anyone hear of 440source.com?

-

kempkan

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a 440 stroker to put in my '73 dart. I was wondering if anyone has used the stuff from 440 source or not. It's about half the price but is it going to be half the quality? I want to build the motor once and freshen it up once a year but not buy a new stroker kit. Should i go with something eagle or scat? But then again i heard eagle is having some casting problems too. Please give me some advice on doing it the right way.

I've personally used thier product in four builds. You are right to be conccerned, however the issues IMO are minor and easilly addressed during the build. They make a good product for a good price. But IMO most of what is on the site is hard sell. Some reality: The cranks are good. Not great. They do have some taper issues and you should have everything measured before anything gets used. I've not had one that was out of spec as far as taper or journal size. But I have had a couple that were right on the edge of bad due to taper. I also had one that was too small in the timing chain step too. Also, you will have to chamfer the rod bearings due to the huge radius on the fillets. This can be done carefully by your shop and they will have to. In case you're curious, pretty much all cheaper cranks have issues with finish quality. Which is why I say measure everything. Next, the rods... This is a pet peeve of mine because I wrote Brandon about it and nothing has ever been done. That was 4 years ago. The issues are on the small end, the pin to bushign clearance is not made with emery or sand paper as instructed, but rather a pin hone, and most need to be honed (they are too tight). Next the big ends... they assemble them with std oil, torque to the ARP lubed-fastener torque value, and then finish machine them. Except ARP bolts need ARP lube to run the low torque, or they need to be lubed with oil and torqued much higher before they are machined. The problem comes if you take the rods and cycle the bolts. Which is also not done but should be. This gets things into a repeatable pattern in terms of the bolts and the rods big end distortion from their load. When you cycle the bolts and use the correct lube (included with the rods) and torque to the spec ARP wants, the big ends distort like mad because the bolts are loading the rod more with the correct lube. As a result of this, the big ends need to be corrected. Lastly, the "weight macthed" is a bunch of BS. They consider the whoel rod weight matched. Well, the reason you have to have "matched weights" is becaus the ends of teh rods take different roles in the running engine. As such, all the small ends have to weight the same, and all the big ends have to weight the same. We dont care if the whole rod weighs the same so long as the ends do. They will tell you not to grind on the rods, but you have to in order to properly internal balance them because teh seperate weights are all over the place, just like a stock set of rods. Do not buy thier balancing as a result of this. Plan to balance in internally by your shop. Again, for the cost, it si a great product. However, assume there will be additional labor required to make the kit "right", and assume that to make it perfect, you will have to turn the crank down. And, as I said, all others.. Eagle, Scat, Ohio Crank, etc all have the same issues. I have not used K1, but I have builders I know that use them exclusively so that is a good place to look too.

what about the heads they have to offer? it said capable of 550 horse out of the box.

They lie on the heads... this disclaimer here for me is I havent held a set yet. Just going on other's results in terms of flow potential as delivered. You will want to use the 440Source head gaskets as the chambers are too large in one spot and can overhang, causing issues. You will also want to throw out the springs, retainers and locks and upgrade to better ones. I have yet to see OOTB flow numbers or valve springs as supplied that would support 550hp. Great value, but again, with a few caveats.

Thanks moper i have some kind of direction now on what to do. I'm going with the 440 source stuff and having the machine shop look it over. i think i might go with the hughesengines.com heads. they have a stage 2 edelbrock head (with head work done)they say it puts out about 627hp and the stage 3 puts about 725 out with the right cam and other parts. unless you have another suggestion i can check out let me know. thanks again moper!

It can be said that the same misinfo put out about the 440source heads, is done by Indy, Hughes, and most head vendors. The truth is they got that number at one point, or they simply take the best flow they ever got and times it by two. The headas are a critical part, but they are one part, and even if the cam and parts choices are perfect, the machining or assembly could be average and you'll never get that figure. So dont believe that you will make those numbers by running thier product. It's all to feed the "racing flowbenches" frenzy that is always around. If i was going to get a set of ported RPMs it would be from Jeff at Modern Cylinder Head. His CNC programs are hard to beat in terms of performance and cost.

Great reply moper. Real information, and not just the same stuff that's been repeated over and over. What do you suggest one would do for rods? Get theirs in the kit and resize them, or buy a la carte and get rods somewhere else? What about Muscle Motors? They say they get 313CFM at .600" lift out of a set of 906 heads with their CNC program.

I would use Brandon's rods again in a heartbeat. Just assume they are going to need work. They are still a good price even after the extras for a good part. Muscle Motors builds some great stuff. I havent seen the CNC 906s yet but it surprises me they can do it on a factory produced head (core shift being what it was). But unless there is a rule saying to run them, I wouldn't run iron on something this big. The FAST racers that run them might have better info on the heads. But talking to them about the engines can be like asking a Stock Eliminator guy what cam he uses...

-
Back