed the fluid and filter and the 2 parts next to filter. Added a Lucas slip stuff seemed better. Then the truck just wouldn't pull any hills. I cut the pipe off right behind the catalytic converter and gutted the cat. Feels like I gained a 100 horsepower runs great and trans works better now... just my .002...

My transmission will shift from 1st to second but after that you have to let off the gas and it will change. Downshifts fine. Changed the fluid and filter. Ordered the parts off eBay to change the governor and all but parts are different from what I have.
Transmission shop wants 2500 to rebuild. My 96 ram 1500 isn't worth that much.
OK, maybe this will help you and others when ordering the electrical parts for your transmission. .
1: Dual pack solenoid(includes 3-4 and Lockup solenoid). It has an 8 pin connector with a 4 prong Round transducer connector. Fits 1996-2000
2: Trans. pressure sensor (aka Transducer). Has the 4 prong round connector. Fits 1996-2000.
3: Governor pressure solenoid 2 prong connector. Fits from 1996 on.
4: Output speed sensor. For units with electronic Governor only. Fits 1996-on.
When you need to order these parts, you must be sure of the year of the transmission and know what type of end is on the connector. There are different types.

I don't want to knock people that sell these parts on E-Bay or others, but dealing with companies such as Transtar, W.I.T., and other like companies have the experience others may lack. JMHO.

Hope this helps.

I would not buy a new Chrysler one either. I got mine from Dnj
You want the new Borg Warner or other aftermarket heavy duty model.

-
Back