Anyone ever seen a factory 4-speed console in a 70-71 A-Body

-
According to the fender tag, this car didn't come equipped with a console from the factory.
It would have had C16 on it.
And to prove this further, it wasn't even a 4 speed car originally, it was a D13 3 speed floor shift 340 car.
And 3 speed cars never came with consoles anyway.
To me, the console looks like a modified automatic one, and the pistol grip is not legit anyway.
Nice car built to the owner's tastes, but not an example of a real 4 speed console car...
I use to own this nice 340 Duster . Console was in it when I got it ,been added ,I added the P. G. shifter . I never seen a 70 71 4 spd with a console either . Was a factory standard 3 spd ,had a 4 speed in it . I changed it to a good one other one was noisy. I rebuilt the engine ,kept the engine factory looking ,(which I don't do normally), also changed the center caps to the ones I liked better.I did quite a bit more improvements (see list) also I the way I wanted it to be and look.Won Best Engine first show out at a NMCA (chevy mainly )show- race .Seller said what it has, not that it was 100% factory .

nats 08 070.jpg

The first picture the console closest is from a 71 Demon. Look close lock button hole is there . I removed it and the mounts were in the car from factory. The console in the back is from and automatic AC car with a 4 speed top plate. Note the front of the console cut from the factory for the AC. I removed that top plate years ago out of a 2 tag plum crazy Duster The base was from a 68 GTs with AC. Note the switch in the console ? from the GTS. Might someone know what that switch was for. Think on that one.

One thing I can tell you is just when you think you have mopar figured out . Something pops up that blows your mind. That is why I never listen to those that say it never existed. I was proven wrong several times

If you look close at the last picture you'll see a console shifter with a wood grain ball behind the white ball. Follow it down to the shifter and note the 71 bolt on console handle which started in 71 only.

Have fun with these photos. They were taken many years ago. Do I still Have them? No sold to a member on this site who begged me for them and paid up very well in person with a stack of green. He also bought the 67 4 speed console top plate with a console mounted tach.

I sold them because I am using a factory floor mount cassette and a buddy seat in my one Demon . And a Hurst quarter stick in the other.

Picture 054.jpg

Picture 038.jpg

Picture 043.jpg

Picture 048.jpg

Picture 049.jpg

steve 310.jpg

All I am interested in is seeing a FACTORY set-up with fender tag from that car. I have seen thousands of A-Body's over the last 44 years and was a national Mopar show judge for 30 years and have NEVER seen a factory 70-71 A-Body with a 4-speed console. My question is, why are there part numbers and pictures in the 70-71 parts manual if it was not available?

70 four speed console.jpg

Too cheap to change the artwork.

Those parts books are typeset and printed before the 70 cars ever start production. May have been a thought to have a 70 console/4 speed A body, then got pulled.

Y’all are a wealth of knowledge. I have always wanted a console 4 speed, they look killer. It’s too bad Mopar didn’t offer them in the later cars. The Hang 10 Dart Sport would have been cool with its red console.

Too cheap to change the artwork.

Those parts books are typeset and printed before the 70 cars ever start production. May have been a thought to have a 70 console/4 speed A body, then got pulled.
My parts manual says printed in January 1971, but I am sure they didn't change too many things, maybe just additions...

My parts manual says printed in January 1971, but I am sure they didn't change too many things, maybe just additions...

I think it’s an error or item that got pulled from production but left in parts book. Those two front plates are the 67-68 style with black indent stripe on them. While the lid has the 70-71 woodgrain.

I think there are other accounts of parts listed in catalog that never ended up on production car.

It's important to not think of printing like the instantaneous printing we do today. Lead time on this would probably be a year. All typesetting and mockup was done by hand for each page. Adding or removing a paragraph was not a simple matter of reflowing text to the next page. Each page mockup was burned onto a metal plate, and the press would run as many as requested by the customer. Then of course all pages were collated, bound and shipped. Hence why supplemental tsb manuals were printed (eg. 67 Barracuda) that were not available when the Plymouth book went to press.
For example one three of my 86 Laser manuals has a section on the back for the ATC automatic temperature control option for the heat/AC system which became optional for 87 models.

Grant

-
Back