anyone ever seen?......

-

Cumiford

Reaction score
A pic or the real thing. Of a 1958 chrysler 300-d "with" fuel injection?

Ive never seen it and are assumedly rare.

I know the speedo went all the way to 160 mph that year, I have never seen a fuel injection, but mother mopar did some cool stuff back in the day.

I thought they were all recalled and carbed?

"....Richard Kollins wrote: “My late father Michael J. Kollins was a service engineer at Chrysler’s Jefferson Avenue plant. He supervised the 1958 300 fuel injection conversion to carbs. All but one were converted, the remaining one was allegedly totaled. That car is claimed to be in existence now...”

Pishta, You are correct,But some may have not been retrofitted to carbs.My guess was some of them worked just fine,Owners may have chosen not to bother and take them back for the recall.

The wild part,Bendix did,the R & D,didn't sort out.The patents,sold to Bosch. You are driving the latest generation of it ,now. In 75/76 ,Bosch figured out the O2 sensor.

Ive been reading through my roughly 250 page mopar muscle book. Saw the info but they only ahowed a pic of the carbed car. Wanted to see the f.i. setup. Bendix system looks very complex.

Ita funny how all the big horsepower cars now are all technically small blocks but are all big block weight. Sure the advances in technology are great but power to weight they are no further along than they were in the 60s.

There was an article on the one FI'd car in MA a while back. IIRC, it had been converted to carb, but the mechanic took the FI system home and somehow the two got reunited.

as another person here on FABO said: Mother mopar did some cool stuff back in the day.

She sure did, she hired Zora Argus Duntov, the father of the Corvette. Check out his credentials when you want to learn something :)

1958 De Soto
1.jpg

2.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

8.jpg

Pretty cool, My uncle had a 58 Desoto but it did not have the fuel injection. Wish it would have...wish I could say I'd even seen one of those cars. That is some sweet information.

-
Back