Anybody here ever had your car/ race car ceramic coated

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Guy who runs the detail shop we use was just in getting a car from us to detail.
He saw my Dart on the showroom and told me how much it would pop if he ceramic coated it.
Guaranteed me I would be impressed with how it looked after having it done.
Anybody had this done? Thoughts?

Dealerships and detailers are pushing this at big cost. Those in the trade are not using it, preferring polymer sealers at present. I see many show cars shine w/o it. I think many are unconvinced about it's benefits and would like to hear from others.

My neighbor had his black Challenger done. Looked great when done. After the first ride it looked the same as before. Just a gimmick for money you can by in a bottle at Autozone

Our 21 Jeep has it from the dealership. I had my 22 RAM done at a detail shop. I’d do it to my Belvedere if the paint was nicer. It’s great if properly applied.

Our 21 Jeep has it from the dealership. I had my 22 RAM done at a detail shop. I’d do it to my Belvedere if the paint was nicer. It’s great if properly applied.

kinda what I have read on it.
The guy who would do it has a certification he had to get for it.
We have used his shop for years and trust the work they do.
He told me he would need my car 3 days to do it. Have no reason not to trust him at this point. The price he gave me I know is very, very fair. Much cheaper than Joe blow would pay. He likes my ride, and my paint is very nice on it.
He want to do it to kinda show off his work. He knows I know a lot of people

I have had all of my work trucks done by the guy that details them. 3 semis, 4 F550s, and 3 shop trucks. They look fantastic when done and cleaning them is now so much easier.
image.jpg

this is the product he uses.

B9615812-25E8-408F-952F-7D799C26B86D.png

it seems to add depth to darker colors and brings out more of the shine. Our guy does some pretty extensive cleaning and color sanding prior to ceramic coating and the results are really nice.

My girls bought a new Subaru Crosstrek last March so we’ve had it a year now. The dealers are applying the coat when the car arrive and the salesmen are eluding to it being an option but in reality it’s not something you can take off the invoice and are stuck with an added 750 bucks…

A year later the paint still looks really good, but you can feel in areas like the door bottom where a clay bar will have to be used. Other thing that seams funky with it is the windshield, as the wipers rubber along with the blue juice / other glass cleaners, and rain X make for a real pain in the *** to get clean and have the rain X work as it should and does on non coated windshields.

The whole car is sprayed, glass and all. It is best when the paint / clear coat is new and fresh without any dust or FOD on the car. I’m not sold that the cost outweighs the benefit of a good wash and wax job.

My girls bought a new Subaru Crosstrek last March so we’ve had it a year now. The dealers are applying the coat when the car arrive and the salesmen are eluding to it being an option but in reality it’s not something you can take off the invoice and are stuck with an added 750 bucks…

A year later the paint still looks really good, but you can feel in areas like the door bottom where a clay bar will have to be used. Other thing that seams funky with it is the windshield, as the wipers rubber along with the blue juice / other glass cleaners, and rain X make for a real pain in the *** to get clean and have the rain X work as it should and does on non coated windshields.

The whole car is sprayed, glass and all. It is best when the paint / clear coat is new and fresh without any dust or FOD on the car. I’m not sold that the cost outweighs the benefit of a good wash and wax job.

sorry to hear that. Sounds like a predatory way of doing business.
I wonder if how they are doing the procedure is like what my guy is telling me. He says it’s a 3 day deal to do one car.
No way the dealer could be investing that much time and space.
I suspect the answer to my original question probably is…..depends on who does it

Ours are done by hand on painted surfaces only. No plastic or glass. It takes him about 18 hours of clean, prep, and application of ceramic. Then 24 hours of cure time

The dealer that sold us the Jeep

The whole car is sprayed, glass and all. It is best when the paint / clear coat is new and fresh without any dust or FOD on the car. I’m not sold that the cost outweighs the benefit of a good wash and wax job.[/QUO

Our Jeep had ceramic coating on it when we bought it and it was $750. When I commented to the salesman that I would have rather had my detail guy do it he said that the $750 was for the warranty on the coating so we opted out of the warranty and paid nothing for it.

Ours are done by hand on painted surfaces only. No plastic or glass. It takes him about 18 hours of clean, prep, and application of ceramic. Then 24 hours of cure time

my guy wanted to do the glass too. If I pull the trigger, think I will skip the glass and just do the paint. He said the vinyl top will look better too, have him do that as well

Is there a way to remove it if repairs to paint and bodywork are needed? I can see that being a big pain in the *** to work with…

my guy wanted to do the glass too. If I pull the trigger, think I will skip the glass and just do the paint. He said the vinyl top will look better too, have him do that as well
I’m not sure it makes a difference one way or the other. Our guy just doesn’t do it. I’m weird about glass, I actually wax my windshields with carnuba wax. When it rains the water runs right off.

I had the glass done. No complaints. I prefer it over Rain-X, etc. I have them reapply annually.

One of the guys in our club, Rob, ceramic coats all the cars, from our club, that are entered into the Detroit Autorama.

temp-1.jpg
temp-2.jpg
temp-3.jpg
temp-4.jpg
temp-5.jpg

I've got parts I'd rather buy, but maybe if I were racing and it made me some time or mph through the traps.:D

-
Back