Anyone gone cross-country on Route 66?

-

danielb927

Reaction score
Hi all - been a long time since I posted anything, haven't had much time to work on the Duster in a year or two but I always appreciated all of the help here when I was in the middle of a project or two.

I'm thinking of taking a cruise from around St. Louis to San Francisco - out on Route 66 and then up the Pacific Coast Highway - in my 1973 Duster. I'm moving from Illinois out to the bay area, so I had the thought to just combine the move with a big road trip on the way out. I'm thinking 10 days, which I know is a lot faster than many people do route 66, but would still be pretty reasonable 200-300 mile days on average and enough time to stop and see some of the roadside sights, shops, and so on.

The car's in good shape as far as I know. I bought it 4 years ago, and since then I've done a few major things in addition to a couple of minor ones. It's got a 360 engine with stock heads and a Comp 280H cam. The tranny's a 904 that used to leak pretty decently until I had it re-sealed. Rear-end is the small one (7 1/4?), which I've heard bad things about, but it does have a nice ratio for highway cruising (2.73:1?). BBP Rally wheels, but with adapters on the back since the axle is the smaller bolt pattern.

2 summers ago I completely rebuilt the suspension on both ends. Also put in a new exhaust (manifold-back), and a new carb (Holley), which has run well ever since I found a vacuum leak that was causing a lot of problems. I did a bit of the power tour (probably ~1000 miles round trip) about 3 years ago, so before the new suspension and before I'd fixed the vacuum leak, and the car held up pretty well. But that's nothing like putting 2500-3000 miles on it in a week and a half.

One thing I do think I'll need to take care of is re-attaching the parking brake since there are some legitimate hills on the way out there.

At any rate, I'm sure some of you guys have done longer trips in a-bodies before. What would be some of the things I should be thinking about to take care of on the car before starting a trip like this? Anything in particular to see/do on the way out on 66 specifically that ?

Still have a few months before this happens (early September) so I'm hoping with a full summer to plan/work on the car, I can make it happen.

Well i didnt go that far 230 some miles in my old rat rod dakota . I was at the front of the pack . If i was you i would take extra parts like an altnater, brain box,coil ,more then one spare tire, Duct tape, tools to do the job , gas pump and filter, water pump , I didnt take any of this stuff with me cuz i had AAA at the time . ........ Oh and wheel barrings . I will share some pics of my trip its been a few years so i cant really remeber what ever thing is lol But its all in Okl lol

In 2006, the wife and I drove east from Sacramento and joined Rt 66 in Oklahoma, the followed it through Arizona. I'd like to do it again, but next time i want to start in Illinois.

:cheers::happy1:

Attachments

• 33930250025_large.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 33930250029_large.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 33930250030_large.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 33930250031_large.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 33930250032_large.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 33930250033_large.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 291
  • 33930250034_large.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 290
  • 33930250049_large.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 33930250061_large.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 295
Made 29 or so trips cross country on 66 when I was younger, made 2 in my 65 Barracuda during the 80's and 90's. Hard to follow these days

Its funny seeing this as I was recently seriously considering this trip. I live in md, so I wanted to do from oc to st louis tolos angeles in my 68 dart gt using 66 when I got to chicago, but I opted to get all my projects done first and do this later when I can plan a little better and bring a friend or brother along. Good luck and let us know how you like it. Unfortunately I think it'll be hard to follow seeing as how it has been bypassed by so many interstate highways.

It's on my bucket list to do ...from pier to pier (Chicago to Calif.)

