Anybody own one of these

-

d Dartman

Reaction score
90 Amp Flux Wire Welder from Harbor Freight on sale for $120.00

Item # 98871 Manufacturer: Chicago Electric Welding Systems

Not good. Not powerful enough to weld much of anything. If you use it on sheet metal it will spit and sputter and build up slag that will have to be chipped or ground off. What do you need a welder for? What do you want it to do?

toolmanmike

Check Northern tool and Tractor Supply they have Hobart welders which are made by Miller

Just wanted something to learn how to weld that was not expensive and didn't require me to have my garage rewired. The reviews recommended using Lincoln .30 wire instead of the wire that came with the welder.

Just wanted something to learn how to weld that was not expensive and didn't require me to have my garage rewired. The reviews recommended using Lincoln .30 wire instead of the wire that came with the welder.

welding with flux core is way different than a bottle feed welder... the welds wont ever look right...

Hobarts smaller welders are not too expensive and parts like tips and such are easy to get. Pull up TS on line.

I have a Hobart also. Been using it for years for bodywork. It will weld light to medium steel easy. Paid about $400. Flux welding isn't a good choice. The problem with flux is it makes the wire thicker than what you really want to weld with. And to get something hot enough to melt thick flux wire you need much more power. Save up, get a Hobart and enjoy it for years. Not only are the parts made by Miller, they say miller right on them :)

The reviews recommended using Lincoln .30 wire instead of the wire that came with the welder.[/QUOTE]
It depends what you're welding. If your'e welding up a trailer hitch then .030 wire is good. It takes more current and heat to melt it and the base metal. If you're tacking a patch panel on your 1/4 use .023 wire on a low setting so that you don't build up too much heat and warp the metal.

If the 110 volt welder is plugged into a common branch circuit with 20 amp breaker and there are other things on that circuit and or the outlet is far away from the breaker, the welders performance will suffer. It may trip the breaker too.
Then there is the splatter that others mentioned. A welder with gas works better. I think the gas/flame keeps the splatter captured or confined to a smaller field.

-
Back