Anybody use a dash cap to fix their pad??

-
Reaction score
I'd like to fix my dash pad and I've seen these everywhere from ebay to Year One. Do they work well? Who sells a decent one at a decent price ( Y O was ok until they added $49.70 for shipping). I'm gonna be 16 on October 17th & with my part time income I need to watch every penny.
Oh ya, my interior is blue so I guess I'd have to paint a black one if I couldn't find blue.
Anybody got a pic of one in their car?
Thanks!

The caps work well. Have one on both cars. There's a guy on eBay that peddles these things in colors at a decent price. I've heard there are three companies that produce these things and they're all pretty decent. The cap kit includes an adhesive.

The directions for installation are OK. I recommend a stout piece of angle iron to fit inside of the pad and at least 6 C-clamps. When you put the adhesive on and have the pad in the right place, clamp it in place until the adhesive has cured well (about 2-3 days). I put one layer of a blanket between the angle iron and the cap to prevent scratching.

Attachments

• 9e2b_1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_5616s.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 358
there is one in my duster, it fools most people but at some point I will step up and spend the money to buy a new pad

there is one in my duster, it fools most people but at some point I will step up and spend the money to buy a new pad

X2 Have one on My Dart Have to look hard to tell but obvously feels different if you touch it.Eventually I will replace it with a new one.And eventually I might win the lottery too!

I am happy with mine, and am probably the only one the notices the line, between the cap and pad from the front. At least I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it.

I kept saying I was going to use a cap for the price but I just kept holding out for the real thing and I think it paid of in the end, dont cheap out on your car do it right the first time and check it off your list :cheers:

Attachments

• 100_0722 (2).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 100_0726.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 333
i had a dash cap on my e body cuda, i wish i just left it alone with the crack in it. the sun warped it something awful. then the cold cracked it in about 4 places. would have tried to take it off, but had to scuff the original dashpad and glue to install it. of course the ebody dashes pads are rather large and curvey which doesnt help things.

I have one in my 68 Cuda and it has been there since mid 2000 and has seen 65K+ miles. I daily drive it from March to the first time the roads are salted in the fall so it sits in the sun most days. It has not cracked, faded, warped or otherwise done anything to detract from its appearance.

Its not as soft to the touch or have quite the same grain as the orignal pad but I am the only one that has ever noticed.

I couldn't disagree more with mopardrt regarding cheaping out on your car by using one. Unless you are doing a concours restoration it is a perfectly acceptable alternative to having your stock pad redone. The several hundred you save can go towards other things in your car. And if you are careful and take your time no one will ever notice.

So where did everyone buy theirs? Is the guy on ebay that talks selling the good ones?

I have one and it looks like it... I will be taking it off and sending to just dash this winter. Its not terrible but its not good either. in the end its not correct.

I've used them on A, B, and E-Bodies and think they are a great alternative to spending big $$$ on a repro dash pad. I've mainly used ones from Accu-Form...

-
Back