Anyone ever have a freeze plug pop out??

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
440, unknown age of last rebuild but my back yard build did not include new freeze plugs.

Finally got the Lokar trans cable working great and suddenly I see a huge trail behind me.

Coming from passenger side freeze plug area but header is in the way so cannot 100% confirm.

Weird...

I have to wait until the engine rain stops and it cools off to have a better look to see if its gone or just leaking... I can see a glop of sealant hanging below the header from there so that is why I am leaning toward lost one but I will report back...

So jacked it up and had a look. Its the one that doubles as the block heater at one time, seems to me whoever rebuilt the engine re used it and used new sealant because it half blown out and there is a ton of sealant that is for sure not from '74.

Anyway, lesson learned on a huge oversight on my part.

The Schumachers come out easy enough so I will be able to get it with engine in.

Something new to learn this week.

440, unknown age of last rebuild but my back yard build did not include new freeze plugs.

Finally got the Lokar trans cable working great and suddenly I see a huge trail behind me.

Coming from passenger side freeze plug area but header is in the way so cannot 100% confirm.

Weird...
Pop out? Yes. On my Super Bee. I was a half mile from the shop so I just drove it there. Damn those 383's are tough. Not much coolant left. I screwed in one of the expandable rubber ones. I wonder if it's still in there. LMAO

I did, twice, same plug cause I didn’t know what I was doing. You need the special tool to pound them in. I used a socket, pounding on the center of the plug. You need to pound on the top rim or it will collapse the sides of the plug and not have enough press fit to stay in no matter what you try to goop it up with cause I used permetex and that didn’t hold it in. It was a plug behind the flywheel and engine/trans had to come out 3 times, clutch and flywheel off.

Yeah I learned the hard way, buy and use the tool.

What tool. Lol. I’ve used a socket for so long I’ll never switch. Unless maybe I start using my lathe.

I’ve only used a socket too, I did use a seal tool to axle seals in rear ends.

@ch1ll post a picture or link of that tool you used to install the freeze plug.

The "shallow", "thick" plugs can pop out if they're not square in the bore.
I don't like those plugs.
The deep thin plugs are much less likely to do that.

I don't use any sealant on brass plugs normally.
If I felt the need, I'd use something like copper coat.

I've used an appropriately sized socket for over 30 years.

I use a socket as well. Although I do put a light coat of RTV on them. I prefer the deep flange plugs too.

It’s not common but it does happen. On the 4 cylinder Ford Blocked Cosworth motors, my bother drills and taps for 2 8/32 screws with washers per soft plug so a 20-25 psi cap can be used with blowing them out.

I sure love the screw in soft plugs in my Keith Black block but for sure you couldn’t call them “freeze plugs”. Lol.

The only plug I've ever seen pop out was due to antifreeze failure and a hard freeze. Thus plug did as designed. Pressed new one in. Crossed fingers that block didn't crack. And got lucky.

From my understanding that 383 is still running out there.

I've known of boosted combustion sneaking by head gaskets and blowing out plugs before. Scary stuff!

I personally as a drag racer don’t like the brass plugs. Like someone mentioned earlier I prefer the deeper steel plugs.

I personally as a drag racer don’t like the brass plugs. Like someone mentioned earlier I prefer the deeper steel plugs.
I agree. The brass ones I think are easier to work. And I have more trust on street car that may experience cold weather.

My drag car(s) are drained well before any freezing temps for cold storage.

The correct name for them is core plugs. They were never designed to pop out to keep a block from cracking.

-
Back