Anyone Else Reek Like Their Car?

-

JTG

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else smell like their car after you've been out driving it awhile. Everytime I come home from driving my 68 Cuda my wife tells me I smell like gas or exhaust fumes, I really don't notice it. Is this just the norm because the car has zero emissions on it. The headers and the entire exhaust system on my car is brand spanking new, right to the back bumper.

I do after i drive my 66 open crankcase breathers do it,i don't mind it cause i'm a car guy.

I get told that I stink of pine air fresheners !!! That's all there was back in the day and I still love the smell today

plus- if your trunk seals arent sealing well- it can come in through there.

When I get home from a drive my wife says the whole house smells like Barracuda fumes.

I just laugh and say "Thems aint fumes...thats fish breath!".

:cheers:

I love the smell. Especially walking into the garage after a drive and smelling all the various warm car smells.

Best smell in the word...aside from.......oh wait....have to keep it PG. :)

plus- if your trunk seals arent sealing well- it can come in through there.

John, this is now starting to make sense, trunk seal has not been installed yet and the car gets warm up for a couple of minutes on choke in the garage with the *** near the back wall and also is backed into the garage upon return. I just wasn't thinking that it would creep its way up front to me, its funny I don't smell it or anything off my clothes either, but the wife makes me take off all my clothes when entering the house(maybe this is a good thing)

Wife said mine smells like farts.

Tony, I think my preference is still to smell like an exhaust pipe then a fart, what is your Cuda running on propane, lol.

I get the same thing in the Duster. Tubes on the breathers is the culprit I would say.

Mines a convertible and I get the same thing. I have a new exhast too and the pipes turn down past the rear valence. It just passed the emission sniffer. I don't remember the car being like that when it was new???

well my barracuda dont stink to bad its been setting 6 yaers bud whaen im driving it in the yard my gf tells me . u smell like a barracuda

I used to have an e-body and yes, you could smell the fumes on your clothes when you were done driving it and your your eyes would be blood shot!

I hope not cuz my Dart reeeks like mold,lol... Seriously,I had to Lysol the sumbitch!

It's all fine though because the moldy headliner is coming out soon.:glasses7:

I used to have an e-body and yes, you could smell the fumes on your clothes when you were done driving it and your your eyes would be blood shot!

My '73 Cuda was the same. I never did figure out how the fumes were getting in the car.

Nobody has ever really told me I smell like my car but I have inhaled so much gasoline fumes (burned or otherwise) driving and working on my Duster that it's now part of my DNA... people have told me the inside of my duster smells like gas and 'Grandma's old couch' LOL

John, this is now starting to make sense, trunk seal has not been installed yet and the car gets warm up for a couple of minutes on choke in the garage with the *** near the back wall and also is backed into the garage upon return................................

It doesn't only "get fumes" from your garage, it does it going down the road!!! No trunk seals ---the rear of the car creates a vacuum, and will suck exhaust right into the trunk.

Station wagon / van owners have known this for years. Running a Jeep/ landcruiser with a leaky rear top does it really bad.

Tell meabout it. We had a little Nissan Micra for a while,it had a hatch back. One day in order to bring a large item homw we drove with the hatch open for about 75 miles or so. YUCK! Had a friggin headache after..

-
Back