Anybody install new seat skins??

-

MoparLvr

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying some used buckets for my Dart and was wondering if anybody has put new seat covers on their seats. How difficult is it and should it be left to a pro?

Hummmmmmmmm, well, it's like this;

Once you go to a shop to have the seat covered, and see the price they'll charge you, you'll probably run home holding your wallet and try to cover the seat yourself, with results most likely being, you running back to pay the man.

Yep, it's not an easy thing to do never mind do really nice.

Thanks Rumblefish. Sounds like going with a pro is another case of money well spent, although my wife might not agree with the "well" part.

I agree with rumblefish, Its tough, I put on a set for a 75 Vette with new foam. Took me all damn day, looked good but still not as nice as a pro would have done it.

i agree, my hands were sore for a week from snipping off hog rings and clipping on new ones. imho upholsterers earn every penny they make.

IMG_1902_1.jpg

There is a certain amount of pride in doing it yourself. It certainly looks like you've done yourself proud. Nice job!! Wanna do mine next??

A local shop quoted me $500 to install new seat covers front and back (buckets) NOT including the new covers. I then spent $20 on hog ring pliers and rings. The back seat was pretty easy. The buckets were a pain. Go slow and do it in the sun if you can as this makes stretching the covers easier.

Thanks Mean I'll keep that in mind. Summer project of course. When they say "sunny Manitoba" they neglect to mention the "cold" part. I noticed in your message you have a number of cars " gone ". I sure hope they didn't meet untimely demises.

I had mine recovered for an X-mas present from my dad. So I don't know the price, but here are the results. And sorry that I don't have a good picture of strictly the new seats after the recovering. Both pictures I had of them would not upload. The buckets were out of a Roadrunner Volare, I believe a 76. Correct me if I'm wrong, it would be good to know :)

P1010725.jpg

P1020518.jpg

Ya Ya I know, the passenger seat wasn't installed at the time, haha.

P1010725.jpg

P1020518.jpg

As previously stated, back seats are a breeze but buckets are another matter. Most of the time a top & bottom back seat takes me about 2-3 hours. Buckets can take that a piece. Most importantly, buy quality covers if you decide to do it yourself. The extra money it costs is worth the price in the quality. You simply can't beat Legendary's stuff.

FWIW - If you are not looking for 100% original looking seats, shop around and a lot of times you can get the entire thing done for about the same price as the covers would cost...

-
Back