Anybody running a Hughes torque converter?

-

340_833 dart

Reaction score
If so, what is your opinion?
I'm looking at their Pro-Street TC. It is supposed to be a 3000 rpm stall.
I know actual stall depends on the engine.
If DeskTop Dyno can be believed, my 340 has around 420 horsepower and 400 ft lbs of torque.
The rear gears are 3.91s.
If not Hughes, does anybody have any recommendations for a TC on a mostly street-driven car?
Thanks.

A buddy of mine runs a Hughes converter in his 454 roller cammed truck. The converter was rated at 2000 stall but only stalls about 1800~1900 and that 454 is plenty torquey to make it stall what it should and then some. Just seems kinda tight. Other than that it seems to be holding up good as it's going on 4 hard yrs. now. BTW: I have also heard a couple other guys say the Hughes converters were tighter than rated.

I run a PTC in my Cuda and like it alot for a cheap converter. Got it from Cope Racing Trans. for $250 about 3 yrs. ago and honestly I didn't expect it to work nearly as good as it does considering the low price but it stalls right at 3k, which is what it's rated at, and is pretty efficient. Drives like a stock converter around town and when I hammer it it's gone.

only problem with 3000 stall....is it 3000 rpm behind a 440 or behind a 340...

alot of time that 3000 converter is only 2500 behind a small block

I run a PTC in my Cuda and like it alot for a cheap converter. Got it from Cope Racing Trans. for $250 about 3 yrs. ago and honestly I didn't expect it to work nearly as good as it does considering the low price but it stalls right at 3k, which is what it's rated at, and is pretty efficient. Drives like a stock converter around town and when I hammer it it's gone.

Is that their 11" converter?

Yep, Have 2 of them 3,000 locking. Put them behind a 250 ish HP and a 300 HP engines Both stalled at 2200 RPM. They are tight but do make a good street converter for the price.( about 300 bucks ) Hughes even made one of them with a small crank pilot ( early crank ) But with the later front pump internals at no extra charge. They were for the 904 trans.

Give Lenny at Ultimate Converter a call,he'll tell ya' exactely what you'll need build it for ya',and it will probably be the best converter you ever use...

-
Back