Anyone gotten a patent?

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
I've checked in to a few of these "idea" outfits that all seem to promise they will take your money and give you nothing in return. The only thing that even looks close to legit is legal zoom on patent search and provisional application. I would love to hear from somebody that has experience in this realm.

BD

I've checked in to a few of these "idea" outfits that all seem to promise they will take your money and give you nothing in return. The only thing that even looks close to legit is legal zoom on patent search and provisional application. I would love to hear from somebody that has experience in this realm.

BD

My father had 3 of them in 18 countries back in the 70's. Drove him broke with all the attorneys fees and such. I had pondered getting a design patent on one of my own things back about 20 years ago. Maybe legal zoom is the best way nowadays. Patent attorneys are probably $150 to $500+ per hour. I would suggest picking up the book "Patent it yourself" by David Pressman (Nolo Press) Maybe it will give you some info on which way to go. That book sure helped me and had a plethora of information.

I acutally applied for a Design patent. About 10 years ago. Just was not refined enough, was trying to get the info together they wanted, never panned out for me. The patent? Was for a car that ran on battieries but had a smaller onboard engine to recharge while driving. Think Chevy Volt. MY idea 10 years ago.

I acutally applied for a Design patent. About 10 years ago. Just was not refined enough, was trying to get the info together they wanted, never panned out for me. The patent? Was for a car that ran on battieries but had a smaller onboard engine to recharge while driving. Think Chevy Volt. MY idea 10 years ago.

The first patent for such a thing was applied for in ~1905 by Henri Pieper. HIS idea, 110 years ago ;) (just funnin').

Getting a patent isn't tough, but you do need to be an expert on the subject to be successful. I've been involved in at least two dozen in the past 5 years. All prior art (things similar to, or which have inspired your design) need to be disclosed. This includes searching the patent office for similar items, looking for products and designs which are similar and then arguing why your idea is novel vs the other ideas.

That's the crux, it has to be novel. Not obvious, not an improvement (you can patent an improvement, but it's not a standalone thing, you'll still be liable to respect the patent of the original item being improved) and these days the patent office wants it to be more concrete. IE: buildable.

Then there's design vs utility patent. A utility patent is far more useful, since it patents a thing. A design patent only patents a design, or aesthetic, or appearance of a thing. Basically, you could put a design patent on the shape of a fender, but you wouldn't be owed royalties by everyone who makes a fender - only a person who makes a fender that is close in design/shape/appearance to your fender.

I considered getting one for a product I designed while in college, but the process was going to be quite expensive. I'd be curious to know how the process goes if you proceed.

First hybrid car I know of............out of Dyke's Automomobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia, 1911-1919

Woods Electric car

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3181/2579442558_1b4cca0a2d_o.jpg

2579442558_5d24d52959_z.jpg

and

The Entz system.......Works a bit like a diesel electric locomotive, but also with batteries. The engine drove a field winding of a generator, which rotated AROUND the generator armature, and the armature of the generator and motor were on the same shaft, driving the car. So the engine turned the field, which made power in the generator, which drove the motor. Quick acceleration was by battery

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3026/2579442310_ab7d5148b8_o.jpg

2579442310_7f684af26b_z.jpg

A buddy and I developed a rifle rest that used motors and a joystick to control elevation and windage. It took $10k and a lawyer to get a patent.

I found out the hardway. Paid one of "those" companies a few thousand over a period of
1 1/2 years. Then they basically said there were too many similar items to make it worth
while.
I said why didn't you figure that out $2500 ago. Shitstick!

A buddy and I developed a rifle rest that used motors and a joystick to control elevation and windage. It took $10k and a lawyer to get a patent.

^^ another gunsmith I used to work with patented an upgrade part for Glocks. He said exactly the same. 10K and a lawyer to get it done.

Patent Attorney is the way to go. To get a Patent is not as difficult as protecting the Patent especially in a foreign country. Been there done that. Hope it works out for you. "Nothing ventured nothing gained."

The Car I was applying for applying for was not a hybrid. It ran only off electric motors, the gas engine only recharged the cars batteries. 2 sets that could be recharged independently of the other.

Patent Attorney is the way to go. To get a Patent is not as difficult as protecting the Patent especially in a foreign country. Been there done that. Hope it works out for you. "Nothing ventured nothing gained."

Exactly. You need a strongly written patent to protect your rights. Defending it can be extremely expensive. Been there also. Copywrite law is much more protective and in general easier to defend. I have a few of those also.

I have 11 with a coworker. We had an on staff patent attorney for most of them.
Tom

-
Back