Anyone here live in the Eastern outskirts of Austin?

-
Maybe some context of my situation now would help. This is my house at the top of the hill here
View attachment 1716068415

This is my backyard
View attachment 1716068416

And the pole barn where I get to spend some quality time working on the old car. Concrete floor, insulated, wired, lights, and it has a heated/air conditioned workshop inside.
View attachment 1716068417

I've got 12 acres here now. This is my backfield where I get to cut up the trees that come down for firewood. I didn't even have a chainsaw before I bought this place almost 10 years ago, but I found there's something strangely enjoyable about cutting up firewood.
View attachment 1716068423

And for comparison, my property taxes here are $2900 a year. And I have less than 2 years left on the mortgage.

I could realistically expect to get about mid 3's for this place, which won't buy me anything even close down there. The more I think about this, the more it doesn't make too much sense. The job sounds like a dream job, but I don't know if the rest of the deal is worth it.
I think you answered your own question. Stay where you are. Chasing the almighty dollar will not come close to the freedom you have now on your current property

^^^^^^ OK N.Y. (ie Steve welder!!!!) guy, the above constitutes my idea of a "chithole" and does not matter how big the salary is, but that is just me. Add in the usual big city crime, screwed up big city school systems, high prop tax,etc. and everyone that must buy a bigger house than the next guy.......
No, you clearly stated what constituted a "chithole".
There is crime and illegal drug use everywhere, add in teen pregnancies, alcoholism, addiction,abuse and rural America is not immune, in fact its just as much prevalent there as anywhere
Seeing that 6 people including 3 children just lost their lives to yet another maniac armed with two semi auto rifles and a handgun in Tenn. just this morning, I wouldn't be bitching about liberal Austin

I could use some info on what the area is like. I'm in the mid stages of interviewing for an engineering position with a company that has a large factory just outside of Austin. This is a company everyone has heard of. The job itself sounds fantastic and the pay would be very good.

At first I was a little discouraged after looking at the housing options. The properties close to Austin, like Hornsby Bend, Manor, etc. seem very over priced and the houses are on absolutely tiny lots, jammed together in high density neighborhoods. However when you go further out, like Elgin and Bastrop the options get much better. There you can get at least a half to one acre lot, and some places even more than that, but of course the prices are significantly higher too.

The whole region seems to have grown very fast. I’m wondering what the commute would be like with all those people heading towards the city in the morning and then away in the evening. I wouldn’t actually have to drive into Austin, the factory is just to the East of the airport, but I’m guessing I’d still be stuck in the rat race to some extent.

Anyone live in the area that could give me their thoughts? Is it still nice or has it gotten too crowded?
I've been in and around Austin for for well over 20 years (excluding a couple years in Seattle, which was't my best move.) I'll offer you some good insight from an actual resident.

I lived in Manor for a time and drove through Hornsby Bend every day. Honrsby is close to the gigafactory, but not a great area. The houses there used to be cheap, and now they're expensive cheap houses. Manor houses south of 290 are too expensive for what you get (I bought one in 2009 for just over 100K, now it's worth 300), and even more unreasonable on the golf course side. It gets better to the east. Elgin might not be too bad, and it gets even more rural the further you go. There are some nice small towns out there. Trafficwise in that area, 71 sucks going west the closer you get to the airport. It's probably way worse with Tesla now. You could find an alternative by driving north of the gigafactory and then east..
We live in Buda now, which is just south of Austin. Many former Austinites have fled down here. Kyle is just south and pretty nice too. Unfortunately, Buda prices are inflated now, but nowhere near Austin level. There is actually still some good open space down here, and the schools are better than Austin. I can get to downtown Austin in 20 minutes or so most parts of the day, so it's a good alternative.

