Anybody use AAA to move engineless car before?

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
I am moving 4 miles away in two weeks and wondered if AAA would come out and flatbed the car to new home without questions? I pay for the enhanced towing (100 miles).

Hey Kevin, I cant see it being an issue...most tow calls they get are "car wont run". Only issue is if there arent any brakes on it??

I have done it, just told them it wouldn't start :)

the tow truck driver wont care, easiest AAA tow of the day for him

They may charge extra if you must have a flatbed. I requested a flatbed to tow vehicle I was towing when I was in an accident (no motor, brakes etc) and after the fact received a bill for the flatbed because I "requested it"

If it is towable either way, I'd make the call and hope a flatbed comes out.

I used CAA to tow a car I sold. Told them it was getting fixed at the garage I had it towed to. Maybe slip the driver a $20?

I have done it, just told them it wouldn't start :)

the tow truck driver wont care, easiest AAA tow of the day for him

X2 on driver won't care. All he knows is that he needs to move your car. I wouldn't even mention it, especially to the dispatch.

just had mine towed home because i destroyed the tires leaving a car show. called AAA and told em i was broke down need a tow. that was it.

2Q==

I'd go to U-Hual and rent a dolly and do it my dang self rather than go to triple A and in use there rath for BS! Less than $50 IIRC

I have free towing through AMA they dont ask question but a license plate may be needed.

I tried this a number of years ago. The first thing driver did was look to make sure car had a current licence sticker. It didn't. I paid for the tow. Perhaps a new licence sticker is cheaper than paying for a tow?

I worked for AAA for many years. Depends on the driver but if the car does not have current registration they are not supposed to tow it. You can move it however if you get a moving permit from the DMV. It doesn't matter if its a flatbed or not and there is no cost extra for a flatbed that's bullshit. Just be cool to the driver and a little cash might do the trick if the car is not registered. Or better yet pull the plates off your everyday driver and slap them on that car. They don't check license numbers.

flatbed is not extra charge, but you have to call ahead and schedule flat bed. depending on where you are located drivers differ. i have had same car towed twice in 2 weeks. 1st) bought the car with no motor no trans,, towed 5 miles to friends shop put a motor n trans in.
2nd) towing car to my house from shop, driver says i cant tow this its not registered. tip driver, no problem sir lets get it loaded up.

also on another ocasion i said the bumper is in the chrome shop, its registered. no problem.
so yes AAA rules say they wont tow it, but drivers dont work for AAA, they contracted out. just tip the driver.

I tried this a number of years ago. The first thing driver did was look to make sure car had a current licence sticker. It didn't. I paid for the tow. Perhaps a new licence sticker is cheaper than paying for a tow?

Put the plate off of one of your other vehicles on it until it is towed, then switch it back.
:D

This is where antique plates come in handy. No yearly inspection or registration required.

Unfortunately some states limit your driving with those plates.

In Michigan you can actually be ticketed if your out just joy riding with antique plates. I have not heard of someone getting nailed, but when I looked into it that is what I was told by the SOS.

I don't know if I would switch plates, big time fine if caught(could law enforcement check plates on a vehicle being towed on a flatbed?) I have AMA roadside assistance and the waterpump went out on my pickup about 30 miles from home, called and asked if they would tow it to my house, they told me no, just to the nearest repair shop. If it was me I would just hook a chain to it and tow it if it was just 4 miles, but then again I live in the sticks where I can do that. When I junked out my Duster I towed it with a chain about 20 miles to a junkyard. My dad drove the pickup and I steered and used the brakes in the Duster.

how far will AAA tow it ?
im thinking of buying a car located in CA and it needs to make its way back to MI

I worked for AAA for many years. Depends on the driver but if the car does not have current registration they are not supposed to tow it. You can move it however if you get a moving permit from the DMV. It doesn't matter if its a flatbed or not and there is no cost extra for a flatbed that's bullshit. Just be cool to the driver and a little cash might do the trick if the car is not registered. Or better yet pull the plates off your everyday driver and slap them on that car. They don't check license numbers.

flatbed is not extra charge, but you have to call ahead and schedule flat bed. depending on where you are located drivers differ. i have had same car towed twice in 2 weeks. 1st) bought the car with no motor no trans,, towed 5 miles to friends shop put a motor n trans in.
2nd) towing car to my house from shop, driver says i cant tow this its not registered. tip driver, no problem sir lets get it loaded up.

also on another ocasion i said the bumper is in the chrome shop, its registered. no problem.
so yes AAA rules say they wont tow it, but drivers dont work for AAA, they contracted out. just tip the driver.

AS a part time driver for a contract station, these are both the best ideas. Im not to sure how other companies work, but if a car dosent have current tags I would put it on a flatbed and be fine with that, California law (I believe) only requires current tags if it has any part of the vehicle rolling on the ground. I used to do this full time, an even owned my own companies, so you could say I have been doing this for awhile.

You are right about stupid Cali law. With AAA basic membership its 5 miles, for AAA plus its 100 miles and aparently they have this platinum membership now which goes 200 miles or some chit like that. I use to like towing back in the day. We use to have fun doing it, now its so controlled by the Chp that it really sucks. My best friend has been running a Aaa contract company for 20 years and he constantly tells me how bad it sucks

I talked to a AAA driver while he was hooking another dead car the other day. I asked about towing engineless car and even though it was not his area, he said AAA would not tow it. I just want to verify that even though AAA says no, The driver might be ok with it with a cash incentive? I know some said they would with a cash tip, but is this recent experience with AAA? Remember this is Kalifornia...

the aaa guy's will tow anything here, and the all use a flatbed, unless you need pulled out of a ditch, field ,ect. I've had several cars towed home by them.

-
Back