Anyone here paint cars as a hobby?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I enjoy it. I painted my first car in 1996. Since then I have painted 19 or 20 cars and trucks, plus some panel repaint jobs.
I almost always have materials left over after a job. Many times I have more paint than anything else. I'm curious though about compatibility between brands.
Do most reducers/thinners mix well within their type? In clearer terms, is it likely that an Omni single stage reducer would work with PPG paints? The paint store guys won't offer up this info unless I ask. I have found through some experimentation that cross breeding often causes no harm. I have used Omni reducers with Nason paints. I have used Sikkens catalyst with PPG.
Its not that I am some adventurous amateur chemist. Its just that with several cans of paint stuff with a few ounces here and there, it is a shame to just waste it. Sometimes I only need a few ounces for a spot repair or to paint a small part.

I have mixed and matched different brands when it comes to primers and never had any issues on small stuff. When it comes to making it count I always stay to alike brands. Whenever I shot a car it is always the same, painting rear ends, suspension parts not such a big deal. As far as paint brands you get what you pay for.

yes i paint a lot ...i went to auto school for painting ...thats where i learned how

the main parts of paint are resin, pigment, binder and solvent so as long its of a similar resin ....i would mix and match stuff around

Omni is a PPG product but it is a different resin but similar ....different resins will cost different ...i would definately mix it with Sikkens ...sikkens is kinda expensive though ....the other brand you mentioned im not familiar with that .

as long as your not mixing uerathenes, with enamals or laquers and as long as your not traping solvents in ...i dont see why there is not flexibility in mixing....if you keep track of what your mixing.:coffee2:

You can use any Omni reducer in place of DT reducers, They are less aggressive but work fine i do it all the time. You can use Omni 167-168 Harder in place of DU hardners the ratio mixing is the same. DCX61 is a totally different mixing ratio. So if you want to use Concept clear or DCC single stage just use the mixing ratio for du hardners. You can also use Omni reducers to thin Epoxy primer to a sealer it levels it out more flat. Omni Epoxy mix ratio is 2-1-1/2 the 1/2 is omni reducer.

i sure wish they still made DP-90 epoxy and K36 surfacer ...that was some goooood stuff....but i heard that it didnt meet EPA standards and discontiued ....but if they still made i would not have ventured into mix my own territory LOL

so far i have had good luck with Omni epoxy ...MP170

i usually stay with some PPG line

DBU was another good one that was discontinued....that stuff color matched sooo good LOL

i sure wish they still made DP-90 epoxy and K36 surfacer ...that was some goooood stuff....but i heard that it didnt meet EPA standards and discontiued ....but if they still made i would not have ventured into mix my own territory LOL

DBU was another good one that was discontinued....that stuff color matched sooo good LOL
DBU had no shelf life niether did the cataylist for it. But your right it matched good. DP still is on the market its known as DPLF...Lead free same as Omni....Paint rep told me years ago the two products are the same why pay for DP.

Thanks guys. Good info so far.
Last year, I wanted to paint my old beater pickup, but wanted to use the paint that I had on hand. I had about a quart each of B-5 blue Omni. One was single stage, the other was base coat. I mixed them and ended up with a semi gloss sheen. No problem for me because the truck is used for hauling and various dirty jobs.
I have a few cans of clear coat around here, a few ounces apiece. Deltron, PPG, Shopline and EuroCoat. I'm tempted to blend them and see what happens.
No matter what, I'm sure that my eyebrows will grow back. :D

Using the omni products and omni DP I have noticed more shrink back as apposed to the other PPG stuff. We can't afford to have stuff come back so we use the good ppg and glasurit stuff the first time.

Using the omni products and omni DP I have noticed more shrink back as apposed to the other PPG stuff. We can't afford to have stuff come back so we use the good ppg and glasurit stuff the first time.
What do you mean shrink back, I been using it for years and never had a issue with it, I use it for overalls and spot repair. Its a catalyst product, If its shrinking its either not cured before top coat or its not being mixed properly.

Mixed, applied and cured per spec sheet, always seems to shrink more then the better stuff. If your gonna cut and buff it I saposse it's not a huge deal but the clears also seem to die quicker when left in the weather like most people do.

Mixed, applied and cured per spec sheet, always seems to shrink more then the better stuff. If your gonna cut and buff it I saposse it's not a huge deal but the clears also seem to die quicker when left in the weather like most people do.
Are talking die back? If so, if its cured die back shouldn't happen. Ive been using these products for 3 decades and have been a certified PPG refinish tech since 1992. Ever since they took the lead out of epoxy primer the dry times slowed down drasticly. I wouldn't top coat epoxy for at least 2-3 hours after the second coat has been applied. Better yet over night but I know its kinda hard if your working in a production shop.

As stated they still make DPLF I like it... DP was better... DPLF does dry slow, white has little pigment so I tend to mix a little grey with it. They also make K36 as I use it every day.

I loved K200 that was some good stuff that the EPA took from us. Hell I still have some Sentari I found the other day that still looks fine! Hell I just want to find something to paint to see how she works.

Done a dozen,or so cars over the years.Loved K200.Closest thing,I found is PCL catalyst primer.Doesn't do as well as K200.Grew up on Centari single stage.For it's time,one of the sweetest acrylic enamels on the market.Stuff,lays like glass done right.

-
Back