So, what about Austin? First came the condo towers and then the influx of all the tech companies. With the tech companies came well compensated employees from out of state paying ridiculous over asking prices for houses, and now the price of real estate is beyond stupid. Nobody I know can afford to live in Austin proper anymore.
Austin is a progressive city, and it has it's progressive city problems. The homeless population, almost a total lack of a police force, big money spent on public transportation projects that may or may not ever happen... The traffic is ridiculous and forget about public transportation. Austin used to have a cool vibe and was arguably the live music center of the universe; a cool place to spend much of my 20's. That cool vibe is mostly gone now. You wouldn't catch me anywhere near 6th Street on a weekend night. it's violent and not a good scene anymore. I miss the old Austin.
Is Austin a "chit hole?" No. People who've never lived here apparently think so. It's just another big generic city now.

What's good about living here? Tech- you can make a lot of money with no state income tax. Good BBQ and overall food scene. Texans are generally friendly, agreeable people. Lots of sunshine here most of the year. The Midwest winter can be long and grey.

The big thing for me is the heat. It's HOT. I mean like surface of the sun hot. And it's not a "dry heat," it's humid now, and I swear it gets worse every year. Mowing your lawn for two hours in August could kill you. You're not doing much outside for months. I've always said anyone thinking about coming here should have to visit for a week in August. My wife and I will move out of here the second my kid graduates from high school just because of the heat.
Oh ****, it's hot.jpeg

So, come down here, rent a house south of the city for a few years, make a bunch of money and take it back to a more comfortable place.

No, you clearly stated what constituted a "chithole".
There is crime and illegal drug use everywhere, add in teen pregnancies, alcoholism, addiction,abuse and rural America is not immune, in fact its just as much prevalent there as anywhere
Seeing that 6 people including 3 children just lost their lives to yet another maniac armed with two semi auto rifles and a handgun in Tenn. just this morning, I wouldn't be bitching about liberal Austin

You are talking out your *** as usual. I have lived in the rurl areas all my 75 year old life. Sure there are drugs, teen pregancies, alcoholism, balh blah blah anywhere and everywhere there are PEOPLE and crazy people sometimes with a desire to kill, BUT the difference is the sheer nmber of people in urban areas make all a bigger problem. Cops in Houston are overworked and yes underpaid, and just what 2 years ago the idiots there were screaming to defund the police. George phoebia. Gangs are rampant. Why? 90% of them came over illegally to better pickens.

Funny how this county has not seen a murder in 40 odd years and he killer was just passing thru.

Yea Austin is a high dollar city. Plenty good to say about it IF you want solve there. Plenty of reason many people chose NOT to live in Austin or Houston of N.Y. City.

You will never convince me. Watch the local Houston news tonight if you can, you will see it is a chithole.

You are talking out your *** as usual. I have lived in the rurl areas all my 75 year old life. Sure there are drugs, teen pregancies, alcoholism, balh blah blah anywhere and everywhere there are PEOPLE and crazy people sometimes with a desire to kill, BUT the difference is the sheer nmber of people in urban areas make all a bigger problem. Cops in Houston are overworked and yes underpaid, and just what 2 years ago the idiots there were screaming to defund the police. George phoebia. Gangs are rampant. Why? 90% of them came over illegally to better pickens.

Funny how this county has not seen a murder in 40 odd years and he killer was just passing thru.

Yea Austin is a high dollar city. Plenty good to say about it IF you want solve there. Plenty of reason many people chose NOT to live in Austin or Houston of N.Y. City.

You will never convince me. Watch the local Houston news tonight if you can, you will see it is a chithole.
Sure im talking out my *** and you have all the answers, blah blah blah.
Texas ranks 15 in the most dangerous states, New York ranks 26. Why is that?
You said " the sheer number of people in urban areas makes all a bigger problem". No kidding.

I've been in and around Austin for for well over 20 years (excluding a couple years in Seattle, which was't my best move.) I'll offer you some good insight from an actual resident.

