anyone here ever painted their Edelbrock intake?

-
Absolutely. LD340 painted doesn't look much different from stock manifold.
insulator3.jpg

I am into racing and put an aluminum intake on a motor for a performance upgrade. Painting an intake or powder coating them with hold more heat in.....

Not to be argumentative boosted, but can you please support that statement with some solid facts or direct us all to a credible source for follow up? Things like that can hurt a girl's business ...

Or you could ceramic coat it to keep the heat down...

Not to be argumentative boosted, but can you please support that statement with some solid facts or direct us all to a credible source for follow up? Things like that can hurt a girl's business ...

I guess all those factory cars with painted intakes must all get really hot then. boosted: Please support your statement with facts.

I would think the paint would keep it cooler! Like When a painted bottom on a Intake. Hot oil will drip off and not seat on the casting forever. Plus air pushes of paint more Easily than a Rough surface. That's my Theory.

I would think the paint would keep it cooler! Like When a painted bottom on a Intake. Hot oil will drip off and not seat on the casting forever. Plus air pushes of paint more Easily than a Rough surface. That's my Theory.

Exactly! That's why they make that cool stuff called Glyptol. It smooths the casting and helps speed the return of oil to the pan.

Heat soak from a hot head will build into the intake raising the temp of the air and fuel. Painted or coated will hold that heat in.. I would guess that yall big time racers know more than lets say every pro drag racer, every nascar team and every indy car/f1 team. But hey do it your way...

i always paint mine. they look goofy unpainted to me.

before... stupid looking in my opinion. looks to chevy guyish.

DSC02180.jpg

after.. much better...

DSC09924.jpg

5-17-05002.jpg

Heat soak from a hot head will build into the intake raising the temp of the air and fuel. Painted or coated will hold that heat in.. I would guess that yall big time racers know more than lets say every pro drag racer, every nascar team and every indy car/f1 team. But hey do it your way...

What reference source are you using for your statements? Please inform us with facts. We like to learn here too.

Boosted answer in a bit of a snooty-ish way IMO. The heat has to go through more/thicker surface to escape, the amount of "extra" heat retained would not effect a
Engines performance in any meaningful way for 99% of use in the world.

Top engine builders are not concerned with there engines looking stealthy/stock or even pretty with painted parts.

To make a blanket statement of
Painted or powder coated intakes or other parts as a power hindering problem is not only uncool, but certainly show stupidity on the posters behalf.

Making a reference of compare to top race builders/teams engines on relation to our very (by compare) mild engines is an insanity at it's mildest with true adjective words escaping me.

While there is a scientific way to up hold this, to think it would hurt/hinder engine performance in a detramental way for us street and mild race guy is CRAZY!!!!

I was afraid of the crossover heat, so i painted my intake with 1300 degree paint. normal engine paint probably would have worked fine on it though. A friend of mine bead blasted his intake and clear coated it. The clear ended up yellowing around the crossover.

IMG_1843.jpg

Those commercial spray can clear coats can do that.

I appreciate your explanation Boosted but, with all due respect, RumbleFish360 sums it up pretty well for the FABO contingent. Cosmetic coatings like I do are generally not used by racers -- they care more about the time slip than how they look crossing the beams.

Painted the 6 pack manifold on my 340 because I thought it would look better, since I have polished aluminum valve covers.

Also, Chrysler painted these manifolds hemi orange on both the AAR Cudas and T/A Challengers....if there was a problem associated with painting them I doubt they would have done so..... unless it's just another case of some assembly line painter getting carried away painting the engine, and not only painted the exhaust manifolds and hoses, but also the intake?!?

Attachments

• 340 dart engine--05-24-12 002 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 180
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 004 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 173
Boosted answer in a bit of a snooty-ish way IMO. The heat has to go through more/thicker surface to escape, the amount of "extra" heat retained would not effect a
Engines performance in any meaningful way for 99% of use in the world.

Top engine builders are not concerned with there engines looking stealthy/stock or even pretty with painted parts.

To make a blanket statement of
Painted or powder coated intakes or other parts as a power hindering problem is not only uncool, but certainly show stupidity on the posters behalf.

Making a reference of compare to top race builders/teams engines on relation to our very (by compare) mild engines is an insanity at it's mildest with true adjective words escaping me.

While there is a scientific way to up hold this, to think it would hurt/hinder engine performance in a detramental way for us street and mild race guy is CRAZY!!!!

My thoughts exactly. Thanks rumble.

My theory is that Wouldnt painting the engine block hold in heat to? I dont recall ever hearing someone say "i painted my engine and now it overheats!" Lol a layer of paint is what like 1/32" at most? I dont see how it could in anyway affect temperatures. The heat would just transfer to the paint and continue outward.

IMO i say paint them if you want and have no worries whatsoever.
personally i want to show off my aftermarket intake but im all for painting a stock one

-
Back