Anyone esle try this?

-
It's all a waste of time. For $70 you can get a plastic cover that looks like the real deal, they're great! They just go right over the old cracked dash and until you press on it, they look like a padded dash.

Seriously, $70 and you're good to go.

This place has them, or try ebay. http://moparsbycrane.com/?mainURL=/store/category/62m4/Dash_Covers.html

Wow thx for those encouraging words! LMAO Nah I wanted the smooth look. I have sanded the "grain" outta' my console aswell. Its what I was going for. Not only that Id rather spend 35.00 in supplies and my time, to get the satisfaction of knowing I did it and it was half the cost of even the cheapest route.

looks great man. i started on mine today and went with the spray foam. i plan on mateing my motor gauges into the top of it. you had a great idea and did it and it came out looking great. i mated a 68 hood with my 69 hood ( needed the hump lol) got a lil more work to do but its looking good to me. keep up the good work.:read2:

Ya, I'm sorry. I do have to admit 4mulaSvaliant, your dash pad does look amazing!

Wow, that looks really good. Yea, anybody can go buy a new pad or cover, but to fix a rough one like yours at a low cost is awesome! I like the smooth look too, nice work 4mulaSvaliant! :cheers:

Looking really good 4mula, you can reduce the amount of clogging you`re experiencing with your sandpaper by wiping down your body filler with lacquer thinner. Excellent job!

that link is the dash link lol. repost the gauge link lol

LOL I fixed the above link, it is correct now.

Thx for all the comments guys. LG thx for the tip on the sand paper clogging. I think I have heard that before but didnt think to do it. Hell I only had Acytone anyhow. Is there enough od a difference to make an issue? Hmmm?

Sure bust his chops because he could have put a plastic cover on cheaper. But it's fun to experiment. And frankly Just Dashes wanted about $2250 to redo my dash for my '69 Chrysler! I got lucky and found a good one on eBay, and with two '69 Chryslers I am always scoping dashes. But it good to know that this will work! It's like an ace up my sleve if I see a crack showing up. And truthfully I think it opens up all sorts of options. Thanks.

LOL I fixed the above link, it is correct now.

Thx for all the comments guys. LG thx for the tip on the sand paper clogging. I think I have heard that before but didnt think to do it. Hell I only had Acytone anyhow. Is there enough od a difference to make an issue? Hmmm?
4mulaS, There is a difference between Lacquer thinner and Acetone. The acetone will attack fiberglass resin (use acetone to clean tools up after resin). You've done a great job on the dash pad, hate to see you soften it all up with the wrong chemical.

Hope it'll be OK, its done now! LOL I think it will be ok, I only used a little on a rag to wipe it down and it was hot too, so it evaperated quickly. Thx for the info though.

The dash for the Chrysler is about 10" longer and is a full wrap around dash. It's a BIG dash but when I was quoted the price I laughed out loud. For what that's worth TriCity Plateing wanted $5000 to rechrome (albeit triple chrome) for the front bumper. So, between the dash and the bumper I was already looking at $7000. So I was VERY happy to get a good used one from a yard for $50! Every time I see a good one I grab my tools! Constanly checking eBay too.

A-body cars are a lot easier to find parts for, and the prices seem to be a little less insane than C-body stuff. Not a big after market for us on that side of the tracks.

But the next time I see one in a yard that I may have passed on because it was badly stained or had some minor flaws, I may grab it anyway and try the fiberglass method.

When you glassed your dashpad, did you just use fiberglass resin or did you you use actual fiberglass cloth as well?

I used the cloth aswell. I only have 2 layers on it. I have put it in my car and I am trying a "heat" test, in an attempt to see how it will hold up. Ill let you guys know what the results are.

Ok so here is the scoop. Well I have had plenty of HOT!!!!!!! days that have tested my dash pad. The results are that in the heat it is actually beautiful, its when it cools down that the original crack indentations are noticable. It seems that I can easily solve that issue by using that "tiger hair" filler. Im guessing it will be strong enough that it wont allow the "flex" that the 2 layers of matt are allowing. I know it was mentioned to use that stuff to go right over the pad, and if I were to do this again I would probley go that route. Ill post some pics of Hot and Cold days for you all to look at. I will also be leaving it in for the rest of summer but Ill remove it this winter and make it better.
:-DLata'

Ok so here is the scoop. Well I have had plenty of HOT!!!!!!! days that have tested my dash pad. The results are that in the heat it is actually beautiful, its when it cools down that the original crack indentations are noticable. It seems that I can easily solve that issue by using that "tiger hair" filler. Im guessing it will be strong enough that it wont allow the "flex" that the 2 layers of matt are allowing. I know it was mentioned to use that stuff to go right over the pad, and if I were to do this again I would probley go that route. Ill post some pics of Hot and Cold days for you all to look at. I will also be leaving it in for the rest of summer but Ill remove it this winter and make it better.
:-DLata'

Fluctuations in inside car temperatures can be extreme, I can see how that could be.

-
Back