I lived in Manor for a time and drove through Hornsby Bend every day. Honrsby is close to the gigafactory, but not a great area. The houses there used to be cheap, and now they're expensive cheap houses. Manor houses south of 290 are too expensive for what you get (I bought one in 2009 for just over 100K, now it's worth 300), and even more unreasonable on the golf course side. It gets better to the east. Elgin might not be too bad, and it gets even more rural the further you go. There are some nice small towns out there. Trafficwise in that area, 71 sucks going west the closer you get to the airport. It's probably way worse with Tesla now. You could find an alternative by driving north of the gigafactory and then east..
We live in Buda now, which is just south of Austin. Many former Austinites have fled down here. Kyle is just south and pretty nice too. Unfortunately, Buda prices are inflated now, but nowhere near Austin level. There is actually still some good open space down here, and the schools are better than Austin. I can get to downtown Austin in 20 minutes or so most parts of the day, so it's a good alternative.

So, what about Austin? First came the condo towers and then the influx of all the tech companies. With the tech companies came well compensated employees from out of state paying ridiculous over asking prices for houses, and now the price of real estate is beyond stupid. Nobody I know can afford to live in Austin proper anymore.
Austin is a progressive city, and it has it's progressive city problems. The homeless population, almost a total lack of a police force, big money spent on public transportation projects that may or may not ever happen... The traffic is ridiculous and forget about public transportation. Austin used to have a cool vibe and was arguably the live music center of the universe; a cool place to spend much of my 20's. That cool vibe is mostly gone now. You wouldn't catch me anywhere near 6th Street on a weekend night. it's violent and not a good scene anymore. I miss the old Austin.
Is Austin a "chit hole?" No. People who've never lived here apparently think so. It's just another big generic city now.

What's good about living here? Tech- you can make a lot of money with no state income tax. Good BBQ and overall food scene. Texans are generally friendly, agreeable people. Lots of sunshine here most of the year. The Midwest winter can be long and grey.

The big thing for me is the heat. It's HOT. I mean like surface of the sun hot. And it's not a "dry heat," it's humid now, and I swear it gets worse every year. Mowing your lawn for two hours in August could kill you. You're not doing much outside for months. I've always said anyone thinking about coming here should have to visit for a week in August. My wife and I will move out of here the second my kid graduates from high school just because of the heat.
View attachment 1716069367

So, come down here, rent a house south of the city for a few years, make a bunch of money and take it back to a more comfortable place.
Thank you for your post
Id only add if you had a police dept like NYPD as well as other services we have here, that might help your city
Yes, it costs tax dollars but worth it in the end...... 112 and humid is tough, I prefer the Jersey shore on a summers day

We have an old friend who recently moved to the Austin area, but he is disabled (MS). He also sold in Pasadena (California, not Texas) to move there. We also know a relatively young couple (he's 37-ish, not really sure about her) who moved there, but she's from there. Our old friend seems to be enjoying himself, but after leaving SoCal, who wouldn't?

One thing I gotta say... Lotta people mentioning Austin Traffic.... I've been caught in a lot of Austin Traffic jams... I've also been in a lot of LA & SF traffic jams.... There's no comparison... I'll take all the Austin traffic jams you got over an LA commute.....

Sure im talking out my *** and you have all the answers, blah blah blah.
Texas ranks 15 in the most dangerous states, New York ranks 26. Why is that?
You said " the sheer number of people in urban areas makes all a bigger problem". No kidding.
Texas is dangerous. I just have to wonder how the pen border ties into this???? hum?????

The larger the city and the more people are packed into a small space, the more problems.

This rural county here, go ask an deputy sheriff who the county criminals are and they can tell you 99% of them. Mostly drug trade.

Why no cat convertor thieves where Houston has 1000s of them? Because they might be thieves but understand in the rural county 99% of he homes are armed and loaded and a big dog is in the yard, and few people here are worried about shooting a thief if needed. Just other week, an off duty Houston cop came on 2 cat thieves under his pickup, he was unarmed and they killed him. His wife and family will miss him. The community will miss him.

I guess it is a fact, the rat race does not make the city a chit hole.
He who dies with the most toys and $$$ wins. Or does he?????

Texas is dangerous. I just have to wonder how the pen border ties into this???? hum?????

