Anybody running these kind of Air Filters on a tunnelram

-

mopar65

Reaction score
Well I finally got the tunnelram installed in my 96 dakota race truck. I wanted to run volocity stacks, but don't have the room with my hood/scoop combo. I have a 5 inch tall mopar six pack scoop. Looks like I only have about 4-3/4 inches of room from the carb to the under side of the scoop. So I have been looking around for different air filters and found these interesting. But for close to $350 for two of them. I figured I better ask if anybody else have used them, before I spend that kind of money. Also my truck is race only if it matters.

Screenshot_20240421_101545_Photos.jpg

20240420_143450.jpg

20240419_210923.jpg

20240419_210815.jpg

No but they look to have enough room to fit them both on your tunnel ram.
Is your front carb level or proud of the fender?
You may want to try and make a card board version to see what you can do

No but they look to have enough room to fit them both on your tunnel ram.
Is your front carb level or proud of the fender?
You may want to try and make a card board version to see what you can do
Thanks for the advice. I havent measured it but I think the carbs are level. Good ideal on the cardboard.

Sorry I was more interested in the performance etc of the air filters. Guess I am just balking at the cost of them. Lol I just found some k&N 9 inch diameter 3.5 inch tall filters that would work. They are a lot cheaper. Lol that just seems like a crazey amount of money for a air filter.lol guess I am just being a tightwad. Lol

Sorry I was more interested in the performance etc of the air filters. Guess I am just balking at the cost of them. Lol I just found some k&N 9 inch diameter 3.5 inch tall filters that would work. They are a lot cheaper. Lol that just seems like a crazey amount of money for a air filter.lol guess I am just being a tightwad. Lol
That's a lot to spend if they don't fit

Screen can be a huge restriction. The area covered is more than you would think. I like to use a washable filter element. You want 1000cfm/carb to accomodate for maintenance intervals.

What is center to center measurement of the carbs? 9.5ish?

If the filters aren’t restricting, that velocity stack style should make a little more hp than conventional design. Engine Masters tested a bunch of filters and did see a difference. No direct experience with that one though.

Screen can be a huge restriction. The area covered is more than you would think. I like to use a washable filter element. You want 1000cfm/carb to accomodate for maintenance intervals.

What is center to center measurement of the carbs? 9.5ish?
Not sure I would have to measure it

A friend of mine is running one of them on his 440 because his M1 intake is too tall and a normal air cleaner won't fit under his hood. He paid extra for the two screens with the 1/4" foam. I was not impressed by the screens and filter. Not very robust. He doesn't even run the filter anymore. The stack and screens seems to flow pretty well, it just made 400 ft lbs on a chassis dyno.

1713718656031.jpeg

A friend of mine is running one of them on his 440 because his M1 intake is too tall and a normal air cleaner won't fit under his hood. He paid extra for the two screens with the 1/4" foam. I was not impressed by the screens and filter. Not very robust. He doesn't even run the filter anymore. The stack and screens seems to flow pretty well, it just made 400 ft lbs on a chassis dyno.

View attachment 1716239694
Thanks for the info. That's what I was worried about. Spend that much money and then end up just taking them off. Lol. I think I am just going to stick with the K&N filters for now. Lol

This setup looks a little cheaper if you’re wanting to try it out:
Chrome Velocity Stack Air Cleaner Set of Two fits 4 BBL Carburetors | eBay

I would agree that the filter and screen media may be restrictive. So, you could try pulling it to see if the velocity horns alone provide a benefit like they’re supposed to as far as funneling the air. Not sure since they’re sitting on a tunnel ram though?

This setup looks a little cheaper if you’re wanting to try it out:
Chrome Velocity Stack Air Cleaner Set of Two fits 4 BBL Carburetors | eBay

I would agree that the filter and screen media may be restrictive. So, you could try pulling it to see if the velocity horns alone provide a benefit like they’re supposed to as far as funneling the air. Not sure since they’re sitting on a tunnel ram though?
Wow thanks for the link. For some reason when I was searching for velocity stacks ,those never showed up. The add says they are 4.5 inches tall and I only have about 4-3/4 inches of clearances to the bottom of my hood scoop. I wonder if only having a 1/2 inch of clearance is going to cause a air flow problem? Does anybody know what the recommended distance should be?

Wow thanks for the link. For some reason when I was searching for velocity stacks ,those never showed up. The add says they are 4.5 inches tall and I only have about 4-3/4 inches of clearances to the bottom of my hood scoop. I wonder if only having a 1/2 inch of clearance is going to cause an air flow problem? Does anybody know what the recommended distance should be?
I don’t know, because I’ve never done it.

Here’s some math to consider/make a judgment call from though:
The air horns are 8.5” dia., which is approximately 26.7” circumference. At 0.5” clearance, that’s a surface area of roughly 13.3 sq. in. I don’t know your engine, but let’s say it’s a 408 that you shift at 7,000 rpm, and you happen to have 100% VE at that point. Then you’d be flowing ~830cfm, or 415 through each carburetor. 415cfm divided by 13.3 sq.in. is about 31.2 fpm velocity, 0.52 fps, across the revolved face area for each stack. That seems sufficient when just looking at the numbers, but again, I haven’t done it so I don’t actually know. Being as they’re in a scoop, you may draft air across that area so fast that it doesn’t like to make the turn down into the stacks?

Sounds like a “fork around and find out scenario”. But it’s your money, not mine.

Just a thought. I made a set of velocity stacks similar to the old max wedge and hemi cars. I only made them for MCAN show. Probably sell them if your interested. Spun aluminum base. Welded aluminum cross bar and stapled on screen. If you wanted to male your own, I could maybe find the parts again.

20221102_171638.jpg

Just a thought. I made a set of velocity stacks similar to the old max wedge and hemi cars. I only made them for MCAN show. Probably sell them if your interested. Spun aluminum base. Welded aluminum cross bar and stapled on screen. If you wanted to male your own, I could maybe find the parts again.

View attachment 1716239849
I would be interested in them. I will send you a pm

I run a pair of these short stacks form PJ Motorsports on my junk. Velocity Stacks For Hot Rods
Yes, you can make them yourself cheaper - but for me, there are tasks where I have more $$$ than time for!

View attachment 1716239969
Hey I recognize your engine. Lol I have a picture of it saved from Facebook. I got the ideal and made my post because of them. How do you like them? Have you ever raced with them on and off your engine?

-
Back