One recomendation - buy the program for your GPS for the Rt.66. It tends to disappear and reappear elswhere along the trip. There are some cool sights and places to visit along the way! (Also pre-programmed into the GPS)

I just did some portions of 66 from AZ back to TX. I'd get on 40 and then jump off onto 66. Some portions of 66 aren't very nice. I went to Winslow AZ and stood on the corner and bought souvenirs. Went to Santa Fe...which is a nice place to stay...Stayed at the El Rancho in Gallup..a lot of history there. I also stayed at the Blue Swallow, a really nice motor court (has garages) owned by a really nice couple, this is in Tucumcari. Which has some neat old buildings on 66. I also went to Shamrock TX to see the cool art deco Conoco gas station with the cool neon lights but 3 days before that they had a hail storm and most of the neon glass was on the ground. :(

I used 66 (and 40) from Oklahoma City to Amarillo to go get my Coronet.

I had fun with an icon of American history.

LOTS of miles with nothing but scenery.
Plan gas stops accordingly.

Looking at pictures and hearing you guys talk about it definitely makes me want to make this happen. I laid out a set of potential stops so that's one step closer! Once it gets a little closer to the trip I'll start up a new thread and try to get pictures up along the way.

I've got a set of maps and a guide book that have about as much detail as you could hope for trying to follow the original route. I'll see about the GPS programming though, that sounds like it would be nice especially if I end up driving it solo.

Dart Doctor, thanks for the parts list too, I'll keep that handy. I've got AAA but don't want to get stuck waiting on parts in the desert somewhere, so I don't think it'd hurt to throw a few spare items in.

Have fun, just pack some basic tools, and a few spare parts.
I would have an test light, some extra wire and volt meter with me.
Also a fire extingusher.

Hey Kahuna1949...Let me know if something comes up as far as a RT 66 drive and Ill go with ya!
Local RT 66 interest's here in the Sooner state/Oklahoma are "the blue whale" in between Claremore and Tulsa and in Dart Doctor's pic that was "Pop's" outside of OKC/Arcadia. Its a great stop with practiacally every soda ever made, they sell. The famous "Round Barn" still stands in that same area also. Both have been redone. Up in Miama, OK is the Coleman theater which is a pretty cool place and very historic to Rt 66.
Let us Okies know if you come through in September!!!!!!!
Todd

I'm going to do this one day do or die, and probably in a Dart. It's actually the main purpose I have in mind for my 72 /6 car. Working on it keeping the goal in mind to make it reliable enough to make it across the country. Once my son is old enough, maybe about 10, I want to drive it with him. Maybe I'll do it once before then just in case it's all gone by then. :(

Hey Kahuna1949...Let me know if something comes up as far as a RT 66 drive and Ill go with ya!
Local RT 66 interest's here in the Sooner state/Oklahoma are "the blue whale" in between Claremore and Tulsa and in Dart Doctor's pic that was "Pop's" outside of OKC/Arcadia. Its a great stop with practiacally every soda ever made, they sell. The famous "Round Barn" still stands in that same area also. Both have been redone. Up in Miama, OK is the Coleman theater which is a pretty cool place and very historic to Rt 66.
Let us Okies know if you come through in September!!!!!!!
Todd
the Round Barn was part of that trip i fell behind and didnt have enough time for pics ther lol Cool place ........ Here the big blue fishy ! Lets just say ive been there lol

I've got a set of maps and a guide book that have about as much detail as you could hope for trying to follow the original route. I'll see about the GPS programming though, that sounds like it would be nice especially if I end up driving it solo.

Had the opportunity to travel 66 & your wonderful country about 2 years ago. Meet up with some fellow FABO members, spent 20 days traveling from Nashville to LA.
Had an absolute blast, had no problems with driections & the local helped out.
Highly recommend the trip, enjoy.

I made a trip to Aline Ok Friday to get a 3.55 3rd member and came across one of the Rt 66 signs. It was right after I crossed under I40 on 281.

We made this trip about four yrs. ago and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Before you start, get a copy of, "Route 66 Traveler's Guide", by Tom Snyder. It's a turn by turn directional instruction book that will help you to see virtually every fence post along 66. This was the trip of a lifetime!
This year is the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Highway and we're planning to do it also. Be sure to stop at the Mid Point Café and have a piece of pie. HAVE FUN!

-
Back