The larger the city and the more people are packed into a small space, the more problems.

This rural county here, go ask an deputy sheriff who the county criminals are and they can tell you 99% of them. Mostly drug trade.

Why no cat convertor thieves where Houston has 1000s of them? Because they might be thieves but understand in the rural county 99% of he homes are armed and loaded and a big dog is in the yard, and few people here are worried about shooting a thief if needed. Just other week, an off duty Houston cop came on 2 cat thieves under his pickup, he was unarmed and they killed him. His wife and family will miss him. The community will miss him.

I guess it is a fact, the rat race does not make the city a chit hole.
He who dies with the most toys and $$$ wins. Or does he?????
We agree that drugs are the scourge of this Nation, the reason for crime, deaths from overdose and the destruction of any semblance of family. We would also id think agree that many illegal drugs flow into this country from south of the border
Were we might not agree is the vast majority of immigrants illegal or not are trying to enter this country out of desperation, trying to escape poverty and or violence
It's just a fact that the more people that populate any given city the more crime there would be, thats just common knowledge.
My point was in an earlier post that I failed to make if you look at the factual information, Houston as per population has a much higher rate of violent crime as compared to NYC.
Generally speaking you are safer walking the streets of NYC than Houston or many other cities in the country
Thats not to say there is no crime, there is plenty of that and there is areas I will not walk in
So why is Houston so dangerous? One reason id say is policing and prosecutors. NYC has the best trained police and best funded department in the Nation. But that translates into higher taxes, so folks need to pick their poison and decide with their votes what they want
I dont understand the comments you made about "he who dies with the most toys and $$$ wins".
Do you think working class people chose to live in cities to get rich?
All I know is it's a sad time when folks, parents grandparents (me) have to worry about their children going to school and having some sick ?uck break in with a semi auto weapon and that has happened in rural areas as well as more populated

^^^I say so many people live and work in big cities becaue of the much higher $$$ salaries. That is the draw. Or some live is big cities because they love the convenience and the lifestyle. That is their choice. That was a joke about "he who dies with the most toys and $$ wins"> but many people subscribe to that othrwise they would choose a life more to their liking even if the $$$ was not as great.

Houston has a crime problem because of its size, the flood of illegal CRIME people that flow in, a liberal city govn'ment that one day wants to defund the cops because it was popular in that Liberal city to scream BAD COPS KILLED George and then the net day scream crime and murder is out of hand, we NEED more cops!!!!

Yes vast majority of illegals want a better life, I want more $$$, a bigger TV and steak every night but to get what I want today means I would have to commit a CRIME and that is what they do when they come into this country illegally.

Some folks obviously dont have a clue about living in a "big city". People work and live here because of the opportunities and while the salary's may be higher, housing and utilities cost more.
Id like to live in a less populated area and that was the plan come retirement, it didnt pan out.
My family came here because of jobs, my father picked up other peoples trash for 36 years, he bought a four room house and raised a family as a result of that job. Like him, I stayed here and worked and raised a family
If that getting rich, its news to me
It always strikes me how some keep on labelling others and the place they live, meanwhile they have nothing much to say when children doing something so innocent as going to school are victims of senseless shootings....again

^^^So big cities have NO school shootings?????
Senseless acts that are carried out by mental people that need to be institutionalized BEFORE it happen, but that costs money and all the mental hospitals have maybe be changed over to state pens.

Yea I should have called Austin bad names, it is an extremely high income, much valued city by most that live there and it' s politics suit most of its far Left citizens.

Back about 1994 orso I was 34 years old, lived in the sticks of N W Missouri, district sales mgr. for a major ag co. Great place and people. Maybe once a year I would have to fly to Mi. to the home office by way of Chicago. So there I was on that jet sitting next to a guy in a suit that starts small talk. Asks about where I live and what I do. He then tells me how he lives in Chicago and wishes he had my deal He hates the city, the crime, the politics pretty much everything, but can't leave that money to live somewhere else.

