Anyone have trouble with T/A radials?

-
a good hooking street tire that seems to last a little better to me are cooper cobras. i plan on getting another set of these tires as i really liked them and the way the looked....getting 50000 miles out of just about any performance tire is good as they are usally alot softer compound. the coopers are a slightly harder compound but with a grip like the softer tires.

Either you missed the main point of Aaron's original post, or you don't put many miles on your car. :yawinkle:

His BFGs have only given him 32,000 miles (3 years) of service. On average, that's about 10K to 11K per year - a fairly reasonable amount of annual driving. If you drive the same average mileage for 5 to 8 years, you would be expecting to get 50K to 80K miles out of those BFGs you just bought. Won't happen.

That's his point - they didn't last long. Looking for some longer-lasting tires for the Duster we are building. But, in addition to the mileage, need tires that grip better on wet roads. A lot to ask for.

I don't put many miles on my car... perhaps 1,500 miles/year. I replaced the last set not because they were bald but since the rubber was pretty crusty (after 15 years).

Im running 215/70-14 Douglas Performance GTs and they are OK in the rain but I would recomend some Firestone Firehawks, they are great for everything!

BFG TA's are great for dry pavement and looks. That is it. If it is for a daily driver Big O legacys are the best for lasting and all around handling, but they are not a muscle car looking tire. If you are looking for a tire that looks good at lasts the Dunlop G/T Qualifiers are a great tire.

I have them on my duster. They ride fine. Ill let you know bout traction later

I sold alot of Futura GLS super sports with raised White letters and never had 1 complaint about handling or wear. In fact, Had a few return customers buying their second set. They are made by Cooper so they would be similiar to the Cooper Cobra.

Oh yeah, You can get them at Pep Boys.

I have used them since 1991.I have not any trouble with them at all.They wear good and last me along time.And yes they spin easy but what every street tire doesn't.They are not meant for high horse power motors.If you want to hook up use there T/A Drag Radials.I am not sure how much HP the drag radial can take.I will find out soon as my 383 has a few more miles put on it.Guess what I have on the back BFG Drag Radials.383 425 HP and a 4 speed.I will let you know.I got them to hook with a 400 hp 440 and an auto.
Jim

I see T/As on a lot of muscle cars, does anyone know why they are so popular if they are no good?

I've been on the verge of replacing my whitewalls with them but I'm glad I waited. How do Firestone Firehawks compare?

The BFG Radial TA has been the classic muscle car tire for many years. When it first came out the letter style and size was a bit smaller. It had the right look at the right time and has just hung on as "Accepted" replacement for the old originals.

It has never been a great tire, but none of the white letter tires are really what I would call a great tire.......

Its popular mostly because it looks great and is good enough.

I have ran them along with some others.... They get you down the road about as well as any other white letter tire IMHO.

You need to realize, they are not High Performance tires. They are little more than a budget radial.

I think 1968FormulaS340 just about nailed it there. It`s one of only a few tires that have the old school look, a solid white letter, and comes in a wide variety of "old" sizes. Not a great tire but one that fills a niche.

Buy the most expensive Goodyear tire you can afford.

I forgot, Hankook Radial H714, not a lettered tire but hooks good on ANYTHING, even snow and are a 70K tire. Im putting some of those on my cuda with the witewall out in a 205/75-14 on my original 'S' wheels....oh, and they are around $50-$70 a tire

AdamR, sorry about the 14's the Indy 500's are on there way out. I sold the last set we had a couple months ago... we still have a stock level of 4 and arn't getting any more... they were great tires and I wish Firestone would continue the line up ( I work for Brigestone/Firestone at a corp. owned store ). On a side note the Indy500's are the old SS20's So it is an old tire, I had a set of those on the '68 Charger I had as a teenager.
When I first saw this thred the first thing I thought abought was the BFG radial T/A's I put on my '68 Charger (after the SS20's... I worked at Super Shops at the time) If it was dry out they were fine. In the rain I hated them. Sad part is they are a good looking tire and come in a 14" that'll look good on my '68 Barracuda.

I've been running BFG T/A's for 25 years without a problem. Original poster said he got 32K miles out of them. He must drive like a girl, and therefore any tire will do. For Pete's sake, man, put yer foot in it! You should not be able to get 20K out of a set of anything. Drive the damn thing.
Same here 25+ years bfg's way to go a++

-
Back