Anybody remember Craig Powerplay?

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A while back I put an ad on Kijiji looking for an 8 track player. Specifically the one that can be removed from its mount and alternatively replaced by a cassette player of the same model. Well I just received my player. :D It is in very good condition. Now to find the matching cassette player! I had forgotten how heavy they are! It weighs 3 pounds! This just to show the younger generation what we had. This was likely the first attempt at theft prevention, much like removable CD faces today.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 964
Oh Yah...I had one! I even got one of the seperate power amps that plugged into it. I think those came out a few years later. Even had some Powerplay speakers I picked up used. They were probably what initiated the component car stereos.

I had one in a 75 Monza 2+2.

I remember them. A buddy of mine had that exact one mounted under the dash of his 76 D100. Real good sounding and lasting units.

I had a fellow contact me today because of this thread. He has a cassette and speakers in their original boxes! We are trying to work something out. But it got me looking around again and I came across this old ad from 1978. Wow, has it been that long?!

Attachments

• plattsburgh-press-republican-1978-june - 0575.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 656
Yes. It's been that long.

I had a fellow contact me today because of this thread. He has a cassette and speakers in their original boxes! We are trying to work something out. But it got me looking around again and I came across this old ad from 1978. Wow, has it been that long?!

Yep, we're getting old

I had a floor mount in my '74 RR, I can't tell you how many beers were spilled on it or over it. It was still playing when I sold the car 4 years later.

Had one in my '72 Duster. State of art at the time. Edgar Winters "Frankenstein" really sounded good through 4 speakers.

One of us got a Craig T681 in-dash AM/FM cassette with a whopping 24 watts for his Swinger. It caused the rear window to leak ! Then we all got them.
This was followed by the T688 with the silver face. Great machines. The AM radios always quit-working but who cared?
Those were fun days, making our own cassette tape mixes.

Hey TMM, I still have one of those floor-mount Craig 8-track players on a shelf in the garage. It was state-of-the-art for the day.
The last car it was in was my old '69 340 Swinger over 30 years ago. I bought it right after someone broke in and stole the underdash player.

Cool, Craig was some pert good stuff. I used to set out in my Dads truck and wear out my Kiss Live 8track. He just recently gave me the old player. Suprised me that he still had it, with mounting tray, papers, and box!

Attachments

• dodge brake and clutch fab. 020 (Small).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 549
Well I have it all now. Believe it or not, a fellow joined FABO and contacted me to tell me he had read this thread and had these tucked away and he would sell them to me. I don't think he has been back since. AgMiner sent me a note and we worked out a deal. He put these back in their original boxes way back when because the new car he bought had an in-dash cassette player. Now I have both players and even the old Powerplay speakers, and will be installing them in my Coronet, along with modern equipment. It's amazing that this deal actually transpired. What are the chances? Gotta love the internet!

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 550
-
Back