Anyone ever chopped the top on an A-Body?

-
Not quite the same thing, color me crazy, but I've always wanted to take my donor '64 Barracuda, minus the rear window, cut the support beam (at the bottom of the rear window) and put it back in upside down. Thus creating an El-cuda. :dontknow:

I wished i had taken pics of a basketcase 65 cuda that I had. Cut off the roof, except for the "targa bar" and with no back window it was cool looking. If you want an el cuda, get a 65 australian UTE! That's what they are!

That car was just beggin for more photochopping... I use photoshop 7.0 as well. I had fun playin with this one...

DartSportWagginSpecial2.jpg

It's a lot of work, what do you plan on doing for front/back glass?

Section the suspension up into the chassis, tuck up everything and the car will look almost chopped. Standing next to my car it looks way chopped. The dang thing looks like it sits on the ground.

Huge amount of work to chop one....and then there is the issue of all the glass that needs to be cut. Chopping 20s thru early 50s cars -yes.
Anything newer-NO! Ever seen a chopped 57 Chevy?? It throws the proportions of the body all off.

I had a 57 Chev shorty wagon, it looked pretty cool, there was another on that I used to see at the local car shows that had the top chopped, it made the fenders and rest of the body look really fat, I thought it looked terrible. Also, a friend of mine owned a glass shop and did a lot of custom stuff, he said it was a pain cutting windshields for chopped cars, IIRC, he said they are pre-stressed at the factory and when you cut into them, they can crack just sitting there.... you would have the same issue on the rear window, then also have to modify door and side glass if you change the angle on those.... or you wqill end up lengthening the top....

-
Back