So I give him my take on life. I tell him, yea I could make more money somewhere else, but the things in life that are more important to me means that I live out in the country, in a state that I love, and when NOT working, I am able to do and have the things that are meaningful to me. Or if one day I need to take off a couple of days from my job for ME, I can...No office to go to, no one to ask permission, I just do my thing.

I also tell him HOW I have seen people ever since I was a child that worked all their lives just to live for that day they finally retire move to where they want to live, and can go full time at the "hobbies" they had always dreamed about. Then I tell him just how many, many people I have seen get to about 55 or 60 or 65 and yep retire, and/or then BOOM, they find themselves too old and/or in poor health or just DIE and never find that joy they had dreamed about all their lives.

I realize what works me, for what has always been important to me, is not for everyone. But If I die tomorrow, I can say I did the things is life while I could do them and enjoy it all.

Salado is a small town north of Austin. It’s a nice little town it would be about a 45 minute commute. San Marcus is another town south of Buda you can take the toll road to the east side of Austin with very little traffic and 80mph. I commuted to Austin from San Antonio for 3 years. The governor is also signing a property tax bill that will lower all homestead exemptions because of the states surplus.

Explain than how crime is lower in Austin than many other major cities in Texas but yet to quote you its politics suit its far left citizens.

Explain than how crime is lower in Austin than many other major cities in Texas but yet to quote you its politics suit its far left citizens.
I asked my wife this question couple days ago. She is 5th generation Texan. She ws raised near Llano ranching community hour or so North of Austin. Here is her take and NO she has not a predujiced bone in her body.

It all boils down to the general quality of people. What perentage of the whites, the blacks, the browns are honest and hard working non criminal types and HOW the kids are raised by each group. What is the quality of education? Why put people in groups? Because thats life.
Life goes to chit when the parents are honest but the kids are raised to have to NO values. Another factor here. How many Mex. gangs end up in Houston vs Austin or Llano?????? The answer to Llano is ZERO.

How many cat convertors are stole very night in Houston vs Austin? Murders? Home invasions? Burglery? Rapes? Domestic violence? How many TONS of Fentenol??????How manyy illegals died locked in a semi trailer??? How many cops died????

Austin has old r/e residentual areas as does any city/town but Austins area has on average better citizens there. Better as in honest and not criminals. Austin draws more tech industry and it draws more $$$$ people in general and Houston although very prosperous in general is different. In general, the "lower end" pop. is different. Steve points out stats and stats tell the truth. I don't have to bother to verify I know it is true. Usually, crime happens in lower end communities not so much in the upper end. OK so a millionaire can go nuts and kill his wife, family and then himself. It happens. But he doesn't get caught stealing converots and shoot a cop.

Politics?? Both Houston and Austin are both very LIBERAL so politics have no real meaning as to why and what. IF the quality of gov' ment of Austin is of a much higher level, then that is a big factor. Voters? There are plenty of well educated smart people in both cities, but what is the percentage of idiots that are voters??????????

Ther is a difference in everything in this old world.

I asked my wife this question couple days ago. She is 5th generation Texan. She ws raised near Llano ranching community hour or so North of Austin. Here is her take and NO she has not a predujiced bone in her body.

It all boils down to the general quality of people. What perentage of the whites, the blacks, the browns are honest and hard working non criminal types and HOW the kids are raised by each group. What is the quality of education? Why put people in groups? Because thats life.
Life goes to chit when the parents are honest but the kids are raised to have to NO values. Another factor here. How many Mex. gangs end up in Houston vs Austin or Llano?????? The answer to Llano is ZERO.

How many cat convertors are stole very night in Houston vs Austin? Murders? Home invasions? Burglery? Rapes? Domestic violence? How many TONS of Fentenol??????How manyy illegals died locked in a semi trailer??? How many cops died????

