Anyone else going through trailer tires this summer?

-
In my years of towing across the country I been pulled over in NV and TX just because I was in an out of state 1-ton with a trailer and both did a road side inspection.
Texas is doing away with yearly vehicle inspections next year but I don't know if that will include trailers.

Been running load range E. Will look at load range F or G next time and a different brand. Is there any advantage to running a wider tire? Currently using 225.

Dollar for dollar if you can move up to a 16 inch tire do so. I did so but I did it when I ordered a new trailer.

When I bought my new Texas Rollback Trailer in 2008 it came with Carlisle tires. Fast forward to 2023, they are still going strong. I know I need to change them but just have gotten around to it yet. All these horror stories have me worried about the future.

IMG_5417.jpeg

Not sure what I'm in for. I ordered my new 24' enclosed trailer with Dexter 6000# spring axles. That got me 8-bolt wheels and ST235/85R16 Goodyear Endurance tires - load range E. Got it in June.

The trailer has already made 1 round trip from Detroit to Florida - has several more to go!
20230609_160435.jpg

Load range G's has worked out well for me thus far. The E's that came on the trailer let go within 2yrs. and probably less than 3k miles.

When I bought my new Texas Rollback Trailer in 2008 it came with Carlisle tires. Fast forward to 2023, they are still going strong. I know I need to change them but just have gotten around to it yet. All these horror stories have me worried about the future.

View attachment 1716142014

I’m going to be the first to say an open trailer is a completely different story because of weight. Heck on my first and maybe second open trailer I ran 20.00 mobile home tires

The number one cause of tire failure is too low air pressure.
Go by the DOT date code not when you bought them.
Do not exceed the legal speed limit for towing. 55mph max. High speeds generate more heat and if you get a flat the vehicle stability is harder to control.
If available have the tires inflated with Nitrogen. It is a dry gas, larger molecule.
Maintains pressure longer and retards internal tire/wheel corrosion.
Always check the pressure and your valve stems before each trip. Inspect the back side of the tires as well.
Use a mirror if unable to see easily.
Tires can pick up damage from objects on the roads on both sides of the tire, not just the side you can easily see.
Replace tires by time as the rubber compounds degrade and harden losing flexibility with age.
Just like coolant hoses, the liner usually fails first.
Tires are cheaper than accidents, trailer/car damage and lives.
If you buy tires before you need them, the most can can lose is some money.
If you buy them after you needed them....

The number one cause of tire failure is too low air pressure.
Go by the DOT date code not when you bought them.
Do not exceed the legal speed limit for towing. 55mph max. High speeds generate more heat and if you get a flat the vehicle stability is harder to control.
If available have the tires inflated with Nitrogen. It is a dry gas, larger molecule.
Maintains pressure longer and retards internal tire/wheel corrosion.
Always check the pressure and your valve stems before each trip. Inspect the back side of the tires as well.
Use a mirror if unable to see easily.
Tires can pick up damage from objects on the roads on both sides of the tire, not just the side you can easily see.
Replace tires by time as the rubber compounds degrade and harden losing flexibility with age.
Just like coolant hoses, the liner usually fails first.
Tires are cheaper than accidents, trailer/car damage and lives.
If you buy tires before you need them, the most can can lose is some money.
If you buy them after you needed them....

Bull crap. 55 mph my azz around here and you will end up in a ditch. If the tires call for 80 run 5-10 pounds over that.

My tires call for 80psi so that's what I run. I check tire temp at each stop. In my 1st trip, to Florida in June, we had 95-100 deg ambients in Florida. Tires were running right around 115-125 driving right at 70mph. Figured that was decent given the road surface was probably mighty toasty.

My towmasters are speed rated “M“…. 81mph. We tow 65-70 even on the hottest of days. Even when we leave America (go to CA) we maintain that speed despite their STUPID 55 mph with trailer BS…. apparently everyone on the I40 also believes as I do. :)

Old saying "speed kills." Just giving common sense advice to people that want it.
All speed rated tires are rated for speeds of 70 + mph to over 160 mph. That is a rating, not a recommendation. And just an FYI, a repaired tire has no speed rating and you cars safety is only as good as your lowest rated tire/parts.
I have driven a car a stupid speeds too. I later realised my folly and changed my ways.
High speeds are for a closed circuit trak setting where the condition of the track surface, possible road debris, obstructions are monitored before each run or lap. Not so on public roads. You never know what you may encounter and the higher your speed the longer it takes to respond/evade or stop before something happens.

