Anybody know of a lightweight steering column kit

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a lightweight steering column kit for my 70 dart drag car.
If anyone has any recommendations on what they use, made work or maybe even a company that actually makes a freaking part for a mopar
could you please let me know. I've been on the net looking around but haven't found anything.
I'll probably need it to be sfi certified but I'm not sure on that for running in low 10s possibly high 9s.
Thank you!!!!

Just a thought.

Take a column apart.

Take the steering shaft and make a support for it for under the dash and at the floor.

Doesn't get lighter than that.

As for passing tech????

My Demon came with a set up similar to the S & W kit. It was fabricated by the PO using a Delrin type bushing at the top and bottom of the tube. None of the tech people I've dealt with have ever questioned it over the last 10 plus years.

Last edited:
Here is the one I use on this post:

Got mine from Jimmy Allred.

IMG_1973.jpeg

Chris alston has a kit as well and comes with the 5 point detectable steering wheel hub. I used this one in my 72 satellite before I sold it.

Screenshot_20231103-123242_Chrome.jpg

That's pretty nice. I'll go check it out, thank you!
There's a ton of nice options out there but I want one of the Jimmy Allred / Twisted Metal ones simply because of the triangular base plate that appears to make it a bolt on for our cars.

There's a ton of nice options out there but I want one of the Jimmy Allred / Twisted Metal ones simply because of the triangular base plate that appears to make it a bolt on for our cars.
Yeah, I have looked up a-body specific but I can't seem to find one & have made it this long without Facebook.... don't want to get on it now.
I think his prices are really fair too.

Yeah, I have looked up a-body specific but I can't seem to find one & have made it this long without Facebook.... don't want to get on it now.
Ah, he's on FB? I'll go check it out and get back to you.

Found him! Waiting for him to get back to me with a price. Apparently he has them in stock and they only weigh 11 lbs vs 30+ for stock.

Awesome thank you bill
They are $275 + shipping. He currently has one in stock ready to ship but is making more. Waiting for a few more questions to be answered but it looks like I might buy one. If I do, I will give you my honest opinion on it.

They are $275 + shipping. He currently has one in stock ready to ship but is making more. Waiting for a few more questions to be answered but it looks like I might buy one. If I do, I will give you my honest opinion on it.
Great, thanks!

Here you go. Bottom is splined for splined universal style coupler, top is extra length as it is cut to size, then weld on quick release. All ball bearing setup.... no plastic bushings.

View attachment 1716162010

View attachment 1716162011

View attachment 1716162012

View attachment 1716162013
That is nice, the Chris Alston one does have plastic bushings, that's the only thing I didn't care for on that kit. This one is nice. Wonder where that turn signal kit if from on the bottom pic above.

-
Back