Austin has old r/e residentual areas as does any city/town but Austins area has on average better citizens there. Better as in honest and not criminals. Austin draws more tech industry and it draws more $$$$ people in general and Houston although very prosperous in general is different. In general, the "lower end" pop. is different. Steve points out stats and stats tell the truth. I don't have to bother to verify I know it is true. Usually, crime happens in lower end communities not so much in the upper end. OK so a millionaire can go nuts and kill his wife, family and then himself. It happens. But he doesn't get caught stealing converots and shoot a cop.

Politics?? Both Houston and Austin are both very LIBERAL so politics have no real meaning as to why and what. IF the quality of gov' ment of Austin is of a much higher level, then that is a big factor. Voters? There are plenty of well educated smart people in both cities, but what is the percentage of idiots that are voters??????????

Let's keep our eye on the ball here. You wrote Austin is a liberal **** hole. You could have written Austin is a city which has a large amount of liberal voting people but you equated Austin to a **** hole for one reason and one reason only
Everything else is just opinions

BTW I agree with a lot of what your wife says....Im sure she is a lovely person
Were I live was much less populated with less crime and a better quality of life when I grew up in the 50's and sixties. When my father moved here from the lower east side of Manhattan in the early 1930's it was like the country
The beginning of the end was when the Verrazano bridge and the highway that connected it to the Goethals bridge was opened in the mid sixties. Connecting New Jersey to Brooklyn. People flocked here to escape the overcrowding and higher real estate costs in other parts of the city.....Now all these decades later if I owned a 40' by 100' buildable lot, I could get half a million for it easily.
The way it looks now, we will live here at least until one of us dies but living here and having access to the medical facilities is the reason why after 12 years my wife is still alive and its also the reason I have the life I have
Everything in life is a compromise and im grateful for the life I have

Another point Steve made is fact that Houston's criminal courts are baked up so very far. Part is die to the size of Houston compared to Austin. I believe Houston is like the nation's 3rd largest city maybe. Part of the back up is due to the utlra Liberal city management. It is pretty pitiful when a perp is arrested for murder, then out on a pretty small bail and a few weeks later arrested for another murder. I know, innocent until proved guilty! I don't remember if he was released the second time for another bail or not!

I am by no way saying where people should live.

Another point Steve made is fact that Houston's criminal courts are baked up so very far. Part is die to the size of Houston compared to Austin. I believe Houston is like the nation's 3rd largest city maybe. Part of the back up is due to the utlra Liberal city management. It is pretty pitiful when a perp is arrested for murder, then out on a pretty small bail and a few weeks later arrested for another murder. I know, innocent until proved guilty! I don't remember if he was released the second time for another bail or not!

I am by no way saying where people should live.
I never made any point about Houstons criminal court
Again with the "liberal" comments
So thats the way it goes, high crimes its liberal, law and order its the right wing
Pretty strange that Texas is as red as red can be and low lives who commit capital offences are realised on low bail

I never made any point about Houstons criminal court
Again with the "liberal" comments
So thats the way it goes, high crimes its liberal, law and order its the right wing
Pretty strange that Texas is as red as red can be and low lives who commit capital offences are realised on low bail
If you commit a crime in Houston, you go thru the Houston court system. Liberal judges tend to offer low bails. Houston is hugely Liberal. Rural Tx. is hugely conservative and so is their court system. Houston's criminal courts are overwhelmed, and were before Covid but the Liberal county judge system there that was responsible for shutting down courts, restaurants bars and gyms added to the back log and now it is huge.

Fact is both Houston an Austin are very Liberal in all aspects, but for my nickle, I would not trade 10 Houstons for 1 Austin.

end of story.

Sorry, I just realized I never came back to follow up on this. On Monday I emailed the contact from Tesla back and let him know I’d like to remove myself from consideration. The potential job was for the automation in the battery manufacturing portion of their factory. When I spoke with him on the first round of interviews he said they build most of their machines in-house, which is right up my alley since I’ve been doing controls engineering for 30 years now. But as I’ve noted, in the big scheme of things it wasn’t right for me.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to share their thoughts and experiences. It helped me to make a much more informed decision.

-
Back