I went into the tire business in 1973. Retired in 2008.
Participated in the 2 largest tire recalls in US history.
The Last one as a Bridgestone/Firestone tire store manager and I was as a store manager privy to a LOT of tire information as well as my store replacing 1,000's of recall tires.
We (Bridgestone/Firestone Inc.) accumulated a lot of tire data from around the country.
Recording tires pressures on all 5 tires on millions of vehicles.
Tread depths, wear patterns, road damage, punctures, improper tire repairs. Poor vehicle maintenance, mis-alignment/worn/broken suspension parts.
The faster you go, the more deadly the results from accidents, no matter what causes them.
You not only risk yourself and family, but everyone else on the road as well.
Buckle up and watch your speeds. By slowing down you just take a little longer to get to your destination. Small price to pay for safety.
I watch the truckers going to speed limit here in California in the trucks lanes, and then the guys in a hurry cutting in and out of traffic. At the end, they either get there just a few minutes sooner or at the same time.
Steady gets you there, and with much less drama and stress.
Good luck with everyones trips. God be with you.

Last edited:
That's a California thing. They need to get rid of their stupid split speed limit law.

Our roads in Pa are 65-70mph. If I went 55mph I’m a danger to everyone. If I would hit these hills with a 10,000 pound motorhome and 9000 pound trailer at 55mph I would be 45mph at the top. 18 wheelers would be ramming me in the azz as those guys are going at least 70-80mph.

My wife's cousin was going through them hand over fist until I told him to get heavy duty bias ply sho nuff trailer tires. Now he's had the same set for like three years and they're still going strong.

I blew an open trailer tire while hauling my avatar Barracuda 250 miles to new house back in 2015. Had no spare, no jack, nothing. Was stuck on I-64 in middle of nowhere in VA for 3 hrs or so. No one stopped to help except a state trooper who promptly looked at my inspection sticker. Brother/father traveled a considerable distance to bring me a new wheel. I somehow escaped the insanity of it all. If you do nothing else, have a spare tire, tools and jack with you. Don't be a dumbass like me. : )

Our roads in Pa are 65-70mph. If I went 55mph I’m a danger to everyone. If I would hit these hills with a 10,000 pound motorhome and 9000 pound trailer at 55mph I would be 45mph at the top. 18 wheelers would be ramming me in the azz as those guys are going at least 70-80mph.
I did the PA Turnpike weighting in at around 14,000 for 10 years. Know those "hills" well.

My wife's cousin was going through them hand over fist until I told him to get heavy duty bias ply sho nuff trailer tires. Now he's had the same set for like three years and they're still going strong.
I get a lot more miles out of bias ply versa radials.
I now just have a 18' open car hauler w/ two 3500# axles and a small 12' w/ one 3500# axle. I had a 40' open w/ two 7000# that was a real heavy trailer. I ran F rated tires and it would still go threw them. I carried two spares on long trips with that pig. Back in my contracting days I had a few equipment trailers.

Now you know why there are laws. They should be consistent from state to state. That way no matter where you go, everyone knows the laws and limits. Just like most other laws inconsistency is always a problem.
Perfect example are guns laws.
Everyone just wants to do what they want because they can.
You are not the only person "sharing" the road.

I get a lot more miles out of bias ply versa radials.
I now just have a 18' open car hauler w/ two 3500# axles and a small 12' w/ one 3500# axle. I had a 40' open w/ two 7000# that was a real heavy trailer. I ran F rated tires and it would still go threw them. I carried two spares on long trips with that pig. Back in my contracting days I had a few equipment trailers.
I've had the best luck with bias ply tires in heavy duty trailer applications, as well as everyone I know. I believe it's because the radials squat too much, over heat and come apart. The bias ply heavy duty trailer tires have much thicker and reinforced sidewalls and are a lot stiffer and tend to not squat nearly as bad. That's been my experience and that of a lot of people I know.

Up here in Canada it against the law to run non trailer tires on a trailer. There is zero insurance if you’re in an accident to your trailer whether or not it’s your fault. Kim

-
Back