Anybody wanna play "Name That Car"???

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
This was found in the outdoor storage section where we have a storage unit. Can anybody figure out what it is? There is very little badging on it, and most of the trim has been removed. There are several people here who are masters at this game, so I want to see if my faith in their abilities is properly placed. You know who you are...

2016-06-01 17.01.54.jpg

2016-06-01 17.01.46.jpg

I think it's a '53 Packard, don't know that model, maybe Patrician?

Wow. That really didn't take long at all, although I'm pretty sure it's closer to a 51 Patrician 400. The lights to the outside of the grille were smaller, and had a cross-hair shape outside of them in '51, but in '53 the lights were filled out and there were no cross-hairs...

For being in the rust belt, it's really not in bad shape at all. I'm considering talking to the owner of the storage yard (my wife's cousin) and seeing if it is his, or a customer's.

I am working on my 90 Ranger, I am battling rust myself. I am not sure how the 50's cars survive in the rust belt, I have to think the metal is thicker/heavier. Maybe the paint was better too. Its not uncommon to see early 50's pickups stilla round as well as cars. Most are redone of course, but they are around after almost 70 years.

if it is a 51,someone has shaved the P A C K A R D off the hood...
I believe the man with the 53 call is correct, the holes where the rear fender trim has been removed call it out as a Patrician..distinction from a 51 nose shot is the badge that is part of the grille..someone has helped themselves to the cormorant also

my 51 Packard

1951 Henney Pacaard.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the man with the 53 call is correct, the holes where the rear fender trim has been removed call it out as a Patrician..distinction from a 51 nose shot is the badge that is part of the grille..someone has helped themselves to the cormorant also

my 51 Packard

View attachment 1714939648

You're right, and I hadn't noticed that. '51 Packard's didn't have the emblem embedded in the front grille. That was a '52 feature. Found a video online of a '52, and I think this one is much closer to the one I saw:

I am working on my 90 Ranger, I am battling rust myself. I am not sure how the 50's cars survive in the rust belt, I have to think the metal is thicker/heavier. Maybe the paint was better too. Its not uncommon to see early 50's pickups stilla round as well as cars. Most are redone of course, but they are around after almost 70 years.

You've got a 90 Ranger, huh? That's my red '92 in the background. How long you had yours?

You've got a 90 Ranger, huh? That's my red '92 in the background. How long you had yours?
Since 2004, its a good truck and the 4X4 still works, it has the factory lift with 31's on it, short wheelbase. But it sits outside so the weather is taking its toll. I'm doing the rear leaf springs and shackles/brackets now, and then will patch up the rust spots on the body. Its taking time away from my MOpAR though LOL!

the Citroen is also a love it or hate body style....the ones with the Maserati engines were all the rage back in the day and well, still yet. Friend of mine has one of these cars...lots of unique features in their design. Strange to see the rear fender off the car when changing the rear wheel..

my 51 Packard

View attachment 1714939648

Never before have I seen a car dwarf a full size b van. Respect, sir. That is truly impressive in both length and girth. Congratulations.

To add to the mystery, one article mentioned Packard came out with a midyear "1952 1/2" model, maybe this is one of those....

the Citroen is also a love it or hate body style....the ones with the Maserati engines were all the rage back in the day and well, still yet. Friend of mine has one of these cars...lots of unique features in their design. Strange to see the rear fender off the car when changing the rear wheel..
I remember one being used in the Green Beret with John Wayne and wondering how the heck he got in the thing.....

while the mystery of the 51 with the 52 grill as a concept car, it still had the PACKARD letters across the front of the hood...a 1951 feature missing in the OP pictures...I have seen this article and cannot comment on the authenticity. The owner of this car bought the car some 30+ years into its life...what paint or body panel/trim could not have been intermingled due to a fender bender ...odds things were done in the past due to parts availability and desire to keep the model on the road..in the article the first thing you read is the disclaimer, "believed to be"

my disclaimer, I am not a Packard authority...just wanted a hearse that was not GM based..I see you a John's Island resident...I lived in Chas. area some 27 years

Found this in a trailer on the property that my buddy is buying! Could be mine if I want it!! Any guesses!!

image.jpg

-
Back